How many rounds do you fire before carrying a new handgun?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: How many rounds do you fire before carrying a new handgun?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2

    How many rounds do you fire before carrying a new handgun?

    Usually, I fire about 200-300 rounds to test it's reliability, ammo preferences, feel and to gain a good level of proficiency with a new gun. Once I know it intimately, I carry it. So...400? I just bought a new one, so it got me thinking...how much testing do you put yours through?

    My latest, 500 and some change. Not a hiccup, achieve an average of a 2.5" group from 20 or so yards. Putting it in the holster when I go out in an hour. I think I shot more because it's been a while since I got some practice. Feels good! Made some HP out of Serbian surplus, too!

  2.   
  3. #2
    JSDinTexas Guest
    With my Glocks, I shoot 1 or 2 rounds just to make sure it fires. After that, I check for wear around 10,000 or so.

  4. #3
    300 is my standard. However, all weapons are different and some just perform better after 500 rounds. I get to 500 rounds pretty quick because I bring family and friends to the range and have them shoot my guns as well. My SR1911 had Failure to eject issues a few times during the first 50 rounds, after that not a failure of any kind. Tight springs are the reason for many failure issues. Also, a highly polished feed ramp helps to eliminate some issues.
    Remember, these are just my personal observations.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    294
    I put a couple hundred through my 10mm before setting the 40 aside. I make sure if I switch up carry ammo that I fire a 50 round box to see if it eats them up ok.

    I did see if I could make my glock fail by "limp wristing" it and sure enough, it can be done but it's scary doing it... My normal grip works well though.
    Glock 29sf / XD-40 SubCompact
    Useful links ---> Ammo/Mag finder & Firearm Manuals & Auto Repair Material & Android Pro/Anti Carry & Android CCW

  6. #5
    JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ramsey View Post
    I put a couple hundred through my 10mm before setting the 40 aside. I make sure if I switch up carry ammo that I fire a 50 round box to see if it eats them up ok.

    I did see if I could make my glock fail by "limp wristing" it and sure enough, it can be done but it's scary doing it... My normal grip works well though.
    On a serious note, I have run into limp wristing as well. It happened to me with a G27 that I couldn't get a proper grip on without the extension.
    I considered a G29 for carry, and had a couple of them, but found my target reacquisition to be slower and the pattern of triple shots was 6-8" at 25 ft. So I carry a G30 and get triples in 3" at 25 ft. (Over the years, I have conditioned myself to always launched 2 or 3, never just one.)
    I do have a G20 OD model with a picatinny rail and red dot for hunts, and do pretty well with that.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    9
    Blog Entries
    3

    How many rounds do you fire before carrying a new handgun?

    On all my pistols I take them down and dry them out so there is no lube in it. it is all baire metal then I run it hard on the range i run drills work on draws anything I can do for at least 300 minimal rounds then I go home and with my drimal I buff out every friction mark and run it with and only FrogLube. I shoot 3 gun and iron man and have been doing this for years never a issue.

  8. #7
    With a new model/style I would not feel good with anything less than 100, with a 1911 I would test for ammo function and mags then if I group well I would carry. Glocks are funny, for me, and I would want to feel it if it were anything other than a Model 22 Gen 4.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    On a serious note, I have run into limp wristing as well. It happened to me with a G27 that I couldn't get a proper grip on without the extension.
    I considered a G29 for carry, and had a couple of them, but found my target reacquisition to be slower and the pattern of triple shots was 6-8" at 25 ft. So I carry a G30 and get triples in 3" at 25 ft. (Over the years, I have conditioned myself to always launched 2 or 3, never just one.)
    I do have a G20 OD model with a picatinny rail and red dot for hunts, and do pretty well with that.
    I understand that feeling. I've been using a 20 mag with grip extension but couple weeks ago got a +2 for the 10 mags which gives very good grip. I like the +2 better than the 20 with extension because the extension gives you a tiny gap which will pinch the stuffing out of your little finger.

    I have noticed that the second shot if done super fast is about 3" higher than the first at the 10 yard range so if I get my groups tight, it does take longer to get 3 shots down range. I've been looking at the extended ported 10mm barrels and maybe even a stiffer spring to get less muzzle flip.

    Glock 29sf / XD-40 SubCompact
    Useful links ---> Ammo/Mag finder & Firearm Manuals & Auto Repair Material & Android Pro/Anti Carry & Android CCW

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    With my Glocks, I shoot 1 or 2 rounds just to make sure it fires. After that, I check for wear around 10,000 or so.
    Brave man or is this tongue in cheek.
    Certified NRA Instructor in Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, Personal Defense in The Home, Personal Defense Outside the Home and Refuse to Be a Victim.
    Oklahoma Handgun License Instructor; NRA Benefactor Life Member; NRA EVC, District 2, OK

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    Brave man or is this tongue in cheek.
    I just like the hell out of this post!
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast