Need help.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help.

Need help.

I'm trying to buy a kimber tactical custom ii as a new duty weapon online. I usually buy new but everywhere I've talked to says Kimber is 9-12 months out. I've never bought online and was wondering what the best way to do it is to avoid being ripped off. I live in WA and the two I'm looking at on Armslist are in WI and FL. Last I heard Paypal didn't allow firearm transactions and I have no desire to have them freeze $1000 of my cash. What are some other good escrow services to use? Any procedural advice?

I just received $1500 in a Postal MO for a FN that will ship tomorrow.

You do business with those you trust and pony up the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I'm trying to buy a kimber tactical custom ii as a new duty weapon online. I usually buy new but everywhere I've talked to says Kimber is 9-12 months out. I've never bought online and was wondering what the best way to do it is to avoid being ripped off. I live in WA and the two I'm looking at on Armslist are in WI and FL. Last I heard Paypal didn't allow firearm transactions and I have no desire to have them freeze $1000 of my cash. What are some other good escrow services to use? Any procedural advice?
    Prepaid credit card?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

What would be the difference of them holding a grand or you giving up a grand for the purchase. One way or the other this grand is going to leave you and you are going to get the gun you want. RIGHT?
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    What would be the difference of them holding a grand or you giving up a grand for the purchase. One way or the other this grand is going to leave you and you are going to get the gun you want. RIGHT?
    Not if PayPal freezes it. They have a bad habit of freezing all of the cash in your account for violations of their terms. In that case, I lose a grand and have to go through a lengthy appeals process and don't get crap in return.

Postal money order is the way to go or electronic funds transfer by POP systems. I've used both.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Postal money order is the way to go or electronic funds transfer by POP systems. I've used both.
    If I send him a PMO and then he never ships it, is there anyway to recoup the loss?

9. Most people don't accept paypal for firearms purchase, but if that's how they want paid, pay their paypal account with credit (get a prepaid if you have to) instead of a paypal account of your own. Then if paypal freezes the money it's on their end, and if your item doesn't get shipped you dispute the charge on the credit card.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    If I send him a PMO and then he never ships it, is there anyway to recoup the loss?
    You're going through FFLs, right? Have your FFL confirm your seller's FFL is in possession of the firearm before you send the PMO. Make PMO payable to his FFL. They can settle up between themselves right after your Kimber is shipped to your FFL.

If either of your prospective sellers are dealers (FFL themselves), buy from that one and eliminate one third-party FFL middleman. Otherwise, the only legal way is for seller and buyer to transact through FFL in their state, making it a four-party transaction. Cumbersome, but if the seller wants to sell and is willing to ship interstate, seems they would understand your security concerns and put both the money and the weapon through their FFL.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    You're going through FFLs, right? Have your FFL confirm your seller's FFL is in possession of the firearm before you send the PMO. Make PMO payable to his FFL. They can settle up between themselves right after your Kimber is shipped to your FFL.

If either of your prospective sellers are dealers (FFL themselves), buy from that one and eliminate one third-party FFL middleman. Otherwise, the only legal way is for seller and buyer to transact through FFL in their state, making it a four-party transaction. Cumbersome, but if the seller wants to sell and is willing to ship interstate, seems they would understand your security concerns and put both the money and the weapon through their FFL.

Blues
    Thanks for advice. And yes I'd prefer to go through FFLs on both ends. On top of the added confidence it should save money because, from what I understand FFL-FFL transactions can ship however they want but Private party-FFL must ship overnight.

One seller hasn't responded at all yet and I haven't heard back from the other one yet as to which FFL he uses. Neither one is a dealer themselves.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast