Survey of 15,000 Law Enforcement Professionals about U.S. Gun Control Policies - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survey of 15,000 Law Enforcement Professionals about U.S. Gun Control Policies

Like the old adage Blues that a few bad apples spoil the barrel, the same is true with cops.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Most cops are pro-gun like us. It's the anti-gun cops that get all over the news. Take for example Obama visiting the Denver Police Academy this last week. Obama and his giant liberal machine and media had the few cops that love him in the picture behind him, all over the news. The pro-gun Colorado Sheriffs held their own gathering in response to Obama's visit but they did not make the headlines like Obama did.
    They actually talked to some of the officers on TV who were behind the "Liar in Chief" in Denver......They were ordered to show up or face the consequences!!! None of the consequences were actually in writing, but consequences just the same. We've all been there at some time in our careers, and I would imagine that like many in this country, cannot afford to take the chance and disobey a direct order.

I'm sure many were biting their tongues or were throwing up into their mouths as they listened to Obama speak!

It's obvious that most LEO's are pro-2A.

The sample size of 15,000 speaks volumes. The typical sample for "National" surveys, including elections, considered to be reliable within 2 to 4% margin of error is 1,000. So anyone looking at these results can't discredit them based on sample size.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Like the old adage Blues that a few bad apples spoil the barrel, the same is true with cops.
    Of all the internet "acquaintances" that I know of who have, or have had, a connection with LE, I take your word for this above all others. You are as fair and open-minded as anyone I know of, whether taking into account your LE background, or leaving it out of the equation. Still, the "good apples" have to step up and be in the forefront. It is their reputations, their integrity, and their fealty to their oaths that is being harmed by allowing the bad apples to hog the spotlight. That's all I'm saying.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I've met as many good cops as I have met sh!tty ones, FWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I've met as many good cops as I have met sh!tty ones, FWIW.
    I'll be honest - I haven't "met" all that many cops. Since about 1994 or so, that has been on purpose. We owned a little coffee shop on the main drag of a small town. When we first opened, we had several folks recommend that we offer discounts or free stuff to cops and firefighters. I had no objection to it, so we offered free small coffees to 'em, and free refills in our logo mugs after they bought one (which was a large size). This one cop started coming in every day and eventually we became pretty friendly. He and his wife both rode their own Harleys, as did me and my wife, so we started going on rides together and generally socializing away from our respective jobs. That went on for at least two years, maybe three.

One day I'm standing at the espresso machine making a drink when I see a car pull into my parking lot with a cop car with its lights flashing pulling in right behind him. I see the driver get out and start pointing in his car while yelling something towards the cop car. As he's doing that, I see my friend get out of the squad car. I finished up the drink, took my customer's money, and then went outside to see what was up. The driver was yelling, "Dude! She's having a baby RIGHT NOW! I gotta get to the hospital!" My friend was writing a ticket and ignoring the driver, so the driver finally said F You! and started getting back in his car. My friend calmly put his ticket book down on the trunk of the guy's car, walked to the driver's door, opened it, dragged the guy out, SLAMMED him on the hood and started whining about being told "F You" as he emphasized every couple of words with another slam of the guy's head on the hood.

After it was all over, my now ex-friend had to let the guy go on his way after I called 911 and got his supervisor down there. The dad-to-be was missing two front teeth, both of which I found after everyone left my parking lot. He was bleeding profusely out of his mouth as he drove his wife(?) or girlfriend to the hospital to deliver a baby. Never heard how that went. Never saw the guy again, even though I had told him that I would be a witness for him if he ever needed one. I don't know if my ex-friend was simply embarrassed from losing his cool in front of me, or if he was pissed because he heard me offer to be a witness, but he never came back for coffee anymore, and to tell you the truth, I was glad. The dude was dangerous. I didn't want him in my store anymore.

There's no big, profound moral to the story here. The best moral I can offer is simply, "You just never know." So I keep my distance from cops in every way I have control over. I haven't actually met and conversed with a cop since that day, and have no desire to. There are an awful lot of folks out there just like me, who have either witnessed brutality dispensed illegally under the color of authority, or they just see the same stuff we all see on YouTube and other outlets and feel fearful and distrusting of cops on that basis alone. Fair or not, there is a brutal image that cops have at least participated in fomenting, if not been wholly responsible for. They are the only ones who can change it. The best any of us can do is survive an encounter with them while being unjustifiably subservient and deferential to them just so we won't piss them off and get our heads smashed against our car hoods for no good reason.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

These guys are not cops in the usual sense but, if you want to meet some cocky F'ing LEOs... talk & interact with USAF Security Forces and DoD LEO. Holy crap! They think they're gods and actually make the laws. Here's a story:

Last summer, don't remember exactly, I was on my lunch break so I went to the shoppette(convenience store) on base to get some gas and something to eat. So, I had pulled in to the pumps which were all taken for people who had to fuel up on the left side of their vehicles. So, I turned around behind the pumps to face the other way, and pump. All this goes well, then, I back the truck up to the curb in front of the pumps to park(like everybody else does). I park, get out and start walking towards the door. As I'm nearing a Security Forces E-5(on her way out), she says "You know you can't park there." So, I say, "There's no sign stating that, so yes, I can." Oh man... did that piss her off! She cocks up, says "That doesn't matter, I said you can't park there." Heh, right there I knew I was going to enjoy this. She obviously didn't know what she was doing. So, I say "You don't get to decide that, the Wing Commander, Col. McComb does. Last I checked, he has not signed any OI(Operating Instruction) designating this curb as a no parking zone, that's why it's not marked." Ooh, was she pissed man... She then goes on about why my truck is facing "the wrong way". She says, "And why is your truck facing the wrong way? You aren't allowed to enter from over there(pointing to the exit route) anyway!" I say, "I didn't enter through the exit drive, I backed my truck into the next open pump which happened to be meant for cars with their gas caps on the right sides. That's why I'm facing this way." She says, you see those arrows? Those mean you can only drive in that direction." I say, "Uh huh, that's what I did. Just in reverse." She says "You can't do that, and you can't park here! Move your vehicle or I'm going to ticket you."

At this point, I didn't feel like talking to her dumbass anymore and wanted my food and drink. So, I say "Thank you, have a good day." I walk back to my truck, get in and circle around to the parking lot(like going around my ass to get to my elbow). So, I get my food and eat. Then, I drive over to the Security Forces headquarters building to ask a question. I go in, up to the bullet resistant glass and ask to speak with the supervisor. A DoD LEO walks out. I ask about the no parking thing that I just went through over at the Shoppette. You want to know what she tells me? She says, "Yes, you can park there. As long as it isn't obstructing the flow of traffic, sure. We've had a few other people ask us about this too." I say, "Thank you, I think you need to have a staff meeting about this problem. Do I need to fill out an official complaint card or something?" She says, "No, I'll bring it up again. The Flight Chief already knows about it, thank you."

I park there almost every time I go to the Shoppette, get gas and want to go in right after. So far, no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I'll be honest - I haven't "met" all that many cops. Since about 1994 or so, that has been on purpose. We owned a little coffee shop on the main drag of a small town. When we first opened, we had several folks recommend that we offer discounts or free stuff to cops and firefighters. I had no objection to it, so we offered free small coffees to 'em, and free refills in our logo mugs after they bought one (which was a large size). This one cop started coming in every day and eventually we became pretty friendly. He and his wife both rode their own Harleys, as did me and my wife, so we started going on rides together and generally socializing away from our respective jobs. That went on for at least two years, maybe three.

One day I'm standing at the espresso machine making a drink when I see a car pull into my parking lot with a cop car with its lights flashing pulling in right behind him. I see the driver get out and start pointing in his car while yelling something towards the cop car. As he's doing that, I see my friend get out of the squad car. I finished up the drink, took my customer's money, and then went outside to see what was up. The driver was yelling, "Dude! She's having a baby RIGHT NOW! I gotta get to the hospital!" My friend was writing a ticket and ignoring the driver, so the driver finally said F You! and started getting back in his car. My friend calmly put his ticket book down on the trunk of the guy's car, walked to the driver's door, opened it, dragged the guy out, SLAMMED him on the hood and started whining about being told "F You" as he emphasized every couple of words with another slam of the guy's head on the hood.

After it was all over, my now ex-friend had to let the guy go on his way after I called 911 and got his supervisor down there. The dad-to-be was missing two front teeth, both of which I found after everyone left my parking lot. He was bleeding profusely out of his mouth as he drove his wife(?) or girlfriend to the hospital to deliver a baby. Never heard how that went. Never saw the guy again, even though I had told him that I would be a witness for him if he ever needed one. I don't know if my ex-friend was simply embarrassed from losing his cool in front of me, or if he was pissed because he heard me offer to be a witness, but he never came back for coffee anymore, and to tell you the truth, I was glad. The dude was dangerous. I didn't want him in my store anymore.

There's no big, profound moral to the story here. The best moral I can offer is simply, "You just never know." So I keep my distance from cops in every way I have control over. I haven't actually met and conversed with a cop since that day, and have no desire to. There are an awful lot of folks out there just like me, who have either witnessed brutality dispensed illegally under the color of authority, or they just see the same stuff we all see on YouTube and other outlets and feel fearful and distrusting of cops on that basis alone. Fair or not, there is a brutal image that cops have at least participated in fomenting, if not been wholly responsible for. They are the only ones who can change it. The best any of us can do is survive an encounter with them while being unjustifiably subservient and deferential to them just so we won't piss them off and get our heads smashed against our car hoods for no good reason.

Blues
    I not only like this, I love this! I have always believed in our system to serve and protect, an even found myself defending the actions of officers to those, whom I assumed, just didn't "understand" the stress and things a police officer has to be a part of. But, after my recent run in with one, I have different views. I still believe in MOST police, however, my true belief in their wish to serve and protect has been forever tarnished!

I admire you for telling this story, and also for standing behind a citizen regardless of your friendship.
    And, mostly, I admire you for speaking out about this! Many people are afraid too, and that is exactly why we have so many bad situations involving the police and the public.

Thank you for sharing this :)
    Don't wait until you are ready to take action. Instead take action to be ready -Jensen Siaw

I agree 100 percent!!
    Don't wait until you are ready to take action. Instead take action to be ready -Jensen Siaw

11. If you surveyed ONLY Chiefs of Police, you would get entirely different responses. Chiefs are a political animal and once made chief, drink the Cool aide of he Mayors or Commissioners, or whatever. Most Chiefs forget what it was like as a line officer, if they ever was one.
    Proud Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiricy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast