Can you paint a rifle bolt?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you paint a rifle bolt?

1. Can you paint a rifle bolt?

I posted this in the long gun forum but I'm kinda wanting to do this today if I can...I've got a Remington 700 with a HS stock that's olive with web. I'm wanting to match the bolt with the stock since it's the only thing left on the rifle that's black. I'm only wanting to paint the round portion that is visible when the bolt is closed. Will that cause any problems as far as the functioning of the bolt?

If it jams you will know first shot...You can always remove the paint...I would think one layer would not cause an issue, but I have never tried this so others may be a better source of information.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Can you paint a rifle bolt?

I would definitely use duracoat or cerakote there instead of a paint like krylon or something. Paint will peel off and gum up the action with the bolt cycling. You'd need some kind of ceramic enamel that won't be affected by heat or light friction.

5. Why not just "black" blue it? see link in body of reply...

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I posted this in the long gun forum but I'm kinda wanting to do this today if I can...I've got a Remington 700 with a HS stock that's olive with web. I'm wanting to match the bolt with the stock since it's the only thing left on the rifle that's black. I'm only wanting to paint the round portion that is visible when the bolt is closed. Will that cause any problems as far as the functioning of the bolt?
    Blue Wonder Gun Black Cold Black 2oz Kit

6. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I would definitely use duracoat or cerakote there instead of a paint like krylon or something. Paint will peel off and gum up the action with the bolt cycling. You'd need some kind of ceramic enamel that won't be affected by heat or light friction.
    Makes sense.

15 character strikes again

What he said. Cerakote in MHO is better than Duracoat because it is harder and will not scratch as easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

8. Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    What he said. Cerakote in MHO is better than Duracoat because it is harder and will not scratch as easy.

Are they made by the same people? I have a buddy who does duracoat but I don't think he gets cerakote.

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post

Are they made by the same people? I have a buddy who does duracoat but I don't think he gets cerakote.
    No, two different companies. I think quality wise they're about the same as long as whoever applies it knows what they're doing. With enamels like that surface prep and proper application is 90% of the quality.

10. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post

No, two different companies. I think quality wise they're about the same as long as whoever applies it knows what they're doing. With enamels like that surface prep and proper application is 90% of the quality.
    Yeah most of his work is in pep.

Have a friend in Pickens that does the duracoat. he did some work on the pistols of the Easley, PD if you need someone.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast