ATF Alert: gunsmiths may be considered manufacturer now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATF Alert: gunsmiths may be considered manufacturer now

ATF Alert: gunsmiths may be considered manufacturer now

ATF changes rules

PDF file downloadable from
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms...f-firearms.pdf

#10 A gunsmith buys government model pistols and installs "drop-in" precision trigger parts or other "drop-in parts" for the purpose of resale.

This would be considered the manufacturing of firearms, as the gunsmith is purchasing the firearms, modifying the firearms, and selling them. The gunsmith should be licensed as a manufacturer.

9. A gunsmith buys semiautomatic pistols and modifies the slides to
    accept a new style of sights. The sights are not usually sold with these
    firearms and do not attach to the existing mounting openings. The gunsmith
    offers these firearms for sale.

This would be considered the manufacturing of firearms, and the gunsmith
    should be licensed as a manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure that the BATFE is doing this to discourage additional people from getting into the gunsmithing business.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the BATFE is doing this to discourage additional people from getting into the gunsmithing business.
    or penalize those that don't buy a manufacturers license

its all about the revenues

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post

Of course. Doesn't this sound like something that the Demo(c)rats in your home state of the PRTA (People's Republic of Taxachussetts) would have dreamed up? I can just see them now thinking, "Darn, why didn't we think of that!"

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with revenue --- the money from licenses doesn't even show upin the roundoff in the federal budget. No, it has to do with tightening the screws to drive more people out of the firearms business. There are several ways to get gun control: try to take them away by law and you run up against that blasted Constitution thing. So as a constitutionally acceptable alternative drive the manufacturers, gunsmiths and gun shops out of business. Redefine types of weapons out of existence. Control the manufacture and distribution of ammunition. At the end of it peoples' guns are just paperweights.

I think you will find that the kind of people who are attracted to jobs at BATFE are similar to the people who take jobs at EPA. Unlike the people who go to work at agencies like FAA where most people are genuinely interested in aviation, the EPA/BATFE (and others) types are people who are interested in control and using their agency jobs to "change society" to something they think it ought to be.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsteele View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with revenue --- the money from licenses doesn't even show upin the roundoff in the federal budget. No, it has to do with tightening the screws to drive more people out of the firearms business. There are several ways to get gun control: try to take them away by law and you run up against that blasted Constitution thing. So as a constitutionally acceptable alternative drive the manufacturers, gunsmiths and gun shops out of business. Redefine types of weapons out of existence. Control the manufacture and distribution of ammunition. At the end of it peoples' guns are just paperweights.

I think you will find that the kind of people who are attracted to jobs at BATFE are similar to the people who take jobs at EPA. Unlike the people who go to work at agencies like FAA where most people are genuinely interested in aviation, the EPA/BATFE (and others) types are people who are interested in control and using their agency jobs to "change society" to something they think it ought to be.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Us surfs should not be allowed to own guns and anything that can be done to limit the availability will be used.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Exclamation Talk about some mess

This thing stinks to high heaven.
    I can understand MFG a receiver; assembling a gun or guns from parts not previously joined together, But changing a stock or drilling and tapping scope mounts???? Adding aftermarket sights to a pistol??? These things do not affect the form fit and function of a weapon from the original intent. If I reblue an old gun to restore it, I could be considered as MFG a firearm according to this "memo"

Contact your congressman and lets get this thing fixed.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I don't liket the sound of this at all. I already informed the owner of my shop about this.

So I bought a stripped lower AR 15 receiver then, as I had the money, assembled it piece by piece. Does this mean I need a manufactures license? I mean I have not sold it but I might one day.
    Last edited by KimberPB; 08-18-2008 at 04:14 PM.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast