Anybody have to deal with overly jumpy cops - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have to deal with overly jumpy cops

What STATE did this happen in ?

In that state, is it REQUIRED that CCW holders inform LEO at stops that they have a CCW and is carrying ?

I say call the police department AND file a complaint.That is rediculous and their is no excuse for it.Either the guy had bad or insufficient training and shouldn't have been on the street,or he was an idiot and should not be a cop.I too have respect for police officers,most of them,anyway.And I agree that it is a job that I don't want.But this kind of treatment is inexcuseable.
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

This took place in Nevada

It was a county cop shop.I don't want to get more specific, as most if not all of the cops are cool. I did talk to a Sergeant. Told him that I wasn't there to raise heck I just wanted to let some one know what was going on. We talked for awhile, nice guy. He was nice enough to get back to me and let me know that the deputy was no longer with, them not fired just moved on. The only part that was good was that it had to be explained why he needed back up to arrive so quickly as it was not a felony stop. As I had done nothing wrong I guess he had some explaining to do. The Sergeant did assure me that they do have complete training fordealing ccw holders and they normally handle this situations differently. If I was to have any more problems to call dispatch and tell them what is happening and for them to start a report then go into the sheriffs office and complete the report. I thank you all for your input.
    Prepare for war and pray for peace. if that doesn't work try for peace though superior firepower. If that still doesn't work nuke'em and make a self lit parking lot.:y:

Next time, if the cop does not ask for your CCW or does not ask if you HAVE A CCW, DON'T OFFER

a lot of cops, my cop relative also, tells me, they do not want any additional complication or worries when they stop someone

some cops also will look at you as a show-off

join any pro-cop forum and ask if you should present your CC permit without being asked in a state that does not require it and you'll see where I'm coming from .

6. Your CCW is linked to your Drivers Permit in Ohio, and you must tell the LEO when you are stopped. It comes back that you have one when it is called in. So if you donít tell you can get in deep Well you know what. Sucks but it is the law.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberRB View Post
    Your CCW is linked to your Drivers Permit in Ohio, and you must tell the LEO when you are stopped. It comes back that you have one when it is called in. So if you don’t tell you can get in deep Well you know what. Sucks but it is the law.
    Actually it is not a law in every state. TN does not require that you inform if you are stopped. They do, however, strongly recommend that you do. As you said, in TN the permit is linked to my drivers license, so I assume the LEO would find out anyway. I would rather be the one that tells him.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

I didn't know that CCW permits could be linked to our driver's licenses. Of course, I had never really thought about it.

I was wondering where I might learn this information for my home state, New Mexico. Also, I do a lot of driving in Texas and am wondering the same thing (Got pulled over in Texas this weekend with three guns in vehicle, did not mention CCW since guns were locked away).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Cob View Post
    I didn't know that CCW permits could be linked to our driver's licenses. Of course, I had never really thought about it.

I was wondering where I might learn this information for my home state, New Mexico. Also, I do a lot of driving in Texas and am wondering the same thing (Got pulled over in Texas this weekend with three guns in vehicle, did not mention CCW since guns were locked away).

If you live in Texas and have a CHL it will show up when they run you drivers licence.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Zebowtie View Post
    I gave him my license, insurance and ccw cards together.When he seen the ccw license his whole demeanor changed. He then asked if the weapon was in the vehicle I told him it was and where it was. Then his hand went to his snap on his weapon. I remained calm not understanding his reaction. I ask him what he wanted to do to help relieve his "stress". He walked backwards to his car with his hand still on his weapon reached into his car and radioed.
    OMG! I've got a legal CWP holder in his own car, and HE HAS PROPER ID! WHAT are we going to do? Call the SWAT team! It's a standoff!

That guy sounds like a nut. If he overreacts during a routine stop, I'd hate to see what he does with an actual dangerous criminal. He probably should have chosen another line of work.

Required or not, I'm going to give my permit to every cop that stops me for any reason. As long as you don't seem suspicious, they shouldn't give it a second thought. Act unassuming and you will typically be treated as such.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

I'd be more afraid if I were the cop and ran the guy's info and it came back that he had a CCW and didn't tell me. It would make me wonder if he's one of those radical nut cases that has multiple firearms on his person in every imaginable location, that would give me a really bit "fight" should he be arrested for something.

The info I have (first hand directly from current LEO in the FIELD) is that the best thing to do if you are carrying, and in a state that requires a CCW, then it's a good idea to provide your CCW along with your photo ID and any other paperwork that the officer requests. Properly trained officers will be respectful and treat you properly. They don't consider a legal, law abiding citizen a threat if he's honest and tells you up front that he's carrying and where the firearms are located.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast