Thanks NRA et al - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks NRA et al

Quote Originally Posted by One78Shovel View Post
    I have not been this happy in a while

Score One For The Home Team

Senate rejects expanded gun background checks - CNN.com

-178S

Lets not forget all the State Level Associations! They did just as much legwork! I know mine did!

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    Obama, Schumer & Feinstein are like rabid dogs. They WILL NOT STOP.
    POTUS said he was disappointed with the vote. But some good could have come from this,
    the Veterans amt, & the Reciprocity amt. But of course all of the Dems voted against those.
    Even Sen. Levin (One of mine), voted no, & he is the chairman of the Armed Service Commitee.
    The whole thing was a joke to me.
    You can bet that each one who voted against obummer are being taken to the woodshed today!!!! While I was VERY happy to here that the bill was defeated, I was upset that the vote was that close. We should take all the GOP's who sided with obummer to the woodshed!!!!!

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Here's a link to the Senate roll call vote tallies for the Manchin-Toomey-Schumer amendment to the "Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013."

Following is a chart of the N R A's and GOA's ratings for the Senate. The WaPo made the chart, not me, so I have no idea why it's in the convoluted order it's in, but that's not the point. There are major (and minor) discrepancies between many Senators' ratings for the N R A and GOA. For me personally, the descrepancies for my two Senators, Shelby and Sessions, are the same - N R A gives them A+ while GOA gives them each an A-. I'm not sure why that is, but the varience is so slight that I'm not really concerned with it. If it matters, I have no qualms with either rating. Sessions and Shelby have been very consistently pro-2A.

However, if I lived in a state where the varience was quite wide, I'd want to know which rating gives me the better information about how I should vote when the lower-rated Senators come up for reelection. Like for instance, Baucus (D-MT) gets an A+ from N R A, and a D- from GOA. If I lived in Montana, I'd want to know how each organization arrived at their ratings, especially if I were a member of one or both organizations.

I suggest that y'all compare the chart below with the vote on the Manchin-Toomey-Schumer amendment linked at the beginning of this post to see how (or if) your Senators' votes square with the ratings these two organizations have given them. Only that scrutiny will tell you whether it's appropriate to thank either organization for their efforts in defeating yesterday's votes.

Note: The N R A "AQ" rating means that the rating is based only on a questionaire, as opposed to the Senator's voting record. A couple of the AQ ratings are given for Senators that GOA has not rated at all. I do not know what this discrepancy should indicate. If you live in one of those states, you may want to try to find out what it means.

. Senator State Party N R A GOA
    . Inhofe Okla. R A+ A+
    . Thune S.D. R A+ A+
    . Cruz Texas R A+ A
    . Wicker Miss. R A+ A
    . Chambliss Ga. R A+ A-
    . Crapo Idaho R A+ A-
    . Sessions Ala. R A+ A-
    . Shelby Ala. R A+ A-
    . Hatch Utah R A+ B-
    . Baucus Mont. D A+ D-
    . Boozman Ark. R A A+
    . Coburn Okla. R A A+
    . Vitter La. R A A+
    . Barrasso Wyo. R A A
    . Blunt Mo. R A A
    . Burr N.C. R A A
    . Cornyn Texas R A A
    . Fischer Neb. R A A
    . Flake Ariz. R A A
    . Heller Nev. R A A
    . Hoeven N.D. R A A
    . Johanns Neb. R A A
    . McConnell Ky. R A A
    . Moran Kan. R A A
    . Scott S.C. R A A
    . Cochran Miss. R A A-
    . Enzi Wyo. R A A-
    . Grassley Iowa R A A-
    . Isakson Ga. R A A-
    . Risch Idaho R A A-
    . Roberts Kan. R A A-
    . Toomey Pa. R A A-
    . Ayotte N.H. R A -
    . Murkowski Alaska R A B
    . Portman Ohio R A B
    . Graham S.C. R A B-
    . Alexander Tenn. R A C
    . Corker Tenn. R A C
    . Donnelly Ind. D A C-
    . Heinrich N.M. D A D
    . Manchin W.Va. D A D
    . Casey Pa. D A F
    . T. Johnson S.D. D A F
    . Warner Va. D A F
    . Lee Utah R AQ A
    . Paul Ky. R AQ A
    . Heitkamp N.D. D AQ -
    . R. Johnson Wis. R AQ -
    . Begich Alaska D AQ D
    . Tester Mont. D A- F
    . Rubio Fla. R B+ A
    . McCain Ariz. R B+ C-
    . Reid Nev. D B F-
    . Coats Ind. R C+ C
    . Collins Maine R C+ D-
    . Bennet Colo. D C+ F-
    . Landrieu La. D C F
    . Leahy Vt. D C F
    . M. Udall Colo. D C F
    . Pryor Ark. D C- F
    . T. Udall N.M. D C- F
    . Rockefeller W.Va. D D F
    . Sanders Vt. I D- F
    . Coons Del. D F D
    . Baldwin Wis. D F F
    . Brown Ohio D F F
    . Cantwell Wash. D F F
    . Franken Minn. D F F
    . Hagan N.C. D F F
    . Harkin Iowa D F F
    . Hirono Hawaii D F F
    . Inouye Hawaii D F F
    . Kaine Va. D F F
    . Klobuchar Minn. D F F
    . McCaskill Mo. D F F
    . Merkley Ore. D F F
    . Murray Wash. D F F
    . Nelson Fla. D F F
    . Shaheen N.H. D F F
    . Stabenow Mich. D F F
    . Warren Mass. D F F
    . Blumenthal Conn. D F F-
    . Boxer Calif. D F F-
    . Cardin Md. D F F-
    . Carper Del. D F F-
    . Durbin Ill. D F F-
    . Feinstein Calif. D F F-
    . Gillibrand N.Y. D F F-
    . Kerry Mass. D F F-
    . Kirk Ill. R F F-
    . Lautenberg N.J. D F F-
    . Levin Mich. D F F-
    . Menendez N.J. D F F-
    . Mikulski Md. D F F-
    . Murphy Conn. D F F-
    . Reed R.I. D F F-
    . Schumer N.Y. D F F-
    . Whitehouse R.I. D F F-
    . Wyden Ore. D F F-
    . King Maine I - -
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by GaT View Post
    Stay informed, stay strong, & keep the phones, emails etc. going to the elected officials that keep fighting the Constitution. Keep beating them back and disrupting their moral & hopes of reelection.
    Absolutely, the antis seem to think that this was a fluke that they can get over. Keep those phone calls and e-mails going and prove them wrong.

Don't forget a big pat on the back for all of us "common folk" who called, emailed and snail mailed our reps as well!
    We had a lot to do with this outcome so don't sell us short just yet!

Great work to all involved!

Help refresh the NRA, GOA, JPFO and others with a few more bucks. This is just the first wave. $1.00, $5.00 whatever, and a note to the ones out of your home state that voted with us. POTUS is angry and that is bad for all of us.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

Thanks NRA et al

I've seen that chart before and it seems to me that the GOA is just more biased against Dems than the NRA. The don't give a single one a grade higher than C- whereas the the NRA has several listed at A. I won't claim to know the actually reasoning behind this though because their both in agreement over my senators so i haven't done much research outside my state. Cantwell and Murray both suck. And they've been in office forever which is annoying. WA is pretty good about 2A measures so I don't understand why these two constitution haters keep getting reelected.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I've seen that chart before and it seems to me that the GOA is just more biased against Dems than the NRA. The don't give a single one a grade higher than C- whereas the the NRA has several listed at A. I won't claim to know the actually reasoning behind this though because their both in agreement over my senators so i haven't done much research outside my state. Cantwell and Murray both suck. And they've been in office forever which is annoying. WA is pretty good about 2A measures so I don't understand why these two constitution haters keep getting reelected.
    Maybe being associated with the party that stands firmly for murdering babies is taken into consideration within the GOA while it is ignored within the N R A. It seems to me that no matter how "good" a Dem's record on 2A votes might be, if they consistently support the notion that denying the right to live is "legal" and good public policy, their support for the 2A is pretty meaningless. The Constitution was built upon the notion that all of mankind has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. One can't pursue the latter two concepts if they aren't allowed to enjoy the first.

I don't care if the GOA is "biased" against Dems for the same reason I am or not. If they fail Dems more often than Reps, it's justified if for no other reason than that the Dem Party supports more gun-grabbing legislation than the Rep Party does, and their affiliations should cost them prestige within the gun-owning "community," a word I resist using, but it seems appropriate in this instance. I have no idea if the GOA's ratings use that criteria or not, but whether they do or they don't, it makes perfect sense to me that Dems would always score lower than "average" Republicans.

That said, they're all wannabe tyrants. If not on gun or abortion issues, their tyranny manifests on other issues. This country is overdue for a reset, no matter which party holds the most power when it comes about. None of them are to be trusted with protecting our rights.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Mother Jones, that wonderful rag, has a post of why NRA won and Gabby Gifford lost. It states New York mayor is going to spend $12,000,000 of his own money to urge Congress to pass common sense gun control. Again, send $$$$$$$$ to our side.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Maybe being associated with the party that stands firmly for murdering babies is taken into consideration within the GOA while it is ignored within the N R A. It seems to me that no matter how "good" a Dem's record on 2A votes might be, if they consistently support the notion that denying the right to live is "legal" and good public policy, their support for the 2A is pretty meaningless. The Constitution was built upon the notion that all of mankind has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. One can't pursue the latter two concepts if they aren't allowed to enjoy the first.

I don't care if the GOA is "biased" against Dems for the same reason I am or not. If they fail Dems more often than Reps, it's justified if for no other reason than that the Dem Party supports more gun-grabbing legislation than the Rep Party does, and their affiliations should cost them prestige within the gun-owning "community," a word I resist using, but it seems appropriate in this instance. I have no idea if the GOA's ratings use that criteria or not, but whether they do or they don't, it makes perfect sense to me that Dems would always score lower than "average" Republicans.

That said, they're all wannabe tyrants. If not on gun or abortion issues, their tyranny manifests on other issues. This country is overdue for a reset, no matter which party holds the most power when it comes about. None of them are to be trusted with protecting our rights.

Blues
    The GOA is a gun lobby group. They should not factor into the equation their opinions of other issues such as abortion especially for the grades they claim are based on the voting records for 2A issues. If they want to lobby for other issues too, they can start a separate lobby group or PAC. That's one of the reasons I'm not a member of the GOA. If I'm going to join a lobby group I want I know what they are lobbying for and whether I agree with their stances on those issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast