Damn it all to hell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn it all to hell

Damn it all to hell

I like my XDm's... both are 3.8" compacts, one in .45ACP and one in 9mm. I shoot both fairly well. I carry +P HST ammo in both, and both are comfortable and manageable in my hands. These have been my carry firearms (easy because my Old Faithful IWB works for both).

Until today. Shot my newly acquired Ruger SR9c (new to me... used and acquired in a trade), and damn if I wasn't drilling the bullseye over and over again. Gun seemed to feel better in my hands. Drawing from my IWB, felt that I could get my grip correct and sights on target more quickly and more easily and more reliably. Definitely feel as though there is more felt recoil than the XDm (but it is a lighter slide).

That being said... in my 2+1 drills (two COM and one to the head), I was still shooting my XDm better. Perhaps it was the easier recoil allowing for more accurate and quick follow-up shots, I don't know.

Here's the question... choose the one that seems to be more accurate in my hands when aiming at a bullseye and not concentrating on speed or follow-up shots? Or the one that I can get on target with accurate hits in a "situation"?

Funny how those drills will make you realize how a smaller hole to a vital organ is more important than a bigger hole that missed.

Wish ammo wasn't such a bear to find... I haven't gone out shooting in a while, and damn it felt good. Need to put some lead down range side-by-side and ultimately decide which one I perform better with.
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    I like my XDm's... both are 3.8" compacts, one in .45ACP and one in 9mm. I shoot both fairly well. I carry +P HST ammo in both, and both are comfortable and manageable in my hands. These have been my carry firearms (easy because my Old Faithful IWB works for both).

Until today. Shot my newly acquired Ruger SR9c (new to me... used and acquired in a trade), and damn if I wasn't drilling the bullseye over and over again. Gun seemed to feel better in my hands. Drawing from my IWB, felt that I could get my grip correct and sights on target more quickly and more easily and more reliably. Definitely feel as though there is more felt recoil than the XDm (but it is a lighter slide).

That being said... in my 2+1 drills (two COM and one to the head), I was still shooting my XDm better. Perhaps it was the easier recoil allowing for more accurate and quick follow-up shots, I don't know.

Here's the question... choose the one that seems to be more accurate in my hands when aiming at a bullseye and not concentrating on speed or follow-up shots? Or the one that I can get on target with accurate hits in a "situation"?

Funny how those drills will make you realize how a smaller hole to a vital organ is more important than a bigger hole that missed.

Wish ammo wasn't such a bear to find... I haven't gone out shooting in a while, and damn it felt good. Need to put some lead down range side-by-side and ultimately decide which one I perform better with.
    The one you can put the rounds into the target in the least amount of time is the one to carry. And if it is .45ACP vs 9mm, I'd go with the .45ACP.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Damn it all to hell

Hit head with every shot with the 9mm. Missed once with 45ACP. COM shots were grouped better with 9mm, too. Again, things that practice could probably improve on, but ammo availability and pricing sux right now. 9mm it is... for now.
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

If you really want to be annoyed, fire a Boberg. Currently 9mm only (real small and a bit larger versions available), but something larger caliber soon. Handles heavy loads and has excellent accuracy. More energy at the muzzle than other comparable size guns (see web site to understand why). Very low recoil contributes to serious multi-shot accuracy.

Once youve tried Boberg; you won't go back. No - I am not affiliated, but I have some of them. An amazing piece of machinery. Pricy, but unlike anything you have used.

Personally, I would carry the one that you can hit the ocular cavity with quickly after two to COM failed. Reasoning is you've really poked the bear at this point and need to put the bear down. If you can't get the ocular cavity shot down quickly after the first two, you may not have a chance to.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Just go straight COM and unload all 16 rounds (if that's what it takes).

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post

Yeah, that works great most of the time, but what if the the shots to COM didn't work because the BG is wearing an armored vest?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post

Yeah, that works great most of the time, but what if the the shots to COM didn't work because the BG is wearing an armored vest?
    You ever been shot wearing an "armored" vest? Unless that vest is made out of AR500 you're going to feel everyone and 16 COM is definitely going to put you on the ground. Some would even most likely penetrate. Vests aren't made to take more than one or two shots to the same area.

For SD either. If you are going to a competition, take the one that gives you a group in the bulls eye.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    The chances of that are slim to none. If that be the case though, just aim higher or take them out at the knees! I don't think they are going to be very "happy" to get 16 rounds of .40 cal center mass!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast