Remington - and Bushmaster - staying in NY despite SAFE act... - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remington - and Bushmaster - staying in NY despite SAFE act...

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    It's important to understand that NY did not outlaw the assault weapon, but rather imposed a means test requiring the guns meet certain requirements in order to be sold. Certain features aren't allowed. I didn't expect the larger companies to relocate over this. The cost of moving is massive, perhaps not survivable by the company. What it does show is that the only thing important in corporate America is profits.

Parse it anyway you want-

Combat Vet Faces Felony Charges for Possessing 30-Round Mags in NY (VIDEO)

Monday, February 25, 2013 13:44
    % of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

(Before It's News)
    An Army combat veteran with over 12 years of service is now facing weapons-related felony charges for possessing five empty 30-round magazines. If convicted on all five counts, one for each mag., the former soldier could spend up to 7 years behind bars.
    In January, Nate Haddad of Watertown was parked on the side of the road waiting to meet someone who was interested in purchasing his magazines, which were built for an AR-15.
    Although magazines over 10 rounds had been banned in New York since 1994, there had been a grandfather clause for mags made prior to that year. Haddad, who claimed to have purchased them at an Army surplus store, believed he was in possession of lawful, pre-ban mags.
    When police officers showed up on the scene (it’s not exactly clear why they stopped), they disagreed with Haddad about the production year the mags. They arrested Haddad and charged him with five counts of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Third Degree, a Class D Felony.
    “I certainly did not think I was committing a felony crime by having these [mags],” Haddad told local news affiliate WGRZ-TV.
    “My understanding of what I had in my possession was that it was manufactured before 1994, but the arresting officers told me otherwise after I showed them the magazines that I had in my possession,” Haddad said.
    In court last week, the Jefferson County prosecutor offered Haddad a plea deal, WGRZ-TV reported. Seth Buchman, Haddad’s lawyers, said his client could have taken five misdemeanor counts and a conditional discharge following a probationary period to avoid a possible felony conviction and jail time.
    Haddad politely rejected the deal.
    “Even if I took that deal I would still be branded as a criminal, and I don’t think I should be,” Haddad said.
    “At this point, I can’t say for sure how doing so might impact my access to Fort Drum,” he continued. “If it were to be restricted, then I would likely lose my job.” Haddad, who injured his shoulder during Special Forces training in 2010, now holds a civilian job at Fort Drum.
    Given this tough decision, Haddad is now gearing up for a protracted legal battle in court. As such, his Brother has created a website where individuals can donate money to help pay for the cost of Haddad’s legal bills.
    Thus far, in a little over a month, 1,137 people have donated $45,000, which is almost half way to the ultimate goal of $100,000.
    In a passionate plea to potential donors, Haddad’s brother Michael explains why supporting his brother’s fight is important.
    My brother, Nathan Haddad, is not only a decorated combat veteran, but models the character qualities that make him the kind of man who goes out of his way to help his fellow man and other veterans. He would not knowingly do anything against the law, compromise his faith and deeply rooted principles, or jeopardize his rights guaranteed by our Constitution.
    On Sunday January 6th he was arrested for possession of five, 30 round empty magazines that he believed were pre-ban magazines when he purchased them. Meanwhile, in Washington D.C, David Gregory of NBC news doesn’t even get a slap on the hand for a similar offense when he held up one on National TV during a newscast.
    My brother was medically discharged after 12 years of service and does not have the funds necessary needed for Attorney fees, and unless he has adequate defense and gets his charges reduced, he is not going to get the same treatment that David Gregory, a rich, white, liberal, media mogul got. This is a travesty!
    Please, anybody and everybody, would you be willing to donate to our fund to help support my brother? Below are some additional websites that will attest to the reason why my brother is deserving of your help. Thank you very much!
    -Michael Haddad
    (For the list of websites, click here)
    In response to the outpour of support, Haddad told WGRZ-TV, “I am absolutely touched by the generosity of people who have donated anywhere from five dollars to even 300 dollars.”
    Beyond the scope of Haddad’s personal plight, New Yorkers should view this as a cautionary tale. Following the passage of Cuomo’s gun control package, known as the NY SAFE Act, it will soon be illegal for anyone to possess a magazine holding more than seven rounds.
    What’s more, there is no grandfather clause. Consequently, it stands to reason that many otherwise law-abiding New Yorkers will be slapped with criminal chargers for possessing what is currently considered legal property.
    From PostStar.com:
    Bans possession of any “high-capacity magazines” regardless of when they were made or sold. The maximum capacity for a detachable magazine is reduced from ten rounds to seven. Magazines owned before passage of the SAFE Act able to hold seven to ten rounds can be possessed, but cannot be loaded with more than seven rounds. .22 caliber tubular magazines are exempt from this limit. Previously legal “pre-1994-ban” magazines with a capacity of 30 rounds are not exempt, and must be sold within one year to an out-of-state resident or turned into local authorities. The magazine limit takes effect April 15, 2013.
    For more on how the NY SAFE Act effects you, click here.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    ezkl2230 was kind enough to answer your question, even though it is actually 143.... shame on him...... rebuttal?
    I'm guessing you missed my reply.

That list is all BS. Those companies are not selling firearms to NYS. All vendors with NYS have to be registered and that information is available to the public on the Comptroller's web site.

Claiming they are not going to sell firearms or ammunition to NYS when they aren't selling fireams or weapons to NYS in the first place is pure BS.

Second, any company that already had a contract with NYS would be bound by contract law to complete it.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm guessing you missed my reply.

That list is all BS. Those companies are not selling firearms to NYS. All vendors with NYS have to be registered and that information is available to the public on the Comptroller's web site.

Claiming they are not going to sell firearms or ammunition to NYS when they aren't selling fireams or weapons to NYS in the first place is pure BS.

Second, any company that already had a contract with NYS would be bound by contract law to complete it.
    Not if a new law forbid the fulfilling of a contract.

Gun Manufacturers/Retailers refuse to sell to Law Enforcement in anti-gun states

Posted on February 25, 2013
    Print Email Share

DATE: February 25, 2013
    TO: USF & NRA Members and Friends
    USF Executive Director
    NRA Past President

Many Gun Manufacturers and Retailers are refusing to sell guns and ammunition to Law Enforcement in New York and other antigun states. The latest report on The Blaze claims that "now over 44 gun companies have stopped selling to law enforcement" in states that limit a private citizen’s right to own a gun.

Here is a link to the last article on The Blaze, Gaining Momentum: Now 44 Gun Companies Have Stopped Selling to Law Enforcement In Anti-2nd Amendment States by Mike Opelka. This is followed by a partial list of manufacturers and retailers who have taken a stand. Their statements are linked to the names or go to the article.

Olympic Arms, Inc
    La Rue Tactical
    EFI, LLC – Extreme Firepower
    York Arms
    Templar Custom
    Cheaper Than Dirt
    Barrett Firearms
    Exile Machine
    Tier One Arms
    Bravo Company USA
    Primary Weapons Systems
    Crusader Weaponry
    Top Gun Supply
    Kiss Tactical
    Clark Fork Tactical
    OFA Tactical
    One Source Tactical
    Templar Tactical Arms
    NEMO Arms
    Old Grouch’s Military Surplus
    Big Horn Armory
    Midway USA
    CMMG Inc
    Rocky Top Tactical
    Badger Peak
    Controlled Chaos Arms
    SRT Arms
    Norton Firearms
    Citizen Arms
    Evolution Weaponry
    Doublestar Corp
    JCW Industries
    Huntertown Arms

Serbu Firearms Refuses to Sell .50 Cal Sniper Rifles to NYPD

3/25/13 | by Max Slowik
    Serbu Firearms, a manufacturer of bolt-action and semi-automatic .50 caliber sniper rifles, is refusing to sell their wares to the NYPD. Their reason, of course, is that owing to unfair gun laws, they will not support law enforcement in New York.
    Serbu is one of almost 150 companies that has officially refused to sell to law enforcement in New York following the passage of the SAFE Act, the controversial gun control package that has been met with scorn by gun owners across the nation.
    The company posted the NYPD’s inquiry as well as their refusal to their Facebook page, with names omitted.
    Company founder Mark Serbu said, “Unfortunately, we have a policy of selling to state law enforcement agencies only what is allowed to be sold to private citizens in that state. Since the passage of the NY SAFE act, the BFG-50A is considered an assault weapon and as such is no longer available to private citizens in the state of New York. Therefore we have to respectfully decline to supply your department with BFG-50A rifles.”
    He also said he felt bad about not being able to outfit the officers, because although he would like to get his guns into “as many police departments as possible,” his decision is a matter of principle.
    “Because of a stupid law the venerable NYPD won’t have the best tools for the job.”
    What’s interesting about this is that while Serbu makes a fine firearm and impressive .50 BMG rifles, they’re not a first-tier company in the sniper rifle world and are perhaps best known for their compact Super-Shorty shotguns.
    Two of the biggest names in sniper rifles, Barrett and ArmaLite, have already stated that they will not sell to the police departments of New York. If the NYPD is calling Serbu, we have to wonder how many other companies have told them to keep walking.
    Serbu is the 137th company to halt sales to New York law enforcement according to the unofficial official New York Boycott list, which is now up to 142 companies (at the time of writing) and likely to keep growing.
    The New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, an NRA affiliate, along with the Westchester County Firearms Owners Association, Sportsmen’s Association for Firearms Education, Blueline Tactical Police Supply and several other plaintiffs have filed suit against the state of New York and the SAFE Act.
    If you want to let them know what you think yea or nay, of just “like” them, head over to the Serbu Firearms Facebook page.

Categories: Politics & 2nd Amendment, Product & Industry News

Numerous Firearms Manufacturers Refuse to Sell to Govt’s That Ban Civilian Gun Ownership!

by Glenn At New York City Guns

Categories: Activism, News, Police & Thieves, Politics

Tags: No Tags

Comments: No Comments

Published on: February 16, 2013

While the President and the rabid left continue to pursue a ban on semi-automatic firearms, manufacturers are fighting back by refusing to sell to government agencies that support the President’s plan.
    Chicago Mayor Rahm Emannuel tried to pressure Bank of America to stop doing business with firearms companies. Viewed as perfectly acceptable behavior by a large portion of America, firearms manufacturers copied the tactic and returned the favor.
    Larue Tactical, Olympic Arms, Templar Custom, Extreme Firepower and now RAM Arms have vocalized that they will not sell their products to government agencies that support the President’s position on gun rights.
    The President believes that ordinary citizens do not need shotguns with more than 5 rounds, pistols with more than 10 or rifles with more than 10. The math is a bit fuzzy as most murders are committed with handguns containing relatively few rounds. The number of rounds is actually irrelevant. In fact, the gun is irrelevant – apparently, when someone decides to kill someone else, they prefer baseball bats or choking the life out of them over guns.
    The number of gun crimes committed by lawful gun owners is infinitesimal -yeah, like, near non-existent compared to the total. I know, who wants facts when emotion can lead us to a final decision?
    Oddly, criminals get guns that the lawmakers in Chicago, New York and LA have banned. How is that possible? They made the law, certainly that means everyone will follow it?
    Sarcasm aside, many firearms manufacturers have decided to answer the government’s unconstitutional overreach by refusing to sell government agencies arms or ammunition. As the President says, the people should come first – and so they shall.
    Read More…

Gun Companies Refuse Sales to State Governments with Strict Gun Laws

Print ArticleSend a Tip

by Kerry Picket15 Feb 2013966post a commentView Discussion
    Six gun companies have announced plans to stop selling any of their products to any government agency in states that severely limit the rights of private gun ownership.

Disappointed with New York State lawmakers and other jurisdictions around the country who have passed strict gun control legislation, the companies—composed of firearm manufacturers, gunsmiths, and sporting goods retailers—have announced these policies in the past week.
    Their various statements emphasize that such laws create a class of government employees with rights and and a class of citizens without rights. Thus, they refuse to aid the enforcement of such inequality.
    The announcements read:

Effective today, in an effort to see that no legal mistakes are made by LaRue Tactical and/or its employees, we will apply all current State and Local Laws (as applied to civilians) to state and local law enforcement / government agencies. In other words, LaRue Tactical will limit all sales to what law-abiding citizens residing in their districts can purchase or possess.

Due the passing of this legislation, Olympic Arms would like to announce that the State of New York, any Law Enforcement Departments, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders within the State of New York, or any New York State government entity or employee of such an entity - will no longer be served as customers.
    In short, Olympic Arms will no longer be doing business with the State of New York or any governmental entity or employee of such governmental entity within the State of New York - henceforth and until such legislation is repealed, and an apology made to the good people of the State of New York and the American people.

The Federal Government and several states have enacted gun control laws that restrict the public from owning and possessing certain types of firearms. Law-enforcement agencies are typically exempt from these restrictions. EFI, LLC does not recognize law-enforcement exemptions to local, state, and federal gun control laws. If a product that we manufacture is not legal for a private citizen to own in a jurisdiction, we will not sell that product to a law-enforcement agency in that jurisdiction.

We will not sell arms to agents of the state of New York that hold themselves to be "more equal" than their citizens.

As long as the legislators of New York think they have the power to limit the rights of their citizens, in defiance of the Constitution, we at Templar will not sell them firearms to enforce their edicts.

Templar Custom is announcing that the State of New York, any Law Enforcement Departments, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders within the State of New York, or any New York State government entity or employee will no longer be served as customers.

Based on the recent legislation in New York, we are prohibited from selling rifles and receivers to residents of New York. We have chosen to extend that prohibition to all governmental agencies associated with or located within New York. As a result we have halted sales of rifles, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, machine guns, and silencers to New York governmental agencies.

Recently, companies such as LaRue Tactical and Olympic Arms have announced that they will no longer sell prohibited items to government agencies and personnel in states that deny the right to own those items to civilians. It has been and will continue to be Cheaper Than Dirt’s policy to not to sell prohibited items to government agencies and/or agents in states, counties, cities, and municipalities that have enacted restrictive gun control laws against their citizens. We support and encourage other companies that share in this policy.
    Second Amendment activist groups Guns Save Life and Grass Roots North Carolina are currently urging big gun manufacturers Sig Sauer, Smith and Wesson, and Glock to halt their sales to government agencies within states that have clamped down on their residents' right to bear arms.

Some of you people either don't read or don't know how to read.

Now comes a quandary question for those who would boycott guns made by Remington. Remington makes guns for others and while bearing the Remington/Remington Arms Co. name and Ilion, NY rollmarks, they are sold by/manufactured for a southern company. So would you not buy from that company too?
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Now comes a quandary question for those who would boycott guns made by Remington. Remington makes guns for others and while bearing the Remington/Remington Arms Co. name and Ilion, NY rollmarks, they are sold by/manufactured for a southern company. So would you not buy from that company too?

I aint' buying ****, got what I need.

If you ain't prepared by now, you deserve whats coming.

Fodder anyway.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast