Mythbusters and bringing a knife to a gun fight....

Thread: Mythbusters and bringing a knife to a gun fight....

ezkl2230 Guest

Mythbusters and bringing a knife to a gun fight....

Gives a pretty good demonstration of the danger of confronting an aggressor with a knife. Also shows why state laws that mandate carrying a firearm without a round chambered (Illinois goes so far as to mandate that the firearm must be carried in a fanny pack with an uninserted magazine, arguing that it only takes six seconds to go from unloaded to loaded and ready to fire - Owners say law lets them tote guns in fanny packs | Concealed Carry) are a virtual guarantee of injury or death. Worth watching.

To set it up, the Mythbusters were game playing a scenario in which Adam has a holstered semi-auto that he must draw, chamber a round, aim, and then fire before Jamie reaches him with a knife. As you will see from the demonstrations, even in the cases in which Adam was able to fire first, Jamie's momentum would have carried him through to inflict injury or death on Adam.

MythBusters: Duel Dilemmas : Videos : Discovery Channel

Saw this last night and laughed! It is a great demonstration of why you should carry condition 1. I was thinking of e-mailing them because Adam was very Slow on the draw due to his need to chamber the 1st round. He also didn't do a few of the defensive tactics that could have made him more effective. It was a good start but I think they could have gotten more true to life results with a little work.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"
    Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    Gives a pretty good demonstration of the danger of confronting an aggressor with a knife. Also shows why state laws that mandate carrying a firearm without a round chambered (Illinois goes so far as to mandate that the firearm must be carried in a fanny pack with an uninserted magazine, arguing that it only takes six seconds to go from unloaded to loaded and ready to fire - Owners say law lets them tote guns in fanny packs | Concealed Carry) are a virtual guarantee of injury or death. Worth watching.

To set it up, the Mythbusters were game playing a scenario in which Adam has a holstered semi-auto that he must draw, chamber a round, aim, and then fire before Jamie reaches him with a knife. As you will see from the demonstrations, even in the cases in which Adam was able to fire first, Jamie's momentum would have carried him through to inflict injury or death on Adam.

MythBusters: Duel Dilemmas : Videos : Discovery Channel
    Excellent video clip...Reminds me of the '21 foot rule'.
    Everyone should take note.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

21 foot rule - YouTube.
    Tueller drill
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    Saw this last night and laughed! It is a great demonstration of why you should carry condition 1. I was thinking of e-mailing them because Adam was very Slow on the draw due to his need to chamber the 1st round. He also didn't do a few of the defensive tactics that could have made him more effective. It was a good start but I think they could have gotten more true to life results with a little work.
    I have not seen the episode just yet, its on the dvr. But if he was slow then it in my opinion that would be pretty close to your average person, someone who does not put the time into practicing on the range drawing

Pretty unrealistic demonstration. The knife actually is not coming off as effective as it can be. For starters, the person with a gun will probably not have it strapped to his side (I'm speaking of civilians) and hence as readily available as depicted. Of course one with half a brain would not stay stationary with someone running at them full tilt. Most real life encounters such as this do not feature an attacker displaying a knife. I can tell you as someone trained in both the knife arts and as an ex police officer, and as depicted in a famous police training video, 21 feet can be closed quite quickly and efficiently and a knife effectively can be deployed which was not evident when the attack started. Stay alert and trust your instincts. Also, when you go to the range, just don't stand there and mindlessly fire off rounds as if you were engaging in target shooting. You need to practice real world scenarios and even then you have no idea how you will react in a life and death situation where you must make quick, accurate decisions and perhaps deploy lethal force without spraying the area with errant shots that can put you away for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    Excellent video clip...Reminds me of the '21 foot rule'.
    Everyone should take note.
    Exactly. The 21 foot rule (7 yards for those of us who played football rather than basketball) shows that a knife can be more effective at close range than a handgun.

Best thing is carry both.

Never go anywhere unarmed. Except maybe church (if you trust Jesus and this congregation) or in the shower.

ezkl2230 Guest
    The problem getting realistic training at a range is that, at least in my area, most of the ranges will not allow anything other than static firing. Double taps, draw/fire drills, moving drills are all pretty much forbidden. I know of one range that used to host USPSA competition; I'll have to see if they allow realistic drills.

Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    21 foot rule - YouTube.
    Tueller drill
    Looks like all of those videos have been removed from YouTube.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws