Woman's Carry Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman's Carry Gun

Woman's Carry Gun

My sister is afraid of a lot of recoil but wants a handgun for defending herself.

Now my question is how much recoil does a .22 magnum snubby with 2 inch barrel have? Is it easy to control? I have heard the .22 mag can be a nasty round to be shot with and it has little recoil, is that right? I also thought of a .32 acp pistol. But I would have to believe the .22 mag is less recoil.

Who can tell me here?

Can of worms post buddy... IMHO, 3 well placed shots with a .22 would be better than a few misses with a .50 cal. That said, versus an adrenaline charged attacker I wouldn't want a .22 to be the only thing between my wife and a bad situation. Your sister might be afraid of spiders too, but if you gotta go to the basement you just suck it up. Get over the fear, but don't go with a caliber she can't physically control.

I have a NAA Mini-mag revolver that fires .22 mag rounds; I have found it easy to control and fun to shoot.

Just my two cents.....

I don't care if its a .22 short, long or magnum. I don't want to be on the receiving end of it!
    Shot placement is more critical than caliber in my humble opinion.
    Pick the gun and caliber that "you" can shoot best and practice often!
    A .22 in the right spot will get you just as dead as another caliber.

A S & W model 642 .38 Airweight has light recoil with regular loads and packs a pretty good punch.

I will look around but can someone answer my question? Compare the .22 mag and .32 acp as far as recoil. So I have a starting point. She seems to be wanting one of these because friends told her they are the best for someone who does not like recoil. Even if they are not the best defensive calibers it still beats no gun which is what she has now.

What is the gun make and model? That's the first question. That little .22 mag with a 2" barrel is trouble. Pretty good bang, little accuracy. Do you want something she can use when the attacker is on top of her? That new little Ruger LC380 has almost no recoil.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDMO1nUxhQ Great video for Girl shooting a Ruger LC380.
    *Not just any girl really but you'll get the drift.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

[QUOTE=Kramer1113;426061]That new little Ruger LC380 has almost no recoil.=QUOTE]

I have an LC9 (9mm), Exactly like the .380 in the video. It is a great gun, but a girl might have issue with the double action only trigger pull. It's about 8-10lbs, and that's every shot. It takes some practice even if you don't mind the pull, and since it was my first "baby" gun, I shoot it a lot to keep in practice. In clarification of my earlier post, I would not like to get shot with a .22 either. I just think that if she might only get off one or two shots, I would want them to be the biggest rounds she could put on target. I would take her to a store/range that will let you test drive different models to find what she's comfortable with.

Lol at the comments that go straight to caliber debates when the op asks for opinions on recoil....

My suggestions:
    FN 5.7 (hot round, low recoil from pretty much every reviewer off this handgun)

Walther PK380 (larger handgun, smaller caliber, less recoil)

KelTec PMR 30 (larger frame, tremendous capacity, .22WMR)

I believe with enough practice any caliber is manageable, but those would be very good low recoil defense handguns.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

11. Carry her to the range and find out what she can actually tolerate. Go slow, take your time and work up from a .22. No rushing, no pressuring but you both need to know what she can and can't tolerate. Recoil management is a learned skill. Some folks take longer than others. Some folks have a certain level they can tolerate and nothing more. Heck, I'm over 6 feet tall, over 200 pounds and I started shooting handguns at age 9. I still had to 'grow into' shooting more than a 125gr in a .357 much less a factory spec 250gr .45Colt or a .44 Mag. Once you've done that, then you can start figuring out what gun she can shoot the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast