Shooting with open boxes, buckets of ammo - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting with open boxes, buckets of ammo

I believe it

This is what happened to me about 15 years ago. I was at the range with a friend. I was down range shooting with my bedspread spread out to catch the empty brass (45ACP) My yellow plastic box of reloads was sitting on the bedspread. As I fired a string I heard another shot behind me. I stopped and looked back at my friend but he didn't know what was going on. I looked down to see the side of the plastic box missing, where a round was sitting, and a hole in my bedspread. I keep them covered now.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Just looked at the artical and it was Winchester ammo.
    Thanks! That may be the reason that LEE doesn't recommend Win primers with their reloading equipment. I'll have to double check but I think Win was one of those they didn't like.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Actually...

I had that happen to me last month actually........

I was breaking in my wifes KAHR P45 and had a casing go over my shoulder and hit a opened box of 45 ACP on the ground. It was several feet behind me and to my right.

I'm sure that you can imagine my horror: I'm shooting and I hear a round go off behind me and my wife screams because something hit her. Luckily for me the round went straight down into the earth and what hit my wife was just a piece of Styrofoam from the box.

Since then I have been a little more alert and thankful that I still have a live wife.

Be very careful .

The round that went off was a Federal HYDRASHOK
    -Austin

excellent points from everybody. I'll start to keep mine covered while at the range. better to be safe than sorry. saying I'm sorry afterwords just doesn't get it when dealing with guns and ammo.
    "Victory at all cost Victory in spite of all terror. Victory no matter how long and how hard the road may be; for without Victory there is no survival."
    (Winston Churchill)

I'm wondering if something like this could happen at home. Obviously, when I'm at home, I keep my ammo covered up, but I'm just wondering if there is anything here that I need to watch out for. It just seems to me that it would take something a heck of a lot harder than a blow from a spent cartridge case hitting the primer, and it would have to be intentional. Obviously, seeing this lets me know that this is not the case. I don't want to drive myself crazy going around the house finding stuff to protect my ammo from, but this does concern me.

7. I wonder if it is 45 mostly and larger cases? Seems like 22s might happen too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12