My Mother, the doctor and the obamacare required question - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Mother, the doctor and the obamacare required question

Just say no and move on.

I went with my niece to her baby's first well baby check and they asked. But they asked it along with all their other safety questions including safe sleep, car seats, etc. She doesn't have guns so it didn't go anywhere from there but I assume they would have just asked about child safety storage issues. I didn't see it as intrusive framed that way. Maybe I'm wrong???

4. the only time the va will ask is if you are there for ptsd I have been going to the va for 19 years

She was taken aback by the question, I should of prepared her for it. Years ago she had a summer home in Maine. the area's governing board wanted inside her house to better appraise it for tax purposes. She initially told her neighbor to let them in when the time comes. I asked Mother if they have a Search Warrant. Mother started thinking and said she'll call the neighbor and tell her not to let them in. The Doctor knows that I was a Reserve Deputy, but I'll see what happens. I leaning toward saying "I don't recall" if he asks.

Quote Originally Posted by armyguy64 View Post
    the only time the va will ask is if you are there for ptsd I have been going to the va for 19 years
    My dad was 82 years-old with advanced Parkinson's disease. He didn't shoot anymore, was wheelchair bound, couldn't speak, was legally blind, tube-fed and had no use of his hands (Severe tremor) yet the VA doctor asked me. I was caught off-guard. My answer was "you're kidding right? Look at him! What the hell is wrong with you?" His handguns were crossed registered to me so when he passed last year I just took them home with me. No further issues arose.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by escapedthematrix View Post
    Wheaton Franciscan hospital systems in WI asks this. At least at my child's pediatritian office. I always answer no.
    Actually pediatrics is where it originated back in the 80s or 90s. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) asked their member physicians to ask those questions. Very few still do. There's a thread about it here somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathys View Post
    I went with my niece to her baby's first well baby check and they asked. But they asked it along with all their other safety questions including safe sleep, car seats, etc. She doesn't have guns so it didn't go anywhere from there but I assume they would have just asked about child safety storage issues. I didn't see it as intrusive framed that way. Maybe I'm wrong???
    It sort of depends on where it goes from there. Back when the AAP told it's doctors to ask those questions, the doctors were supposed to counsel you that no household was safe with a gun in it, no matter how you stored it. Their basic stance was that you were bad parents if you had a gun in your house. Presumably any doctor asking today would be operating under that same principle.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

I like the "eat silence" comment. Thats what Ill do.
    -Austin

I have heard somewhere that it is not law to ask, but the computer programs for the new record keeping that you must use due to ObamaCare come with those questions automatically on them. It is my understanding that a physicians practice can opt out of certain questions, but many of them don't know it because they aren't told that they can. It probably becomes custom at that point, and becomes more expensive. With the costs that ObamaCare is bringing to healthcare providers, I'm sure there aren't many providers asking about costly customizations to software. They are just looking to get out as cheap as they can and be legal.

There is no computer system mandated under Obamacare. Epic is probably the most common medical charting software in use, and it has no mandatory question set. It isn't a government system either.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat12 View Post
    Unfortunately that is part of the VA's PTSD, depression & suicide screening hat is always ongoing regardless of era. The best way to end that particular template is to ask "Why?" to all explanations offered eventually they get tired and move on, or just say "Nope, got none."
    There are good reasons to ask that of someone who may be suicidal or reports some suicidal ideation or intent. In fact, a licensed physician or psychologist might put their credentials in jeopardy if they did not ask someone who was at risk. That or face civil litigation filed by your survivors when you use your firearms to self-terminate. Not everyone who asks that question is an agent of the government and not everyone who asks it does so for no reason. Some, yes, but not all.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast