Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state lines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state lines

Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state lines

Published April 13, 2013
    FoxNews.com

• FILE: April 10, 2013: Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, of West Virginia, left, and Republican Sen. Patrick Toomey, of Pennsylvania, announce a deal on gun-control legislation, on Capitol Hill, in Washington. (AP)

The deal between Sens. Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey on the gun-controlled legislation scheduled for formal Senate debate next week could make it easier to carry concealed weapons across state lines.
    The provision is part of the deal Manchin, D-W.V., and Toomey, R-Pa., reached earlier this week on background checks for gun buyers and will be among the first parts of the legislation that senators will consider.
    The provision is similar to the Interstate Commerce Reform Act of 2012, which was sponsored by two Republicans -- Rep. Steve Scalise, Louisiana, and Sen. Orrin Hatch, Utah. The legislation failed despite strong support from the National Rifle Association.
    The proposal essentially grants states "reciprocity" regarding concealed carry provisions.
    In other words, the provision would grant gun owners the right to obtain a firearm and a concealed-carry permit in their home state, then use the permit to carry and conceal the firearm in another state.
    Though many states have laws on buying firearms and concealed-carry permits, the federal provision, if adopted, could trump state laws.
    The amendment states the gun owner must have been granted the permit within the past five years. However, a handful of states routinely grant lifetime permits.
    The amendment also could give similar rights to firearms dealers, allowing them to sell in states beyond the one in which they were originally licensed.
    Passing gun-control legislation has become a major part of President Obama’s second-term agenda since the December 2012 shootings at a Connecticut elementary school in which 20 first-graders and six adults were killed.
    Americans appear to support some form of background checks to keep guns out the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, according to polls.
    However, further gun control legislation has faced stiff opposition on Capitol Hill, with many Republicans and moderate Democrats saying voters in their home districts do not support such efforts.
    Proposals to ban semi-automatic weapons and high-capacity gun magazines have already been taken out of the legislation.
    A Republican-backed effort to block the Senate debate was defeated this week, opening the way for the full debate. However, even if the Senate passes some form of legislation, the proposal would also face tough votes in the Republican-controlled House.
    Please post other details of this bill.

Read more: Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state lines | Fox News
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

I wonder will NYC be part of this.

Yes. I watched the press conference and that was a specific question about gun owners getting arrested in JFK for legally transporting a handgun while flying. The answer given was yes, it would protect legal gun owners from being arrested in JFk and other areas in NYC. Of course, you would have to know every little place and law in the state of NY and different cities. The new bill would just give the right to carry concealed where the local laws allowed. I am sure NYC would ban carrying anywhere but from your house to your car and back to house.

5. Gun Owners of America has lawyers on hand and they do not agree!

You will have to PROVE where you are coming from, where you are going, that the guns in your possession are yours, and that the reason you are transporting those guns are legit. Toomey-Manchin deal is not gun owner friendly! Do NOT support it!

6. I guess this is a plus but I'm not planning on travel to N.Y.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinbF View Post
    You will have to PROVE where you are coming from, where you are going, that the guns in your possession are yours, and that the reason you are transporting those guns are legit. Toomey-Manchin deal is not gun owner friendly! Do NOT support it!
    Absolutely right. Please people, don't get all hypnotized behind some promise of reciprocity in exchange for less freedom in other ways. Anything they can give, they can take away, and Lord knows they will. Reciprocity isn't your right, the right to keep and bear is. Any other premise is controlling that which government is prohibited from infringing upon. Don't fall for it.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

If they cant get CCWers on carrying their firearms into NYS, they will just get them on mag restrictions or someother BS.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinbF View Post
    You have to be suspicious of anything the gun grabbers support. There has to be something hidden in this proposal besides reciprocity! Background checks still will lead to registration which I oppose. Reciprocity is a smokescreen for the real provisions in this act.
    Dave "The said Constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams

Reciprocity is the "straw man" in the bill to lure you in to support it. It will never stand. I have personally written to Schumer and Gillibrand(Schumer's talking doll) in the past regarding reciprocity and have gotten the same answers from both (When Scumer pulls the string in her back, the words that come out of her mouth are pre-recorded per the Schumer script). The State of NY will remain restrictive and will not honor permits from other states under the "States Rights" provision.

Do not support this SHAM legislation under any circumstances. The Liar in Chief will only sign gun legislation if it limits or takes away some of your rights!

I have an idea, why don't we all just carry everywhere we wish under this new bill, damn, don't need the bill the 2nd amendment already trumps (in their words) any new law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast