Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911

1. 1911

I'm wanting a full size 1911 for a ED gun, conceal carry. I'm a big guy w/ big hands.
    Are aluminum frames ok? Or should I stick too steel? Is a stainless steel slide ok or is black better?
    Thanks y'all

1911 Springfield Armory MIL-SPEC is what I CC/OC. I'm have a bit girth, OK more just a bit, but it works for me. I would not, IMHO, have any shinny thing that is visible or eye catching in dark circumstances. Yes, they look pretty, some really marvel in bling, but a standard parkerized or fully blued would be MY suggestion. Others on this site my differ.

Welcome and NEVER leave home without it!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I'd go with an all stainless or stainless and alloy. In EDC, I tend to rust blued/parkerized guns. I've carried a Taurus PT-1911 in both finishes and currently carry a Sig C3 Revolution. BUG is an all stainless S&W 4006 in .40S&W. A Cerakoted/Nitron coated all stainless would be even better.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I'd go with an all stainless or stainless and alloy. In EDC, I tend to rust blued/parkerized guns. I've carried a Taurus PT-1911 in both finishes and currently carry a Sig C3 Revolution. BUG is an all stainless S&W 4006 in .40S&W. A Cerakoted/Nitron coated all stainless would be even better.
    You're not worried about the shine of SS? I only ask that in that .003 seconds if the BG sees a flash of steel if gives him an understanding that a BANG is shortly to follow. I,IMHO, would have him FEEL that a BANG just happened.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    You're not worried about the shine of SS? I only ask that in that .003 seconds if the BG sees a flash of steel if gives him an understanding that a BANG is shortly to follow. I,IMHO, would have him FEEL that a BANG just happened.
    Nope as it might just be the last thing they ever see. Bead blasted stainless is about as reflective as oiled parkerizing.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

I carry stainless (most of the time) for the same reason as S&W645....It is a matte finish so unless a direct light hits it, there is no shine...
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

K guys. Not saying I would CC/OC one but not saying all that do like SS is wrong. Carry what you want, but please just carry. GOD bless!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa grumpy View Post
    Are aluminum frames ok? Or should I stick too steel? Is a stainless steel slide ok or is black better?
    Personally, I prefer all steel firearms. I have an S&W 1911 E SC with a 4 1/4" barrel, the frame is Scandium. It weighs 29.6 ounces. I also have a RIA (Rock Island Armory) 3.5" barrel 1911 (steel frame), it weighs 34.5 ounces. The RIA is much more pleasurable regarding the felt recoil. I've also shot a Kimber PRO 4" barrel (steel frame) and Springfield 5" barrel (steel frame). The steel guns are more pleasurable to shoot, because they weigh more. The S&W isn't unbearable, but it certainly transfers more recoil. A replacement grip by Pachmayr or Hogue made of recoil absorbing rubber would help with recoil on the lighter alloy frame firearms (if it's an issue). The best thing you could do, go to a range where you can rent them and see the difference. Who knows, it may not matter to you. As for color, I prefer all black, but my S&W has the satin finish stainless slide (wanted black, out of stock at the time). All black is more stealth and better for carry. I bought the S&W because it has the bobbed heel, more comfortable to hold and having a 3/4" shorter barrel over a full size, it is easier to conceal carry. I personally do not find it a problem carrying 34 to 42 ounces (loaded weight) around all day, even using an IWB holster.
    Last edited by SmithKoWitz; 04-22-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: forgot a word describing the slide finish

Kimber CDP II from the custom shop for carry. Shoot what you carry often. The CDP II (I sold mine, cheaper than a divorce) is light and accurate. The CDP II comes in all sizes. I like the Eclipse stainless. The best groups I have shot have been with Kimbers. Go to the Kimber site and see what they have. The Ultra Carry I have is over ten years old and the gunsmith I visit checked it out last month and said a slight wear is present but not to worry. The Custom I have is a stout piece and I have yet to notice rust, but this is Arizona.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

11. Been carrying an all stainless steel full size 1911in 45 acp for close to 20 years. It is my edc and IDPA competition pistol. Stainless is the ONLY way to go. Easy maintenance & cleaning. No worries of rusting, it does require minimal maintenance to prevent rusting. No real finish wear problems to speak of, minor holster wear is unavoidable. I would suggest looking at a Dan Wesson only production 1911 with NO M.I.M. parts. Then Springfield Armory Loaded, they do have M.I.M. small parts but good regardless. The Loaded versions have improvements that you WILL want after you start carrying and shooting a 1911. The Loadeds are the best bang for your money. While I carry a full size 1911, I also own,carry, & compete with a S/A Champion Loaded SS. My full size is a full blown custom 1911built to my specs. Oh yeah I'm 5'-8" & 250#, and have no issues concealing with an IWB holster, which is the best way to carry. For more 1911 carry info check out the 1911forum.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast