teach me about scopes

Thread: teach me about scopes

1. teach me about scopes

I just got a Remington 700 in 30-06. I plan in shooting at a range of 100-200 yards mostly. I'm not a hunter just like to target shoot. I want a decent scope but I have never bought one. I see all these different values ##x# etc. can you explain what these values mean and what a decent set of parameters would be for what I'm looking for.

One number is the size of the lens and the other two numbers are the range of magnification. For example a 4-12x40mm: Magnification ranges from 4x to 12x and the lens size is 40mm.

4. For target shooting I would recommend a scope with a mil-dot reticle. It helps when you need to hold left or right for wind. The National Shooting Sports Foundation has some great videos. One for adjusting for wind is here:

teach me about scopes

Like mello said the first number is the magnification power. It can either be a fixed power scope or a variable power scope (i.e. 4x or 4-12x, etc.) The second number is the size of the objective lens (the one in the front.) I larger lens will give you a larger field of view and a brighter picture because it collects more light. I'll leave you with a warning... DO NOT BUY A CHEAP SCOPE. Putting money into a nice rifle is completely useless if you put some Chinese garbage glass on top. A rule of thumb is that your scope should cost as much as the rifle. Especially if it's going on top of a 30-06. Most if not all "bargain brand" scopes will not be able to handle the recoil and will not hold a zero after the first few range trips. I've had some crap out after a few rounds. Some good brands include Leoupold, Zeiss, Nightforce, and IOR. I've even had limited success with Sightron and BSA on lower power rifles. Keep away from brands like Barska and anything else made in Asia. Good luck.

6. Might want to look at Votex scopes. I have a Vortex, Night Force and Leupold, and others. The Vortex is very close in quality for a LOT less money. If you are looking at only shooting 200-300 yards during the day, not sure you need to pay more. The other scopes really shine either at long distances or in low light; neither seem be requirements for you.

I have Nikon on both of my Savages, for the $200+ price tag they are excellent scopes.

8. teach me about scopes

Thanks guys. I picked up some accessories for the 700. Scope will be the project for this weekend.

If you want a good but long detailed info about scopes look up tiborasaurus rex on youtube. Good series ge dedicated to scopes.
    To teach tolerance, you must first be Intolerant.

One thing not mentioned that's more important than the little name on the scope is the quality of the scope rings and base. Since it's a Remington 700 you'll most likely need a base unless you go with the Leupold-type rings. If you're only shooting within 100-200 yards, you won't need a 5/10/20MOA base, just a simple one will do (such as this EGW). As for rings, that depends on whether you get a scope with a 1-inch tube or a 30MM tube, but make sure they're a good quality steel ring (I personally use Burris on mine). You'll also need to make sure they're high enough to clear the bell of the scope, but low enough so it's comfortable and lets you get a good cheek-weld.

As for the scope itself, if you're only shooting 100-200 yards, you could technically get by with the $70 CenterPoint 4-16x40 from Wal-Mart, and it will most likely hold a zero as long as you have decent rings, but again if you plan on getting a 30MM scope, buying rings for it (it's a 1-inch tube) would be silly. I've been using one for a while as I had to sell my other scope, and it's not bad for what it is. Just don't expect a US Optics, NightForce, Leupold, or any of the other big-name (and big-dollar) scopes and you'll be fine. If you do want to spend a little money while not breaking the bank, Konus, Millet and SWFA make some nice scopes for the $300 range (and they're all 30MM tubes):

SWFA 10x42 Fixed
    Millet TRS-1 4-16x50
    Konus M30 4.5-16x40