No punishment for officer in Florida open carry arrest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No punishment for officer in Florida open carry arrest

Posted on February 28, 2013 by John Pierce
    Deputy Andy Cox of the Citrus County Sheriff’s Department in Florida is untouchable.
    That’s the news from the department today after they wrapped up an internal affairs investigation of the 2009 arrest of a permit holder for open carry after his firearm became inadvertently exposed during a traffic stop.
    During the arrest, the officer repeatedly curses the man and threatens to kill him.
    Citrus County Sheriff Jeffrey Dawsy says the investigation concluded that Deputy Cox was guilty of conduct unbecoming an officer but he cannot be disciplined because the investigation did not commence within the time frame allowed by law.
    The Sheriff himself appears culpable in allowing this to happen since the department admits that the man arrested requested such an investigation immediately following the incident.
    However, as is often the case with police misconduct, nothing happened until a video of the arrest surfaced and went viral on the internet.

The sheriff is promising that Cox and all members of the department will be retrained on how to deal with such situations more professionally in the future.
    One has to wonder if that means not threatening to kill law-abiding citizens or not getting caught when doing so.
    In the meantime, the victim is filing a civil rights lawsuit against the department. We wish him good luck!
    OpenCarry.org | ?A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost?

Posted in Abuse of Power, Florida, Open Carry, Police Misconduct | Leave a comment
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

typical cop corruption, there is a video floating around showing how police departments around the country regularly give anyone who wants to complain about police misconduct a royal run around.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    typical cop corruption, there is a video floating around showing how police departments around the country regularly give anyone who wants to complain about police misconduct a royal run around.
    It's just the "Good Ol' Boy System" working.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

That's why they call it Flor-i-DA.

The Sheriff is an elected office holder. The voters need to show what they think about this thin blue line at the next election.

7. Why who would ever have thought of that out come? Did anyone really thing that the Police Dept. or the D.A. would push any charge against this stupid red necked cop. I have to laugh when I read about this so called " internal affairs investigation" There is no such thing all that happens is the Chief of Police of any city makes a decision, he calls in a few of his trusted Majors and tells them to sign his decision. Thats it. Myself I know first hand how it works in little crime infested safe Tulsa Oklahoma. Yeah tell me about these internal affairs investigation. I call them what they really are COP correct decisions.

From first hand experience, I can call BS on this. This conduct is atypical and most departments take complaints very seriously. The thousands of police officers across the country get complaints every day, and only the legitimate complaints on misconduct like this that go unpunished are the ones that get on the news, or websites and blogs with an agenda. It's pretty hard to call the minority of occurrences "typical".

From watching this video, I would agree that this police officer needs to find a new job. It is a shame the department lets a reckless guy like this stay on the force. The CCW holder was cooperative and never did anything wrong. I would call it a violation of the 4th amendment, which needs to be taken to court.

ezkl2230 Guest
    This is why Grand Rapids, MI, sends such cases to our civilian appeals board - to insure that the good old boys system doesn't let someone off the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    From first hand experience, I can call BS on this. This conduct is atypical and most departments take complaints very seriously. The thousands of police officers across the country get complaints every day, and only the legitimate complaints on misconduct like this that go unpunished are the ones that get on the news, or websites and blogs with an agenda. It's pretty hard to call the minority of occurrences "typical".

From watching this video, I would agree that this police officer needs to find a new job. It is a shame the department lets a reckless guy like this stay on the force. The CCW holder was cooperative and never did anything wrong. I would call it a violation of the 4th amendment, which needs to be taken to court.
    your first hand experience is surely more credible than the video I offered. I suppose that kid who went to dozens of police departments and tried to lodge complaints and received the run around was either faked or staged.

your first hand experience is surely more credible than the video I offered. I suppose that kid who went to dozens of police departments and tried to lodge complaints and received the run around was either faked or staged.
    The video "you" offered is one occurrence. Not all departments will let behavior like this fly. Your generalization is just as illegitimate as me coming to the conclusion that all gun owners are unintelligent because of one presumed gun owner on a forum named apvbguy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast