Anybody have to deal with overly jumpy cops
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have to deal with overly jumpy cops

Anybody have to deal with overly jumpy cops

Has this happened to you?
    Awhile ago I was pulled over for speeding maybe 10 miles over at the most on a main road at 2 in the afternoon with my wife. The police officer came to the window. I had already had my hands on the wheel. He asked for my license and insurance nice and politely. I gave him my license, insurance and ccw cards together.When he seen the ccw license his whole demeanor changed. He then asked if the weapon was in the vehicle I told him it was and where it was. Then his hand went to his snap on his weapon. I remained calm not understanding his reaction. I ask him what he wanted to do to help relieve his "stress". He walked backwards to his car with his hand still on his weapon reached into his car and radioed. He stood behind his door for what seemed 30 min. but was closer to 10 min. never taking his hand off his weapon. With this going on I was running though what must be wrong ,or what I did wrong, was it mistaken identity. Believe me I don't even have three speeding tickets in my whole life and they are the worst run in with the police I've ever had. My wife was scared and at the time I had no power to help her. Then after an eternity a second police car with lights and sirens came sliding up across the street. The police officer jumped out behind his door with his weapon partly drawn he stood watching me like I was going to, I don't know turn into a pumpkin. I had no idea why he was so intense. Then the original officer walked up to my window had me sign my ticket gave it to me and let me go. Is that standard operations? I've not been pulled over since and it has me a little nervous. Should I filed a grievance? I had no proof other than my wife. I truly felt like a criminal.
    Sorry so long winded.
    What would you have done?
    Prepare for war and pray for peace. if that doesn't work try for peace though superior firepower. If that still doesn't work nuke'em and make a self lit parking lot.:y:

You did everything you're supposed to do. Be aware that there are some LEO in the world that don't seem to understand that in certain places it's legal for "citizens" aka "civilians" to have a permit to carry a concealed firearm. Some LEO were raised in places where firearms are severely restricted (like here in Hawaii). :icon_sad: If this is the case, the LEO will often be more "jumpy" than a LEO that has been around firearms and understands that there are many "civilians" who legally carry their firearms. These "jumpy" LEO don't realize that a BG isn't going to voluntarily tell you that he/she has a gun and where it's located. You'll have to excuse these types of LEO until they learn that most of the "civilians" who have a CCW, CPL, CFL, etc. are "law abiding citizens" and pose no threat to them.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I'd call the department and talk to someone in charge and ask them what their policy was on traffic stops and people with a CCW. I'd then explain how I was treated. It may be just a case of the Dept needing to educate some of their Officers.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I would have also contacted the department. I don't know that I actually would have filed a grievance, but I would have let his superiors know how he treated me.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

They had nothing else better to do,so they took it out on you!!!

Maybe they were rookies.
    Im Da Biggest Boss That They Seen Thus Far!!!

I make regular trips into Florida and west to Arizona. While I have met some careful officers I can't say that I've run into any nervous, or jumpy, ones. If I'm carrying, I always notify the officer (even if I don't have to). I do this even at road stops where they're checking for seat belt use, or for what ever reason, and ask to see a drivers license. I did have one apparent rookie call a supervisor over and he looked at the identification, told me to have a nice day and I was on my way.

I 'might' understand their policy a little more if the responding car didn't arrive code red! How many people were put into jepardy due to him coming lights and siren?

Even with that, semi reaching for his weapon and taking cover behind a car door does come across a really, really jumpy.
    Conflict is inevitable, combat is a choice!

Aftermath

After this happened I had a talk with my wife and asked her to tell me what happened in her words without my input. I just wanted to see if her recounting was the same as mine. She did see the same things that I had seen. I had her do this to see if I was just tainting things do to my anger. Don't get me wrong I respect police and I don't think I could do it. Walking up to every car stop thinking it might be the last thing you do has got to be tough. I would not have changed anything I did, thinking back I don't think it was anything I did to make it happen any way. It made my wife nervous she has since gotten her ccw license but she questions herself on when to carry more than I think she should. Law abiding citizens should not worry the bad guys should.
    Prepare for war and pray for peace. if that doesn't work try for peace though superior firepower. If that still doesn't work nuke'em and make a self lit parking lot.:y:

I wouldn’t worry about the reaction of the second officer, he was just responding to the “call for backup”. The “jumpiness” was on the part of the first officer and, yes, I would call the department. I would not lodge a complaint but I would call and speak with a supervisor just so that they are aware of their officer’s discomfort with what could be a common occurrence, depending on where it happened.

As the trend for people to get a Concealed Carry Permit, or whatever your state calls it, increases the odds of an officer encountering a legally armed citizen increases and it is important, for them as well as us, that the officers involved understand that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Here in Texas I have been stoped perhaps 6 0r more times while carrying and never had that happen. I think contacting the polkce dept. and let them know what happened would be in order. His job is a stressful job but I feel he over reacted in a big way.
    Last edited by HK4U; 04-23-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast