What do you do with your carry-gun when...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your carry-gun when...

1. What do you do with your carry-gun when...

I have been carrying off and on both OC and CC for three years now (Colorado baby!). About a year ago I changed my off-n-on habit to carry ALL waking hours, no matter the extra work required to do so. I figure there is no use having a handgun if it is not on your belt, right? Since then I have been running into some snags in my plan. I know these may sound like silly questions, but what do you guys do with your carry-gun when...

- I once took my gun off my belt to drop my drawers to use the toilet. I finished my business and promptly forgot my gun when I left the stall! (I know right! ). I was lucky that no one else came into the restroom after so I was able to retrieve it without anyone else knowing. So, now I leave it holstered and on my belt no matter what. But, what do you guys do with your gun when going #2 in a public restroom?

- I workout at my local gym 5 days a week. I wear shorts that will not hold the weight of my full-size M&P so it stays in a locker (locked of course). I do not like leaving it there, but I feel it is safer in a locker then in my car outside. Mainly I feel completely exposed though. What do you guys do with your gun when you workout at a gym?

- I drive two different vehicles. One is a large van, easy to carry while driving. The other is a very small sports car with wrap-around seats and seating posture that make it very difficult to have something on my belt. Even a cell-phone is uncomfortable, let alone a full-size pistol.

- What about when you get home? Do you let your guard down and un-holster once you are in your own home?

- Lastly, when I enter a friend's house that I have not yet asked his permission to carry in his house, I leave my gun locked in the car. We are talking about another person's house with wife and kids in play. Am I being too nice here? Should I announce it before entering his residence if I am carrying?

Thanks, and feel free to have some fun with the discussion, but please do not beat me up too badly for my bathroom mistake. I already have.

Plan your travel accordingly. If ya can't think ahead of what you're doing. I would plan to leave your weapon home. Smells of troll but I could be wrong.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

1) I can't help you on the public rest room. I try to avoid using them.

2) Too many people I know have had stuff stolen out of locked lockers. I'd rather leave it locked in the glove compartment of a locked car with the alarm on, then leave it in a locker.

3) Send me the sports car and I'll investigate a solution. Might take a few years.

4) Should probably carry in the house, but don't. Doors stay locked when I'm home. If someone started on the door I'd be armed within a few seconds.

5) In my state, we're considered vampires. You have to ask permission to enter. But if that wasn't the case I'd probably go by the don't ask, don't tell. Check your laws. And make sure they're not wearing crucifixes or garlic around their neck.
    You can have good intentions and not be right.

When going #2 I abide by the advice my Mom (NOT my Dad!) gave me when she said.......... "Keep it in your pants!" So when I must use the restroom for #2 I just unholster and set the gun in my pants between my legs. It is quite safe and there is no way I'll forget it.

I do NOT disarm when I get home.. I also do NOT assume no one got into my house while I was gone so I clear my house before relaxing. Yeah, lots of folks will say ordinary people should never clear their house but my neighbor, the Police Chief, would get rather pissed if I expected him to do it just because I got home from the restaurant, movies, or shopping.

Just curious..... do YOU just walk into your house dumb and happy?

I don't have any friends who object to my openly carried sidearm. Those who object suddenly are not my "friends" any longer. Hell... even my neighbors don't object when we visit them. But that is just me..........

6. Here's my take on your questions, many of which are from personal experience:
    1) Put it in your pants. Like Bikenut said, place it in the crotch of your pants when you sit down and you'll never forget it.
    2) I never bring mine into the gym, I lock it in my truck. I also have a console vault in my truck so it is a lot easier and safer to lock in my vehicle compared to a gym locker.
    3) mount a universal holster next to the seat of your vehicle or in a comfortable place in the vehicle. in my truck, I have a universal holster mounted on the side of my console so I can stick any of my .45's in it and they all fit snugly while driving. whenever I drive my wife's vehicle, I will take the holster for my weapon (Paddle holster) and stick it between the seat and console in her vehicle and it wedges itself perfectly in there, no movement and the weapon is secure and easy to access.
    4) I'm sitting in my recliner, typing this with my Springfield nestled in my waistband
    5) All my friends carry as well, so it would be weird if I didn't have my gun on me. Ask your friends the question if they care about you carrying into their house. it is their "castle", respect their domain. doesn't hurt to ask, worse they can tell you is NO. plus, it is better to ask ahead of time rather than getting into an argument later about you carrying a weapon into their house...

What do you do with your carry-gun when...

Weren't these all questions answered in a cc class or NRA basic course? How about just common sense?

8. You are so welcoming.

No, my 8 hour basic class did not discuss sports cars, bathrooms, or gyms. It was pretty much only about safety and legalities.

I figured "common sense" would be to discuss it with more experienced folks. Funny how a forum works...

Thank you to everyone else though.

Quote Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
    I have been carrying off and on both OC and CC for three years now (Colorado baby!). About a year ago I changed my off-n-on habit to carry ALL waking hours, no matter the extra work required to do so. I figure there is no use having a handgun if it is not on your belt, right? Since then I have been running into some snags in my plan. I know these may sound like silly questions, but what do you guys do with your carry-gun when...

- I once took my gun off my belt to drop my drawers to use the toilet. I finished my business and promptly forgot my gun when I left the stall! (I know right! ). I was lucky that no one else came into the restroom after so I was able to retrieve it without anyone else knowing. So, now I leave it holstered and on my belt no matter what. But, what do you guys do with your gun when going #2 in a public restroom?

- I workout at my local gym 5 days a week. I wear shorts that will not hold the weight of my full-size M&P so it stays in a locker (locked of course). I do not like leaving it there, but I feel it is safer in a locker then in my car outside. Mainly I feel completely exposed though. What do you guys do with your gun when you workout at a gym?

- I drive two different vehicles. One is a large van, easy to carry while driving. The other is a very small sports car with wrap-around seats and seating posture that make it very difficult to have something on my belt. Even a cell-phone is uncomfortable, let alone a full-size pistol.

- What about when you get home? Do you let your guard down and un-holster once you are in your own home?

- Lastly, when I enter a friend's house that I have not yet asked his permission to carry in his house, I leave my gun locked in the car. We are talking about another person's house with wife and kids in play. Am I being too nice here? Should I announce it before entering his residence if I am carrying?

Thanks, and feel free to have some fun with the discussion, but please do not beat me up too badly for my bathroom mistake. I already have.
    Take your firearm and wrap the toilet paper around the barrel and grip. Then use it to help wipe.

When I work out it goes in my locker.

When I get home it stays on me.

When you go to a friend's house, keep your gun on you. You dont need permission, otherwise you should find a new friend.

1] Also just set it in my pants so I can't forget it. But only public rest room I use is at work, so not real concerned.

2] Local gym I use is in my heated garage so can't help you there.

3] I carry the same way in all my vehicles, but only have full size or ride my motorcycle. If I am carrying, it is in the same position.

4] When I get home I do put it in the drawer where I always keep it so I can play with my granddaughter. But I wouldn't say I let my guard down, if my dogs aren't where they should be, then I would be worried. But since the dogs protect the family well, thinking I will keep relying on them to alert me to problems. THey won't let a stranger near the granddaughter so good there.

5] Also have friends that carry so not a big deal. My family all carry as well so good there.

1. Poop at home.
    2. Gym? What is that?
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast