NRA help in Connecticut?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA help in Connecticut?

Question NRA help in Connecticut?

Has anyone heard if the NRA is going to step in and help us here in CT??I have not seen or heard of any help coming our way? I feel as a member we have been left hanging in the wind!

3. Quote Originally Posted by lessthan0 View Post
    Has anyone heard if the NRA is going to step in and help us here in CT??I have not seen or heard of any help coming our way? I feel as a member we have been left hanging in the wind!

Violate one of the new laws and get arrested and they'd probably be glad to help out. I think they need a case to take to the Supreme Court first.

It seems in NY they jumped in with out that happening ?

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Violate one of the new laws and get arrested and they'd probably be glad to help out. I think they need a case to take to the Supreme Court first.
    Cases don't just get "taken" to SCOTUS. They get tried and the party that feels its civil rights were infringed appeals up through a line of appeals courts before it would get anywhere near SCOTUS. Assuming the top-level appeal left the perceived infringements of civil rights upheld, only then would the aggrieved party appeal to SCOTUS, but four Justices there would decide whether or not the appeal had prima facie merit sufficient to accept it and hear it. Four Justices could choose to leave it alone and allow the lower courts' ruling(s) to stand.

Other than that, the N R A is supposed to be a lobbying organization. Their main stated mission has nothing to do with "taking" individual cases to any court, Supreme or otherwise. Their mission is to influence law-makers, and as such, influencing CT and/or NY and/or CO and/or MD law-makers should be right in their wheelhouse if they had the kind of power that people on both sides of the gun rights issue are convinced they have.

Personally, I believe they have next to no power at all, other than to make the same kinds of public statements that millions of citizens send to politicians' email inboxes, addresses and telephone numbers in private. We see how much good that tack does. Virtually zero, or, at best, they result in "compromises" that still make gun-owners the only losers and gun-grabbers the only winners.

Quote Originally Posted by lessthan0 View Post
    It seems in NY they jumped in with out that happening ?
    Can you name anything that the N R A has actually done (other than make public statements) in NY? Just curious.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Can you name anything that the N R A has actually done (other than make public statements) in NY? Just curious.

Blues[/QUOTE]

The Washington Times

Thursday, March 21, 2013

The National Rifle Association said Thursday that the group has joined the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association in a lawsuit challenging the state’s new law banning so-called assault weapons and limiting ammunition magazines to a maximum capacity of seven rounds.

“Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature usurped the legislative and democratic process in passing these extreme anti-gun measures with no committee hearings and no public input,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA's Institute for Legislative Action. “This obvious disrespect for New Yorkers and their Second Amendment rights will not be tolerated.”

Read more: NRA joins lawsuit against New York gun law - Washington Times

And we do have a group here in the state doing just that........
    I hope the NRA will join in!?

Group to file lawsuit against the state over new gun laws

Updated: Friday, 05 Apr 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
    Published : Friday, 05 Apr 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
    Tina Detelj

NEW LONDON, Conn. (WTNH) -- One group in Connecticut is now planning to take the state to court over the new gun law. The President of the Connecticut Citizens Defense League or CCDL spoke to News 8's Tina Detelj.

The fight over gun reform here in the state is far from over. Some legislators are saying the new law is just the beginning and a grass roots group is now planning to sue.

Scott Wilson of New London is the president and one of the founding members of the Connecticut Citizens Defense League.

I am a life member and I can say that they are toothless tigers once a law is in place. for example they have never challenged any of the draconian anti gun laws in places like NYC, NJ, DC or chicago. the people in CT will have to band together to fight the government over reach on the new laws.

Not sure why I would continue to give them another dime of my hard earned money!!??

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Cases don't just get "taken" to SCOTUS. Can you name anything that the N R A has actually done (other than make public statements) in NY? Just curious.
    Blues, I'm not sure but I believe they are bankrolling the lawsuits from the NYSRPA. NYSRPA is the NRA state affiliate.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post

Blues
    Can you name anything that Bluestringer has actually done (other than rant on internet forums) for the 2A? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Can you name anything that Bluestringer has actually done (other than rant on internet forums) for the 2A? Just curious.
    Yeah, Blues opened my eyes (after countless arguments) to what's happening in this country. My thinking is forever changed by him.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast