Not really concealed carry related, but it is firearm related - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not really concealed carry related, but it is firearm related

GF,
    Your right. Unfortunately we all do stupid things sometimes and in my day I have done a few. All we can do is acknowledge our mistakes and try to learn from them while hoping that there are no dire consequences resulting.

Quote Originally Posted by tcotariu View Post
    GF,
    Your right. Unfortunately we all do stupid things sometimes and in my day I have done a few. All we can do is acknowledge our mistakes and try to learn from them while hoping that there are no dire consequences resulting.
    Don't want you to feel like I'm picking on you or anything like that. I've got a good example of an "older" guy who didn't listen to reason. This past weekend I was Chief Instructor for a NRA Basic Pistol class. We had one student that wasn't very happy to be "required" to take the class. He recently retired from the military and wanted to purchase a pistol here in Hawaii. The law requires that you have some evidence of firearms training. A letter from your commander would suffice for military folks, but most military folks find it extremely difficult if not impossible to get this letter from their commanders. In any case, the guy was rambling on and on about how he used firerms since he was 10, etc. He became a problem when he began mocking instructors and making unnecessary comments that weren't necessarily a positive addition to our class. In any case, I had a little personal "one on one" conversation with him. He agreed to conduct himself in a more appropriate manner.

We get to the live fire portion of the class. At this point we've gone over the NRA safe firearms handling ruled at least a dozen times. Anyway, the guy is ready to fire his first shot (.22LR). He's using a semi-auto pistol (Sig Mosquito). Has the "yeah, yeah, yeah" attitude again. Having given the o.k. to "fire", he articulates the safety lever and "bang". The guy literally jumped up and dropped the pistol on the bench. The guy's finger pressed the trigger while he was removing the safety. The instructor watching him was just about to tell him to stop when the shot went off. The guy starts rambling about how he was in the military, blah, blah, blah. There were a few other military folks (like myself) that had the same comment "Dangerous then, and still dangerous." He went to the back of the line and transformed into a "model student" for the rest of the class. :)

Needless to say, I hada a very interesting weekend. ;)

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Hey GF,
    No offence taken. I have been shooting for about 40 years now and as I said I have done some things that I would not do now, nor want to see anybody else do. I guess the point I was trying to make is that on order for us to continue to learn and progress we need to do a couple of things. First, we need to be able to admit it when we have done something that is stupid. Second, we need to “get over ourselves” and recognize that it is not age that determines whether or not we can learn from somebody, but their level of knowledge. I try to follow both of these myself.

I spent some time in the Army and know exactly the kind of person you are referring to. When you “call them on the mat” they do behave better, but they still do not listen until they do something that scares them to the point that they realize that they need your help. I had a couple of guys working for me like that, not the easiest to work with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12