Recoil question
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Recoil question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2

    Recoil question

    This one is going to be a pretty short question...why does my 1911 have less/more manageable recoil than my Sigma? The Sigma is chambered in .40 and the 1911 is obviously .45 acp. Why does it have more recoil than my Colt Defender which is also in .40? Is it the metal frames vs the polymer frame on the Sigma?

  2.   
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    This one is going to be a pretty short question...why does my 1911 have less/more manageable recoil than my Sigma? The Sigma is chambered in .40 and the 1911 is obviously .45 acp. Why does it have more recoil than my Colt Defender which is also in .40? Is it the metal frames vs the polymer frame on the Sigma?
    The weight of the 1911 has a little to do with it, but, the real deal here is Muzzle Flip VS. Push. Your 1911 will have a nice push straight back into your hand/arm with very little flip. Your Sigma, My SR9c, LC9, these type pistols have more Muzzle Flip than they have push. Obviously push is more manageable and less perceived than is Flip. Muzzle Flip tries to rip the gun from your hand, Push seats it nicely and allows for a beautiful follow up shot.
    This is one of the largest reasons I converted to my SR1911 as my EDC. I just shoot it better than I shoot anything else.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

  4. #3
    What's the barrel lengths on them? Typically shorter barrels will have more felt recoil. A better quality recoil spring could make a worlds difference too.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    This one is going to be a pretty short question...why does my 1911 have less/more manageable recoil than my Sigma? The Sigma is chambered in .40 and the 1911 is obviously .45 acp. Why does it have more recoil than my Colt Defender which is also in .40? Is it the metal frames vs the polymer frame on the Sigma?
    The weight of the 1911 has a little to do with it, but, the real deal here is Muzzle Flip VS. Push. Your 1911 will have a nice push straight back into your hand/arm with very little flip. Your Sigma, My SR9c, LC9, these type pistols have more Muzzle Flip than they have push. Obviously push is more manageable and less perceived than is Flip. Muzzle Flip tries to rip the gun from your hand, Push seats it nicely and allows for a beautiful follow up shot.
    This is one of the largest reasons I converted to my SR1911 as my EDC. I just shoot it better than I shoot anything else.
    That's precisely my point...and that flip action occurs with smaller compact/subcompact guns. Hence why my edc is either full size or midsize .45. The subcompacts just aren't great to shoot. IMO of course.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    57
    I have a S&W M&P full size and a S&W Shield also in 40. My wife had never fired a handgun before shoots both very acurately

    at least at targets. She never complained about shooting either one. Usually wants to go to the range when I go.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    Looks like your question has been answered but you can change springs, and look into recoil reductions available to the weapon you shoot. Love the 45, recoil reduction and springs make it a joy to shoot/carry.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    The defender has a 3 inch barrel, the 1911 is 5 inch and my sigma has a 4 inch. The comment about the flip would seem to suggest the defender should have more flip, but that's a metal frame gun with a metal guide rod. (The sigma has a plastic guide rod.).

    Also, the sigma seems to be a Glock 23 clone. From what I've seen in catalogs and from what I've been able to google, I should be able to use a tungsten guide rod for the g23. Can anyone substantiate this? The sigma is a great gun, just a tiny bit slow on reacquiring the target IMO.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arnoldsville, Ga
    Posts
    463
    The short answer is that the 40 has a sharper recoil than the 45, and the heaver the pistol the less perceived recoil.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    The short answer is that the 40 has a sharper recoil than the 45, and the heaver the pistol the less perceived recoil.
    this and the fact that the sigma is just not that well made of a weapon, it will get the job done but it isn't really a shooter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast