• No Round Chambered, Safety Off

6 7.89%
  • Other

9 11.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your carry variables?

What are your carry variables?

I carry with no round chambered and safety off. I worry about the consequences of response time and failing to properly rack the slide, but I feel safer.

3. Gotta love those variables

I prefer not to carry a round in the chamber for many reasons....and my KelTec has no safety.
    So...no round, brain and holster on?:D

I carry my 1911 in condition 1 because cocked and locked is how Mr. Browning designed it.

With two safeties and a good holster where you can't get your finger in the trigger when drawing and re-holstering ND's should be non-existent

Round chambered, safety off.

My pistols have a heavy DA trigger that do the duty of a 'safety'. If I ever needed my pistol, I would not want to have to rack that slide. It better be in action right away after leaving its hiding place.

6. Round chambered

That brings me to a question for the experienced gun guys: do you not see any possible value in the act of chambering a round being, in itself, a major deterrent to the BG in continuing whatever it is he's doing?
    Last edited by Ziggy; 09-28-2007 at 11:50 PM.

I won't carry a weapon unless it's ready to go! The time it takes to rack a round could cost you your life. What happens if someone shoots you before you have time to pull your weapon and rack it? What if you are hit in the arm or hand? You are dead! If I'm carrying my 45 it's cocked, locked and the safety is off. This is the normal way to carry a 1911 style weapon. A safety on an automatic is useless if it's a DAO. Just like a revolver you have to pull the trigger all the way back to have it fire. Kel-Tec's, Kahr and other manufactures make their weapons without safeties for a reason...it's not needed. The trigger pull averages around 5+ lbs on these weapons and it takes a deliberate pull of the trigger to fire. Some hammer type autos do have a safety but most are a decocking lever. This caused the hammer to fall and rest against a hammer block. Bottom line is if you carry your weapon in a holster and leave it there until you need it It's not going to fire on it's own! All my weapons are carried with a round in the chamber and the safety is off if it has a safety!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Since the whole point of carrying a gun is to ensure that it is dependably available at a moments notice, I only carry a gun which I trust with a round in the chamber... and I do so, in the manner the specific gun was designed. With the revolvers, I load all of the chambers ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That brings me to a question for the experienced gun guys: do you not see any possible value in the act of chambering a round being, in itself, a major deterrent to the BG in continuing whatever it is he's doing?
    I think legally using a weapon as a deterrent would be against the law. A CCW holder is not part of law enforcement. By definition all state laws on use of force state you can only use your weapon if your life is in danger or think it's in danger. I was told if you pull your weapon you had better prepared to fire it.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

10. round chambered safety off.

Speaking of safeties, the ONLY safety a firearm needs is the one between your ears, and if that safety is insufficient I am sure you will be welcomed to the Brotherhood of the Darwin Awards!

I voted 'chambered/on'. I carry Glocks, so technically, it was an accurate vote, but its really more like chambered/off, and that's OK. Proper holster, trigger finger discipline, follow the 4 rules, etc.

If someone's violently threatening me, or someone that I choose to defend, in a manner that warrants the use of deadly force, I don't want there to be any more required actions than draw aim/point, and press. The more you have to do before you're ready to fire, the more time it takes and the greater the chance of a fatal fumble on your part. Also, while the action of, and sound from, racking a slide may seem menacing, it also tells the BG if he is going to shoot you, that he better hurry. No need for me to urge him into speeding up - I want him as confused and stunned as possible if I'm having to draw reactively to his actions.
    Luke 22:35-36

كافر

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast