Chicago: Chicago Police Department is engaging in military-type activity - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago: Chicago Police Department is engaging in military-type activity

In the wake of D.C. v. Heller, Mayor Daley referred to the ruling as "very frightening" and said that if Chicago is forced to do away with its handgun ban, he'll have no choice but to raise taxes to hire more police as a result of the increase in violence that will inevitably take place.

Apparently, the mayor believes that more guns in the hands of his city's law abiding citizens is a bad thing. He believes that the ban has made the city safer. He has not considered that the ruling will not change anything for the criminals and gangbangers, all of whom already had handguns before the ruling, and will continue to do so after it. Of course that's not how he sees it, however.

3. Chicago

Are you sure Daley wasn't in Arizona when the state legislature was considering the CCW law? Many police officials were badgering the legislators with claims that if the CCW law was passed with it's provisions on crime prevention by armed citizens, that there woul dbe people cruising around day and night, looking for purse snatchers to blow away. They also presented the argument that the crime level would explode past all ability of the police to handle it. The predicted crime wave never materialized, in fact, the crime level dropped drastically. Possibly the BGs were hesitant to attack anyone, because you never knew who might be packing heat. I understand the Arizona Legislature has considered decriminalizing carrying without a permit, dropping it from a misdemeanor to a petty offense, which means it only rates a monetary finr and no jail time. THey had a case in municipal court onnce, prior to the CCW law being passed, when a city cop arrested a guy in a bar with a concealed weapon. The magistrate asked what led the cop to believe the guy was armed. The officer stated he could see the outline of the gun through the guy's T-shirt. The magistrate then said, "Then it wasn't concealed, was it? Case dismissed." He then told the officer he should have charged him with carrying a gun in a bar, which is still prohibited.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12