revolvers and semi autos? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: revolvers and semi autos?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    So, to sum up, you can chamber a revolver for pistol cartridges and they work reliably, but revolver cartridges in an auto loader have feeding problems because of the rimmed case.
    Revolvers are strange in that they can be made to handle rifle rounds, Semi-auto pistol rounds, shotgun rounds or revolver rounds. Yes there are some semi-auto pistols that handle rimmed rounds but they are fewer in number. And no, I wouldn't want to fire a pistol chambered in 7.62X54R but there are pistols that fire 5.56X45 and 7.62X39.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost_Blameless View Post
    If you're interested in a nice, expensive, EXTREMELY ACCURATE, semi-auto 1911 type that shoots 38 spl & 357 ... take a look through these links...

Coonan .357 Magnum 1911 Semi-Automatic Pistol & FAL Type III Receiver

http://www.coonaninc.com/images/PDF/priceSheet.pdf

The recoil is supposed to be about like a sub-compact 9mm in 357 mag, and when shooting 38spl , its like a heavy 38spl revolver...eg, hardly any recoil... I have read a bunch of articles published in the last 2 years... seems all good, except that the Coonans are not cheap.

Also you would have to consider the fact that the grips will have a greater girth...
    I own a Coonan and absolutely love it. It is a Great pistol.

4. I wouldn't call it silly.. Not everyone is as ammo savvy and those of us here.. Stop and think, McDonalds had to put a warning label on their coffee cups that it was hot............ Sadly, there are people that stupid!

5. Quote Originally Posted by BenC View Post
    I wouldn't call it silly.. Not everyone is as ammo savvy and those of us here.. Stop and think, McDonalds had to put a warning label on their coffee cups that it was hot............ Sadly, there are people that stupid!
    The original question wasn't silly, but someone providing an incorrect answer as if it is fact in response when you don't really know the answer is silly in my opinion.

revolvers and semi autos?

Try to fit a .38 in magazine and then that magazine in a grip that will fit the average persons hand..

One of the reasons the 10mm was never adopted by the FBI was not only the recoil but the size of gun required to hold a cartridge 32mm long didn't fit the hands of several of their smaller framed shooters. The .38 has a 39mm OAL.

It can be done (FN 5.7x28 has an OAL of 40.5mm) but it severely limits your market and with the other issues presented just isn't practical.

7. revolvers and semi autos?

Thanks for all the info guys. I figured it had something to do with feeding. I mean I recognized that most revolver rounds are quite a bit longer than autos so I figured it might be tougher for them to make that "turn" as they have to feed up into the chamber. I also thought about the fact that the grip would have to be long enough to fit something like a .357 in it which would just be huge. But rather than assuming all these things I figured I'd just ask. But everyone has pretty much confirmed what I suspected. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12