Kids or something worse?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids or something worse?

Kids or something worse?

So last night around 9pm my wife was home alone and someone started banging on the front door. She didn't answer and ran upstairs (To hide?). I guess there wasn't any noise for a while and then there was banging on the front door again. She was in the rear bedroom and she said she saw flashlights in the back yard so she called 911. Cops didn't find anything and that was that. She called me at work and I came home...didn't find anything weird. We live in a neighborhood with houses very close together and tons of kids...not sure if it was one of them.

Of course my wife doesn't "Believe" in guns and hates the fast they are in the house. Funny she wasn't complaining when I came home though. I am still annoyed with her for running upstairs...there are like 100 better things you could do in that situation other than run upstairs.
    "La plus belles ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas."

frank.macher Guest
    At least she called for the LEO's

Quote Originally Posted by frank.macher View Post
    At least she called for the LEO's
    +1 on that! Do you know how many people I know that would have called their husband/boyfriend first before the cops? Alot! Maybe this would open her eyes to the importance of owning a firearm. If that bang was not just a knock and someone ACTUALLY forcing their way inside to do harm, she would be defenseless. I am glad everything turned out to be alright though, hopefully it was just kids.

Itís sad but it sometimes takes an event like this or even worse to make an anti think differently about guns.

I don't know if anyone ever saw the movie tremors 2, but Bert in the movie has a good line which I think can be used with antis. "When you need it, and don't have it... You sing a different tune". That was in response to Earl saying "you put a whole new meaning to the word overkill". I think it fits in my opinion.

The problem with calling the police and waiting for them to rescue you is they do not always arrive in time. Some years ago in Dallas a woman called 911 because someone was trying to break into her home. The police arrived alright. 45 min. later. They found the woman dead. I am glad that my wife has her on gun, knows how to use it and is willing to do so.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Maybe its time to start talking safe room with her.She is going to come around.Sounds like there are no kids in your house.Mother hens are a *****. Will do anything to protect kids.

Fortunately, you still have a wife to come to. Do you think you can now convince her to go to the range? And, even if you can't convince her to get a CCW, to at least keep a gun in the house at all times in case someone decides to take it a step further and break in before police arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Fortunately, you still have a wife to come to. Do you think you can now convince her to go to the range? And, even if you can't convince her to get a CCW, to at least keep a gun in the house at all times in case someone decides to take it a step further and break in before police arrive?
    Keep in mind that without proper training and the mindset to actually use the gun, she may be at a higher risk by having a gun and not knowing how to properly use it, or having the mindset to squeeze the trigger. I do a training exercise with some of my "high and mighty" students. We use airsoft guns, and when a threat presents its self, many are unable to squeeze the trigger. They freeze up and say stuff like "I don't want to shoot you", or "Don't make me pull the trigger" and "If you come any closer, I'll shoot". At this point, my hand or the BG's hand is already on the gun and they are in the process of being disarmed.

Not saying that having a gun in the house is a bad thing, simply stating that along with the gun comes the responsibility to learn how to properly employ it when the need arises. Imagine if folks were given the keys to a car without proper driver training. That could turn out pretty ugly.

Just my 2 cents.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Keep in mind that without proper training and the mindset to actually use the gun, she may be at a higher risk by having a gun and not knowing how to properly use it, or having the mindset to squeeze the trigger. I do a training exercise with some of my "high and mighty" students. We use airsoft guns, and when a threat presents its self, many are unable to squeeze the trigger. They freeze up and say stuff like "I don't want to shoot you", or "Don't make me pull the trigger" and "If you come any closer, I'll shoot". At this point, my hand or the BG's hand is already on the gun and they are in the process of being disarmed.

Not saying that having a gun in the house is a bad thing, simply stating that along with the gun comes the responsibility to learn how to properly employ it when the need arises. Imagine if folks were given the keys to a car without proper driver training. That could turn out pretty ugly.

Just my 2 cents.

gf
    Point well taken, however I thought I was already hinting at that with my suggestion that he take his wife to the range. But you are right; you won't learn how and when to properly deploy a weapon by going to the range. Only a firearms instructor can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    I don't know if anyone ever saw the movie tremors 2, but Bert in the movie has a good line which I think can be used with antis. "When you need it, and don't have it... You sing a different tune". That was in response to Earl saying "you put a whole new meaning to the word overkill". I think it fits in my opinion.
    Aw, c'mon. Most people who encounter trouble have plenty of time to say, "Hold it right there!" while they dial 911, then make a trip down to the gun store, purchase a firearm, wait three days (the perps camp out in the meantime), finally go pick up their gun, get some ammo, take it to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it, take it home and clean it, then come back to where they started to face down the bad guys. By that time, the cops will only be a few minutes away.

I sleep near a firearm and a fire extinguisher, and both for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Point well taken, however I thought I was already hinting at that with my suggestion that he take his wife to the range. But you are right; you won't learn how and when to properly deploy a weapon by going to the range. Only a firearms instructor can do that.
    Getting her to accept the fact that firearms are in the home is a step in the right direction, a trip to the range would be an even bigger step, eventually I'm sure she'll come around and learn how to properly use the firearms, maybe take an advanced course or two, and realize that firearms allow us to improve our odds in the event that some misguided BG chooses to cross our path.

I didn't intend to slam you or anything, simply pointing out that having a firearm in the home is one thing, properly using it is another story.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast