Musing on Boston 'Lockdown' and Door to Door searches - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Musing on Boston 'Lockdown' and Door to Door searches

Quote Originally Posted by DRNurse1 View Post
    We are discussing an event in Massachusetts, right? Few law abiding citizens have handguns in that state and the long guns are suppose to be locked up, aren't they? Me thinks the BG has an advantage there.
    Yes, sadly and they probably won't even now realize how useful having a gun can be.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

The people supported this out of an abundance of caution. No one's house was searched against their will. Not every house was searched. In some cases they just talked with a homeowner, ensured they were secure and advised locking down. When a perp is thought to be hiding on your property the police can require you leave the area. Refusal in a dire situation is obstruction. This isn't to violate your rights it's to protect the responders that must weed-out the perp. As can be seen from the celebratory response of the people after the situation ended, the majority were pleased, thankful and proud of the speed and manner in which the situation was handled and the focus on safety to the communities. In addition, if people started moving about they would make it easier for the suspect to blend. But when the streets are empty it's very hard for the suspect to move about.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    The highly educated police administrator that made the decision to"search every house from _____street to ____avenue." But sir we don't have enough men for that. Call in all the off duty, all leaves and comp days are cancelled.
    I heard the press conference and they are asking the residents. (with a team of cops in SWAT gear)
    What a waste of time and manpower. Good God.
    And after all the highly skilled police doing door to door search it still was the everyday citizen who found the the perp. "Hey, you guys missed something over here!"
    I will look towards the hills from whense cometh my help. All my help cometh from the Lord.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    When a perp is thought to be hiding on your property the police can require you leave the area. Refusal in a dire situation is obstruction. This isn't to violate your rights it's to protect the responders that must weed-out the perp.
    Methinks this is only true when they have direct knowledge or at least a strong damn hunch that a felon is in that specific location. Otherwise any cop could show up at your door and say "I think there's a criminal in there" and search your stuff... Don't get me wrong I think there are instances where a search is prudent, if you haven't been home all day and/or something seems suspicious sure, let them look, but it should always be your choice, its your home, your right.

6. Quote Originally Posted by JohnLM View Post
    And after all the highly skilled police doing door to door search it still was the everyday citizen who found the the perp. "Hey, you guys missed something over here!"
    Indeed, because he was hiding outside their 'perimeter' of searches... Seems whoever made this perimeter underestimated a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    REALLY?, you can't compare (fairly) ANY state to a Constitutional Carry state and you know it!......What MA has on VT is no gun signs have no force of law, and MA has a castle doctrine.
    Signs do not carry the force of law in Vermont either, sorry! There is NO assault weapons restrictions and if you get "caught" with a silenced weapon, its a $50 fine.
    No castle doc but duty to retreat is ONLY if it can be done safely. If not... Let'em rip!

2Awarrior Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekul34 View Post
    Indeed, because he was hiding outside their 'perimeter' of searches... Seems whoever made this perimeter underestimated a bit.
    I saw where somebody tweeted how they lifted the lockdown, which in turn allowed the boat owner to leave his house, which allowed him to find the perp. Bingo.

9. My understanding is that the Chief of Police phrased it as a recommendation, not an order.
    "...on any given day there are bad people in the world who are able and willing to hurt you." --Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

10. Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    My understanding is that the Chief of Police phrased it as a recommendation, not an order.
    A recommendation till swat teams with m4's come around shouting at you to comply...

This whole event was definitely a test of martial law. I think the police on the ground had good intentions, but the feds and those at the top were definitely testing how compliant people in 2013 will be with government takeover of the streets.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast