Man Shoots Self In Leg Defending Car
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Shoots Self In Leg Defending Car

Man Shoots Self In Leg Defending Car

Ok here is another "accidental shooting." I figured I'd post this because it's a good "what if" scenario. So pick apart what this guy did right/wrong and what you would have done in the same scenario.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr...?news-breaking
    A man shot himself in the leg about 6 a.m. today as he wrestled with someone trying to break into his car in St. Petersburg, said George Kajtsa of the St. Petersburg Police Department.

Kajtsa said a man at 10265 Gandy Boulevard heard his car alarm and saw a man trying to break into the vehicle. He grabbed his gun and confronted the man, and as they wrestled over the gun the car owner was shot in the leg, Kajtsa said.

Though wounded, he kept the intruder there and called police, who arrested the intruder, Kajtsa said.

No further details were available
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Wouldn't even consider doing that in MI. Property crimes just don't count. The fact that he had to make an effort, (i.e. wasn't in the car), doesn't in my mind sit well. Criminal or not, taking a life over 'stuff' isn't an equal equation IMOP. I may get some heat from this stance but it's mine. I'm not saying I wouldn't try to intervene, but I hope I wouldn't make the mistake of getting that close in proximaty to the perp if armed.

Well the first thing that I would not do is shoot myself in the leg. If they had to wrestling for the gun he allowed the guy to get to close to him. That is why you have a gun, so that you do not have to get up close and personal.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by skipjack_1st View Post
    Wouldn't even consider doing that in MI. Property crimes just don't count. The fact that he had to make an effort, (i.e. wasn't in the car), doesn't in my mind sit well. Criminal or not, taking a life over 'stuff' isn't an equal equation IMOP. I may get some heat from this stance but it's mine. I'm not saying I wouldn't try to intervene, but I hope I wouldn't make the mistake of getting that close in proximaty to the perp if armed.
    My instructor taught the class to go armed, but not pointed. Keep your gun in your hand, but behind your back. From about 10 yards scream out, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" If they turn & run, you've done your deed. Call the police. If they rush you, POOOL ZEE TREEGOR OOONTEEL EET GOES "CLEEEEEK". The perp just changed from another break-in artist to an attacker.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Yeah I agree. There is no reason the thief should have been that close to 'wrestle with the guy.' I would have pointed the gun at the perp and ordered him on the ground. If he ran or drove off in my car, then call the police and hope he's caught.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

7. The article reads:

Police found Richard X. Summers,39, wounded in the upper leg and holding down 18-year-old Marlos M. Conrad.

Kajtsa said Conrad, of 3801 W. Wallace Ave., Tampa, followed Summers' fiancé into their housing complex at 10265 Gandy Boulevard while she was driving a GMC Yukon Denali. She exited the SUV, someone tripped the alarm and she yelled for Summers.

Police say Summers, armed with a handgun, confronted Conrad inside the SUV. They struggled and the gun went off.

I will give him the handgun based on the fact that his fiance was yelling for him. Once he knew she was alright the gun should have disappeared from sight.

The perp inside of the vehicle when he confronted him. He should have never gotten that close.

I'm glad he only got shot in the leg. As others have said you never want to get into a fist fight while you are armed. If you do, you may not be armed and your opponent may be.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Property can be replaced but not legs. Glad the bad guy was caught .

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    My instructor taught the class to go armed, but not pointed. Keep your gun in your hand, but behind your back. From about 10 yards scream out, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" If they turn & run, you've done your deed. Call the police. If they rush you, POOOL ZEE TREEGOR OOONTEEL EET GOES "CLEEEEEK". The perp just changed from another break-in artist to an attacker.
    sounds like a good way to gidder done
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

11. My state WA is a castle doctrine state it is also a stand your ground state with no duty to retreat. You have a right to defend your life and your property. I would go out with my sights on the perp. That way he would be looking down the barrel of my 45 and he could then decide if he wanted to make a run for it. I would not shoot him in the back but I would want him to know I had the drop on him and he wasn't going to get away with what he was doing. I would also not approach with in 5 yards. Making the wrestling match unnessesary.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast