1911 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911

I'm 6'1" 270lbs and carry a full size 1911 with a Kholster In the waste band Holster.
    I love my Ruger SR1911. She is beautiful and shoots far better than anything I have ever shot including my old Colt 1911 Service weapon.
    I would recommend one to anybody wanting to get into the 1911 world. Ruger did a nice job on this gun. Their research was spot on. Everything you want in a 1911, and nothing you don't want.
    Get a really good belt, drop the holster down to where the Kydex sits just above the belt line and your full size 1911 will ride like she's not even there.
    You'll feel the weight but the gun just does not move.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKoWitz View Post
    Personally, I prefer all steel firearms. I have an S&W 1911 E SC with a 4 1/4" barrel, the frame is Scandium. It weighs 29.6 ounces. I also have a RIA (Rock Island Armory) 3.5" barrel 1911 (steel frame), it weighs 34.5 ounces. The RIA is much more pleasurable regarding the felt recoil. I've also shot a Kimber PRO 4" barrel (steel frame) and Springfield 5" barrel (steel frame). The steel guns are more pleasurable to shoot, because they weigh more. The S&W isn't unbearable, but it certainly transfers more recoil. A replacement grip by Pachmayr or Hogue made of recoil absorbing rubber would help with recoil on the lighter alloy frame firearms (if it's an issue). The best thing you could do, go to a range where you can rent them and see the difference. Who knows, it may not matter to you. As for color, I prefer all black, but my S&W has the satin finish stainless slide (wanted black, out of stock at the time). All black is more stealth and better for carry. I bought the S&W because it has the bobbed heel, more comfortable to hold and having a 3/4" shorter barrel over a full size, it is easier to conceal carry. I personally do not find it a problem carrying 34 to 42 ounces (loaded weight) around all day, even using an IWB holster.
    It is kind of amazing how the RIA M1911A1 CS feels stone stock. Took mine to the range last Monday. While I don't care for the slick grips, it isn't something I can't handle. I will say that none of my 1911s that I carry have stayed stock long. Hogue wraparound the front grips are one of the first things installed. Second is a Smith & Alexander arched MSH and magwell guide. As you said, go to a range and try out what you can. And if you ask, some owners will let you try theirs to get another 1911 fan.

As for your S&W 1911 E SC, it just about matches my Sig C3 Revolution. The Hogue grips and arched MSH/magwell guide tamed it right down.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    As for your S&W 1911 E SC, it just about matches my Sig C3 Revolution. The Hogue grips and arched MSH/magwell guide tamed it right down.
    Actually I do not have Hogue wrap around grips on my S&W1911E SC, but I do have them on the RIA 1911. The alligator skin style grips on the S&W work well, but it does bite a bit being lightweight. I really like the grips though, so I am not about to change them out. Hogue or Pachmayr grips do a good job though, I have a Hogue Tamer pistol grip on my Mossberg 12 gauge breacher, works like a dream. I'm a middleweight (in boxer terminology) 5'9" 160.

5. 1911

I decided on a Kimber & I'm leaning toward a Custom CDP2. 5" barrel. Aluminum frame & stainless slide. Does the ss matter for a normal use & will the aluminum hold up too lots of use. I want it for my main gun. Other pistol is a Super blackhawk .44 mag 7.5" a little large too carry. My Bersa .380 I gave too my wife. Too small for my hand

Quote Originally Posted by Papa grumpy View Post
    I decided on a Kimber & I'm leaning toward a Custom CDP2. 5" barrel. Aluminum frame & stainless slide. Does the ss matter for a normal use & will the aluminum hold up too lots of use. I want it for my main gun. Other pistol is a Super blackhawk .44 mag 7.5" a little large too carry. My Bersa .380 I gave too my wife. Too small for my hand
    No issues noted with Ultra Carry. It be a work horse.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

Actually I do not have Hogue wrap around grips on my S&W1911E SC
    Try 'em you'll like 'em.

1911-018.jpg
    America's Epitaph
    Since They Did Not See Fit To Acknowledge God, He Gave Them Over To A Depraved Mind, To Do What Should Not Be Done

Quote Originally Posted by gunnersmith View Post
    Been carrying an all stainless steel full size 1911in 45 acp for close to 20 years. It is my edc and IDPA competition pistol. Stainless is the ONLY way to go. Easy maintenance & cleaning. No worries of rusting, it does require minimal maintenance to prevent rusting. No real finish wear problems to speak of, minor holster wear is unavoidable. I would suggest looking at a Dan Wesson only production 1911 with NO M.I.M. parts. Then Springfield Armory Loaded, they do have M.I.M. small parts but good regardless. The Loaded versions have improvements that you WILL want after you start carrying and shooting a 1911. The Loadeds are the best bang for your money. While I carry a full size 1911, I also own,carry, & compete with a S/A Champion Loaded SS. My full size is a full blown custom 1911built to my specs. Oh yeah I'm 5'-8" & 250#, and have no issues concealing with an IWB holster, which is the best way to carry. For more 1911 carry info check out the 1911forum.com
    I carry a springfield loaded in Black Stainless. I love it. I never was worried about the reflective properties of ss in a cc weapon as it is concealed. And you are correct that it does have the upgrades that you would want to add. 1911 platform is perfect for concealed carry imo (with a good holster and belt): thin profile, full size, accurate, and heavy.... run out of bullets and you can throw it at your attacker's head and knock them out, worst case....

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Try 'em you'll like 'em.

1911-018.jpg
    And my Sig C3 as modified.1911-photo134.jpg
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Yep, those are the same Hogue grips; they're awesome. Here they are on my RIA Tactical.
    1911-ria1911a1.112611.jpg

As for Papa Grumpy picking a Kimber full size sounds good to me. I've heard the Ultra size (3" barrel) Kimber's sometimes have feed issues. I had a RaptorII Pro (4" barrel) and never had an issue with it. I like Kimber, Smith &Wesson, Springfield Armory . . and Rock Island.

Yep, those are the same Hogue grips; they're awesome. Here they are on my RIA Tactical.
    1911-ria1911a1.112611.jpg

As for Papa Grumpy picking a Kimber full size sounds good to me. I've heard the Ultra size (3" barrel) Kimber's sometimes have feed issues. I had a RaptorII Pro (4" barrel) and never had an issue with it. I like Kimber, Smith &Wesson, Springfield Armory . . and Rock Island.
    Not an issue with my Ultra, feeds great all JHP that I have bought or loaded.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast