Why do some states deny reciprocity?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do some states deny reciprocity?

Why do some states deny reciprocity?

I'm trying to determine why some states will honor CWPs from some states, but not others. For example, it looks like Minnesota and Florida have very similar rules for issuance and renewals. But, for some reason they don't reciprocate. Florida is one of the most widely reciprocating states in the nation, but we've forgotten to include Minnesota for some reason.

Why does it work this way, and how can this be fixed? Is there a lobbying process that can be pursued?

I'm going to Minneapolis for the GOP convention during the first week of September, and I won't be able to carry. Because of that, I'm really considering not bringing any firearm at all, because it's not worth risking the airline losing it if I can't actually carry it.

I think that FL will offer reciprocity to any state that will agree in return. It appears that for some reason MN will not agree. In SC the requirement for reciprocity were equal or more stringent requirements and therefor would not accept FL permits. I have heard several reasons given for SC not agreeing but don't know the real reason. All of the differences were very minor.

Sometimes is is a big difference and sometimes a very small difference. Contact your local representative to get the ball rolling.

Basically, there are 48 CCW states and 48 different sets of laws, many of which defy logic and are just arbitrary and capricious. PA used to honor FL but not UT (go figure that one!).

U forgot the word "Continuous"

Obama says that there are 57 states. Why are you concerned only with 48?

You may need to raise that number, I think he is including most of western Europe now.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Obama says that there are 57 states. Why are you concerned only with 48?
    Because the 48 to which we're referring all have CCW laws on the books.

9. I have a suspicion that some states might refuse because of requirements from other states. For example here in Indiana we don't have to take any classes or shoot at a range to qualify. They might assume that makes us all unsafe uneducated gun owners

SC will not honor GA permits because they are not picture ID's. SC will also not honor AL permits due to a lack of a consistant state wide standard for issuance. There was an effort to move the state's law toward outright recognition, but that bill tried to accomplish too much on too many gun related issues. Had eight or so mini-bills been proposed, a few of them would have gotten passed already.

It's a problem in NYS. They won't honor any other state. I never understood how a man's good character changes just because he crossed a state line. National carry should be law.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast