Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Concealed Weapons ban

Seattle Concealed Weapons ban

Seattle Mayor's concealed-weapons ban may land city in court

Mayor's concealed-weapons ban may land city in court

'We do have the authority,' Nickels says; critics disagree
    By ANGELA GALLOWAY
    P-I REPORTER

It will start with warning signs and bureaucratic policy reviews.

But will Mayor Greg Nickels' new gun ban lead to metal detectors at Seattle Center, neighborhood libraries and City Hall?

Or pat-downs and bag searches at park entrances, festival gates and holiday events?

Although resorting to such measures would be a "shame," Nickels said, he would not rule them out during a Monday news conference to announce his prohibition of concealed weapons on city property.

"We do hope that our parks and our Seattle Center events remain open and accessible and welcoming to all," Nickels said. "But we will also make sure that they're safe."

Nor is it yet clear whether Nickels' move will land the city in court -- with gun rights activists contending the mayor has violated state law. "I certainly would not be surprised if there is a challenge to our authority on this," Nickels acknowledged. Still, "We believe we do have the authority."

It seems like the Mayor of Seattle is on a power trip and thinks that he has the power to usurp the state constitution.

Exclamation Seattle Is the new San Francisco?

It would make sense that the granola kids (fruits, nuts and flakes) would migrate north in search of a good cuppa joe. I am amazed that this would even be an issue in WA. Watch the mayor lie his way out of this one when it hits the courts. All you Seattlites might want to make sure there is no emergency powers act to take your toys in the event of an earthquake or other natural disaster.:crazy0:
    Last edited by festus; 06-14-2008 at 11:35 AM.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Is he a cousin to Bloomberg and Dailey? The three could make a comedy movie together. Title-The Three Stooges.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Title-The Three Stooges.
    Nah...you'd be insulting the memory of the real Three Stooges. At least they had a sense of humor. These guys are just twits.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Something that I found somewhat amusing is that at the end of the article, there is a soundoff section for people to reply. As I have seen elsewhere, the pro gun types are well spoken, polite and prepared to back up their statements with facts, while the anti's just repeat the same thing over and over again and resort to personal attacks when they see that the sentiment isn't going their way.

7. Fortunately, I don't leave the island I live on often, and even less frequently go to Seattle. When I saw this on the evening news my reaction was of disbelief. No doubt if the law goes through, honest folk will leave their protection home while the thugs, gang bangers and crooks will disregard the law. Why do I feel less safe at the prospect of this law going into effect???
    Ken..

I wish I had my own fortified island...

These wanabee thugs just keep crawling out from under rocks don't they?
    An armed society is a polite society.

Well I sure hope Seattle/Washington gun owners stand up to this guy and fight. Because there was a statement Nickels made that bothered me on top of this law. "This is a small step and I hope not the last step in protecting our public from gun violence," he said. This means he's not done.
    New York State Consolidated Laws, Civil Rights, Article 2-Bill of Rights, Section 4

S 4. Right to keep and bear arms. A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

seems like just the beginning of these "elected" idiots popping up to hang our guns and not focus on the problem which is the criminals... even if they did not have guns, their crimes would not stop. how hard is that to understand?
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast