New Workplace Policy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Workplace Policy

New Workplace Policy

Apparently, they're about to require everyone to sign a consent form to search for drugs, alcohol, & firearms anywhere on company property. Our company is small, and my boss is a very reasonable and gun-friendly kind of guy. Hayeva, this thing stinks of our parent company & their dufus policies....I'm permitted by the state, so I carry at work mainly because one of my employees carries & I don't trust him as far as I can throw him, but also because we have the potential for some "baby momma drama" around here. Plus, I drive through the hood to get here. Banning guns on the premises would mean that I couldn't carry until I got home. Sooooooo, would you:

1) Sign it & continue carrying? (this is what I'm leaning towards)...I doubt I'd get fired at all

2) Talk to my boss about it to see if we could compromise (hopefully to keep allowing me to carry)

3) Or relent & hope that our newly established "Gun Free Zone" (Criminal Safe Zone) stays that way?
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

I feel ya! The company that I work for was bought out by a bank. So the policy went from no illegal weapons to no weapons of any kind EVEN IF THAT PERSON IS LICENSED TO CARRY IT. Like you its not against state law and the high ups here are very gun friendly. So I signed the handbook and continue as before (If you know what I mean).

It is a tough call. Risk being fired or risk being in a bad situation traveling to/from work or at lunch time unarmed.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I think that's the route I'm going to take. What they don't know (about me, anyway) can't hurt them. It's just the higher-ups that I'd be concerned about if they came to visit.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    I think that's the route I'm going to take. What they don't know (about me, anyway) can't hurt them. It's just the higher-ups that I'd be concerned about if they came to visit.
    Exactly. I've been at my current job for almost 3 years and its never been an issue.

A perfect example of why I decided to take my chances with being fired was about a month ago there was a shooting in a plaza we eat lunch at often. That could have been the day we decided to go and would have need to defend myself.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Better to be fired by 1 than carried by 6.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

If you don't sign it, they can't hold you to it.

As was said, what is more important your life or your job? I would never knowingly break the law, but company policy is a little different. I do understand. I have been there too. Fortunately I have a new job. Just be sure you are very familiar with the concept of concealed.
    Last edited by DrDavidM; 06-02-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

+1 and if you refuse to sign just what are the repercussion's, if they threaten with dismissal then I would wounder if the lawyers would like to sue for unjust termination.
    Any lockers or desks are theirs they can search them any time with out your consent, your vehicle on the other hand is a different matter and would require a search warrant to be executed by the police.

Get a little pocket pistol. Don't ask and don't tell.

If you don't sign the new policy/consent form they can absolutely hold you to it, insubordination is perfectly legal grounds for termination. If you park on company property, which I'm assuming most people do, the company does not need a warrant to search your car, especially if the consent form specifies vehicles, which it probably does.

If management is "gun friendly," I say carry away. The purpose of such consent forms is purely for insurance/liability legal garbage anyway. It's not like you'll be tried by a jury and hanged if you're made, they'll probably just pull you into an office for a quiet conversation.

And, quite frankly, no job is worth your life.
    Last edited by WaltherCC; 06-03-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    NRA, GOA, TNFA, TNGCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast