Toomey bucks gun owners in background check deal - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toomey bucks gun owners in background check deal

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49417 View Post
    This bill, as I understand it, will change almost nothing. Online purchases already go through a FFL Dealer, who does a background check. Gun shows requiring background checks? OK. Maybe we'll stop hearing all the bitching about the imaginary "loophole."
    My problem with this is that it's just a tiny step. The next step also will be just a tiny step. So will the next step. And the next one. But they end up with total gun registration, maybe a total gun ban. Just a step at a time. Each step will "...change almost nothing." But they will total to changing almost everything. Ask the survivers of the Nazi's.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by boarderx View Post
    I don't understand what's so bad about this. You already need to undergo a background check at gun shows in PA. I had one done when I bought my AR last year. This law doesn't look like it adds a whole lot and it even exempts private transfers amongst family members and friends. I'm pro-gun and have been following the whole issue since late last year. If you, or someone, could explain why this specific bill is bad for us gun owners, I would be grateful!
    It is bad for gun owners because it lets the government get more involved with our lives and also gives another data base for them to monitor us with. What I have, buy, or sell is none of the government's business. Regardless of what the anti-gunners are saying, this measure will not stop crime, only limit the freedoms of gun owners. Next, we'll be like England, blunt the sharp points on knives since all the major chefs there said a sharp point wasn't needed on knives. Without sharp points on knives, the crime level will decrease? Same principal, the government is getting into private lives of citizens using the most inane of excuses. My guns are mine, don't try to tell me you don't like how they look. My knives are sharp and very sharp pointed, don't tell me to blunt them. In other words, leave me the hell alone!

Attachment 9378

Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    From another group:

While the proposed legislation
    contains limited exceptions for transfers, such as between family
    members, a little digging shows that you would be committing a
    federal felony if you:
    * Leave town for more than 7 days, and leave someone else at home with your firearms;
    * Lend a firearm to a friend to take shooting or to go hunting;
    * Loan a firearm to a family member if they live at a different residence;
    * Hand a firearm to someone at a gun club which is not a shooting range;
    * Teach someone to shoot on your own land, if you hand them the firearm; or
    * Fail to report a firearm as lost or stolen within 24 hours.
    Not saying it isn't so, but where is this particular language documented? I can't find it in S. 480, at least what I've been able to pull up on line.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I don't understand what's so bad about this. You already need to undergo a background check at gun shows in PA. I had one done when I bought my AR last year. This law doesn't look like it adds a whole lot and it even exempts private transfers amongst family members and friends. I'm pro-gun and have been following the whole issue since late last year. If you, or someone, could explain why this specific bill is bad for us gun owners, I would be grateful!
    Please, please, PLEASE read all of this link to find out what this "compromise" really does. Don't fall for another "compromise" that is no compromise at all. A compromise is a give-and-take proposition. What do we as gun owners have to give? Only our God-given, fundamental, unalienable rights. What do we get in return for agreeing to such a "compromise?" Just our rights being weaker than they were the day before.

Not one more inch!

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    From another group:

While the proposed legislation
    contains limited exceptions for transfers, such as between family
    members, a little digging shows that you would be committing a
    federal felony if you:
    * Leave town for more than 7 days, and leave someone else at home with your firearms;
    * Lend a firearm to a friend to take shooting or to go hunting;
    * Loan a firearm to a family member if they live at a different residence;
    * Hand a firearm to someone at a gun club which is not a shooting range;
    * Teach someone to shoot on your own land, if you hand them the firearm; or
    * Fail to report a firearm as lost or stolen within 24 hours.
    Found it in Schumer's proposal, S 374. Here's a link:
    Text of S. 374: Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013 (Reported by Senate Committee version) - GovTrack.us

Just because you in PA may have to does not mean that that is true in the rest of the US. Florida doesn't require guns to be listed on our license but NY does. Do you want NY's laws in PA?
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    Not saying it isn't so, but where is this particular language documented? I can't find it in S. 480, at least what I've been able to pull up on line.
    It was compiled by the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

The purpose of this is to build a future database for confiscation!

-Doc

10. you can always tell what a bill is intended to do by its name - it's always the opposite of whatever the name suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post

I heard on the radio this afternoon, that all of Schumer's language would be sticken by Toomey's ammendment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast