Which Weapon Is Right For YOU?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Weapon Is Right For YOU?

Which Weapon Is Right For YOU?

By EJ Owens

In this video from Tactical Home Defense, I go over several weapons-choices and the pros and cons of each. But here's something critical to remember... you must make your mind up BEFORE you find yourself face-to-face with a bad guy.

The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

3. The one I have in my hand when I need it... But yes, always good to plan that far ahead so you at least have something when you do need it.

4. Good points. My weapon of choice for home invasion/self defense? The MSR, EBR, AR, with proper ammo for it. Multiple armed home invader tool. The second choice? My wife. She is armed as well now. No kids at home, we have grand kids.

My wife thwarted a *possible* multiple intruder home invasion by slamming the door quickly. I had my sidearm. There were others in the van.

I felt nearly defenseless, if they should try to break-in. Thankfully, that didn't happen. They left quickly.

5 minutes after the incident, I took a trip and bought some hardware that was up to the job. My wife later purchased a sidearm. First time in her life. She was scared of firearms. I took her to the range twice to try out sidearms before she bought hers.

We discussed every possible break-in scenario, and tactics to counter. No more opening the door for strangers.

We prepared for encounters in darkness, using only weapon mounted lights. I have night vision target capability and light for my long gun. We have practiced front sight and point and shoot tactics.

I pray we never have to look evil in they eyes again, but if we do, we are somewhat prepared, and hopefully things will end in our favor.

Personally I think a hand gun is best in the home as it is easy to handle and maneuver. I have many placed through out the home that are easy to get to.

That being said I also have an AR and shotgun very available as well. JMAO!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

I did not find any inspiration from this video. I felt it was anti-bat, anti-knife and anti-gun. I felt he was making fun at people for wanting to defend themself and their family. I felt I was being talked down to. I kept waiting for something, but nothing happened. There was really no answer. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Danmc View Post
    I did not find any inspiration from this video. I felt it was anti-bat, anti-knife and anti-gun. I felt he was making fun at people for wanting to defend themself and their family. I felt I was being talked down to. I kept waiting for something, but nothing happened. There was really no answer. JMHO
    I think he should have prefaced what his purpose for the video was a little better. If he said "here are some pro's and con's for your possible defense plans and some things to consider" it would have been better.

I have one long hall in my house that runs straight from the front door about 60 feet back to the last bedroom. I have a shotgun (smooth bore) with rifled hollow point slugs in the BR and a 9mm sidearm.

Blog Entries
    I got a few. Mainly, I use a .40 with a mag full of safety slugs at night, hollow points during the day. But I do have a 12 ga security pump within a few inches of my head as well. The handgun allows for a faster rate of fire, and my favorite self defense tactic, bludgeoning. The 12 ga will block the stairway with bodies. My cat is the first sign something is wrong. He has reliably alerted me many times to activity by running past my face as he jumps off the bed. Usually he stops and waits for me in the hallway. Sometimes, when checking outdoors, he leads the way. When his tail is puffed up, I know something's wrong. Last time, it was a coyote trying to tip over the garbage can. I wouldn't have known to look that way if it wasn't for Buddy.

One thing to remember is that the sound of a shot shell being racked is universally understood. In CG LE we teach that it is actually a level of "use of force" right up there with a warning shot.

I understand what you are saying but in my humble opinion it is better to already have a round in the chamber. With the first shot being the deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    One thing to remember is that the sound of a shot shell being racked is universally understood. In CG LE we teach that it is actually a level of "use of force" right up there with a warning shot.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    I understand what you are saying but in my humble opinion it is better to already have a round in the chamber. With the first shot being the deterrent.
    My intent is to protect myself and my family. If I have a shotgun in my hand, then the attacker is far enough away that racking a round in might give him a moment of pause. If he's close enough that I need to get a shot off NOW, it would be several with my sidearm.
    Chief

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast