Rechargeable batteries for weapon light? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rechargeable batteries for weapon light?

Rechargeable batteries are good if you use the light every day and can have another set charging which you can swap out when one set runs down. If you rarely use this light stick with the cr123's. They will hold their charge for years and always be ready when you need it. Look for bulk deals on EBAY. You can buy them in sets of 40, 50 or even 100. I have purchased many different brands and all of them seem to be just as good as the surefire brand batteries. The last case I bought I paid about .80 cents per battery. That's real cheap when compared to Wally World prices which are about 5.00 bucks per battery. The price on these batteries has gone up of the last couple of months probably due to the increase in guns and ammo purchases. Just about every flashlight I have uses these batteries which is why I buy them in bulk.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

3. I agree. Primary batteries are a heckuva deal if you are not using the lights a lot. I believe some of the newer rechargeable batteries retain 85 to 90 percent charge after a year of non-use, they are expensive.

I do use rechargeable 38650s (I hope that is right numerically) in my chinese high powered flashlights, with care. They are the laptop cell batteries with protection.

Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    I agree. Primary batteries are a heckuva deal if you are not using the lights a lot. I believe some of the newer rechargeable batteries retain 85 to 90 percent charge after a year of non-use, they are expensive.

I do use rechargeable 38650s (I hope that is right numerically) in my chinese high powered flashlights, with care. They are the laptop cell batteries with protection.
    17650 actually. Those are the ones that are the same diameter as cr123s but twice the length so you only need one for a standard 2 battery flashlight.

I can put cheap ammo in my firearm and it will most likely go through without a hitch... but ummmm, why would I risk it. ;)

I think you are making a good decision to just buy new. I too have a high lumen output flashlight that uses CR123. I buy a dozen batteries at a time and don't go through them very fast, but they have a long shelf life. Keep unused batteries in a cool place like a refrigerator and they last longer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Rechargeable batteries for weapon light?

I the only reason I use rechargeables is because I'm an armed security patrol officer, graveyard shift so I use mine extensively every night. I was going through a pair of CR123s every 8-9 days which wasn't working for me.

I agree with buying bulk of non-rechargeable if you dont use them all the time. I use li-ion 18650 batteries at work and they are good. Always a risk involved though.
    -Austin

Yep, I just buy them in bulk. You can find them on Amazon, batteries dot com etc etc etc. I don't use mine enough to use rechargeables.

Rechargeable batteries loose their charge just sitting, up to 1% of the charge per day.

Surefire CR123 batteries have excellent life, and shelf life. Due to the construction of my house, most of the alarm sensors are wireless and are powered by these batteries. In 11 years, I've replaced them only twice.

Shop online and you can find much better pricing than a hardware store or battery specialty retail store.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

I agree that rechargeables in a daily used (or nightly rather) flashlight is a smart idea. But on a weapon light? Unless you practice alot, or have to point your weapon alot at everything you want to light up, I'd stick with the new ones. They have a shelf life of 10 years and I only point my weapon when I'm seriously threatened by something. I have the TLR-2 which is similar to the TLR-1 but with a laser, and even with much use at first getting them sighted in they are still extremely strong.

Of course, my light is only used on my nightstand firearm, and is only for bump in the night issues. If yours is being used alot, it may be worth it. But I'd hate to have them and need them and they start to go downhill. Those batteries aren't the easiest thing to swap out in the dark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12