Rechargeable batteries for weapon light?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rechargeable batteries for weapon light?

1. Rechargeable batteries for weapon light?

I've got a streamlight TLR-1 HL and it came with CR123A batteries and a little slip of paper saying to only use either their brand or Energizer or Duracell or some other name brand. However I was wanting to find a set of rechargeable batteries to use instead. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on if this would cause issues or mess up the light?

I think they do this because they are paid some stipend by the particular battery companies. It's your light because you paid for it. I'd put what I wanted in it, if it were mine.
    Of course, I've never even seen the light you named, so I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.
    The truth about the former Republic of the United States of America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioz...ayer_embedded#

4. There are rechargeable lithium ion batteries (CR-123), but unprotected (non current limited) cells are very dangerous when used in multi-cell applications, if one of the batteries is old, or defective, leaving the fresh cell to lead the pack and deliver dangerous current which may result in an explosion.

I've used rechargeable lithium-ion cells for RC, imported flashlights (Chinese, which use the same cells used in laptops), and they are fantastic for the energy they deliver, but have to be recharged with care (balanced, in multiple cell applications). They become unstable if discharged beyond a certain point as well, and the same applies to overcharging. Smart chargers are a must!

Just do a search on CR123 rechargeable batteries. I only use primary cell CR123s, for most of my weapon light applications, because the lights are very rarely used.

Again, please find protected rechargeable CR123 batteries, if they are available, if that is what you want.

You might want to do a search on rechargeable lithium ion explosions and fires, to get a feel for the danger and risk involved.

5. Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    There are rechargeable lithium ion batteries (CR-123), but unprotected (non current limited) cells are very dangerous when used in multi-cell applications, if one of the batteries is old, or defective, leaving the fresh cell to lead the pack and deliver dangerous current which may result in an explosion.

I've used rechargeable lithium-ion cells for RC, imported flashlights (Chinese, which use the same cells used in laptops), and they are fantastic for the energy they deliver, but have to be recharged with care (balanced, in multiple cell applications). They become unstable if discharged beyond a certain point as well, and the same applies to overcharging. Smart chargers are a must!

Just do a search on CR123 rechargeable batteries. I only use primary cell CR123s, for most of my weapon light applications, because the lights are very rarely used.

Again, please find protected rechargeable CR123 batteries, if they are available, if that is what you want.

You might want to do a search on rechargeable lithium ion explosions and fires, to get a feel for the danger and risk involved.
    Sounds like more trouble than it's worth for what little it gets used.

Check this. I buy several boxs at least every year.
    Cheapest price I have found for a dozen of good batteries.
    Surefire lights are too expensive to ruin with bad batteries.
    Anyway try this link. The third item is rechargeable.
    Never tried them myself.
    Battery / Charger Products

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Check this. I buy several boxs at least every year.
    Cheapest price I have found for a dozen of good batteries.
    Surefire lights are too expensive to ruin with bad batteries.
    Anyway try this link. The third item is rechargeable.
    Never tried them myself.
    Battery / Charger Products
    So you think the surefire rechargeable batteries would be safe? Cause they're about he same price as 6 sets of the streamlight batteries, so it would be worth it over time.

I would trust Surefire on about anything.
    I have had some of there tactical lights for many years
    And no problems at all. Some take 6 batteries.
    Only reservation I would have is how long will they discharge
    before needing recharge. Most rechargeable I have tried in
    other things do not last near as long. That's one reason I just
    find the best bulk price for batteries I need. I do keep a stock
    of other size batteries and solar chargers just in case.
    I use the cr123 in several wireless security systems and change
    the batteries every year But have tested a few and let them run
    until the system indicates a low battery. That is usually around
    3 years. If it's something I don't use very much like the tactical
    lights I only am concerned with one leaking and ruining a light.
    I have tested a few with a VOM after 3 years and there still near
    full charge.

Rechargeable batteries for weapon light?

I bought off brand rechargeables at Batteries Plus for my surefire G2X and they work just fine. Battery life is less than with disposable but they definitely save money in the long run. It will void your warranty because of the possibility of leakage so it's kinda luck of the draw with off brand rechargeables.

10. Rechargeable batteries for weapon light?

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm just going to buy a bulk amount of regulars and stick with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast