Key question overlooked in debate over Bloomberg 'Average Joe gun owner' ad

Thread: Key question overlooked in debate over Bloomberg 'Average Joe gun owner' ad

When it comes to being a representative gun owner, just how average is 'Average Joe'?
    Credits:
    Mayors Against Illegal Guns has begun airing television ads as part of a pledged $12 million campaign to convince viewers to back national measures to end private firearms sales. The spots "feature a gun owner who understands that supporting background checks goes hand in hand with defending the Second Amendment,"the group claims on its "Demand Action to End Gun Violence" website.

"I believe in the Second Amendment and I'll fight to protect it," the erstwhile MAIG "gun owner" declares, before showing everyone his big "but" that paves the way for all kinds of infringements.
    It's a slick ad -- first-class production values, prepared by people skilled in all aspects of production, from the carefully-scripted message down to the last detail, to include blurred kids on a tire swing -- the best in the illusion and manipulation business put their all into this and, except for a debated controversy over safe gun handling, it shows. The guy looks and sounds like a stereotypical rural hunter. He's sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck, with a barn and presumed kinfolk in the background.
    You know, the kind of country Bloomberg flies over all the time, and the kind of people he wants to catch up in his one-size-fits-all monopoly of violence demands...
    To enhance target audience identification and acceptance, he's holding one of those "Fudd" guns Joe Biden advises should be fired from balconies and through doors (sorry, the Veep specified "double-barreled" -- the MAIG rep is holding one of those pump-action "man-hunters"), prompting an almost immediate reaction on gun blogs about perceived safety violations. While debate centers around whether or not his booger hook was on the bang switch or if it's just a trick of the shadows, another question, suggested by wondering what the guy's gun creds are, is being completely overlooked:
    Who is he?
    Is he an accomplished hunter, and if so, can he produce licenses to prove it? Is his folksy accent real or staged? Is he an actor? Is he an activist?
    Is he primarily an apparatchik with an agenda, as opposed to a representative "reasonable, commonsense sportsman"? Being able to demonstrate or disprove that could be enlightening, and the fact that no one in "legitimate media" sees a story in profiling a new central figure in such a high-profile national advertising campaign is telling.
    To put things in perspective, in a matter of seconds we can find out that "Flo" from the insurance commercials is an improv actress and comedienne with a degree in criminology, or that "the most interesting man in the world" adopted his accent as a tribute to his "sailing buddy," the late actor Fernando Lamas.
    Yet doing a similar search for MAIG's new country star yields pretty much nothing at this writing to help us learn more about him, and in a celebrity-obsessed culture (just look at some of the features being spotlighted around the column on this page), that's, to put it mildly, curious. The most detail I could find simply refers to him as "the actor playing the role of the Average Joe."
    It might not be that remarkable, except "legitimate media" showed the same avoidance to fleshing out "proud defender of the Second Amendment" Jerry Thompson. If you want to find out anything about him,the top hit on a Google search leads back to the Gun Rights Examiner column wanting to know who he is and what his dog in the fight was -- and after a month-and-a-half, he remains an enigma.
    My spider sense, something I've learned to heed, says the withholding of information by the advocacy groups and the indifference on the part of "Authorized Journalists" is deliberate, and that to reveal more on the backgrounds of these spokesmen is not in the interests of the antis.
    Which means it's in our interest.
    In a tangentially-related development, it would appear yet another of Bloomberg's coalition of criminal control freaks has been busted for being criminally out of control. Considering a long-established pattern along with developments occurring just this month, the parable about motes and beams might be appropriate to bring up.

Key question overlooked in debate over Bloomberg 'Average Joe gun owner' ad - National gun rights | Examiner.com

~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

That guys facial hair and side burns look fake. Definately a glue job.

It's interesting that the democrats, most of which are anti 2A, would be hypocritical enough to take advantage of the very children they, as a party, are so eager to abort. As for the actor, what are they afraid of. Could it be that more hypocrisy is a hand. Could be this actor is hiding out with the Benghazi survivors. The media can't seem to find them either.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

It's like Obama before the election, "I don't want your guns"

After the election, "I don't want ALL your guns"

He says he supports the 2A. We KNOW he doesn't! The commercial is BS!

It's just baby steps to where he disarms us all.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Blog Entries
    sorta like obama wearing dark shades while shooting skeet. and the photographer catching the smoke from the ports at exactly the right instant in time.
    i happen to be an amature photographer. this had to be a very rehearsed and repeated shot to capture that smoke.
    or it was done with high speed video, then a still picture extracted from the video. or PHOTO SHOPPED.
    i'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bellyfat View Post
    sorta like obama wearing dark shades while shooting skeet. and the photographer catching the smoke from the ports at exactly the right instant in time.
    i happen to be an amature photographer. this had to be a very rehearsed and repeated [Photo Shop] to [Photo Shop] that smoke.
    or it was done with high speed [Photo Shop], then a still picture [Photo Shopped] from the video. or [jus' plain ol'] PHOTO SHOPPED.
    There, fixed.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    There, fixed.
    Now tell us how you really feel about it being Photoshopped.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Orwellian much?
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson