Publicity stunt triggers active shooter response - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Publicity stunt triggers active shooter response

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    Open carrying into a theater where legal and walking in in full tac gear, with an M4 style rifle post aurora are 2 different things. As I stated I'd probably have shot him, all depending on the actions he took with the firearm. He'd at least have gotten drawn down on. Anyone would be completely justified in shooting him. The article made it sound like he had the rifle at a low ready. That's different than a holstered weapon openly carried on someone's side.
    How would you know he isn't SWAT? Did anyone notice there were others in Police looking outfits? How about that there were other costumes there like Iron Man? How about looking at the scene in it's entirety and observing first before just drawing on somebody in TAC gear? Like my first question, "how would you know he isn't SWAT?" It isn't typically emblazoned on their chest, and not always on their back either....
    Observe, then react if necessary. It's not "React then observe". If you would have shot him without just cause (ie no threat of deadly action by him), you would have gone to jail. A rifle at someones personal opinion of low ready is not justifiable defense. just sayin, you are entitled to your opinion as I am too.

Not the smartest move me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by AZSDFT View Post
    How would you know he isn't SWAT? Did anyone notice there were others in Police looking outfits? How about that there were other costumes there like Iron Man? How about looking at the scene in it's entirety and observing first before just drawing on somebody in TAC gear? Like my first question, "how would you know he isn't SWAT?" It isn't typically emblazoned on their chest, and not always on their back either....
    Observe, then react if necessary. It's not "React then observe". If you would have shot him without just cause (ie no threat of deadly action by him), you would have gone to jail. A rifle at someones personal opinion of low ready is not justifiable defense. just sayin, you are entitled to your opinion as I am too.
    A little bit too much caffeine there! Slow down.
    Did you even read the OP or view the video of the event?
    Nobody else was walking around in a costume.
    Just one very bad actor who will definitely be careful choosing his next gig.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Greggatshack View Post
    So if a citizen open carries in that state he can expect to be shot or drawn down on?

At least one group of people on these forums is of the opinion that US citizens should be at liberty to carry firearms in full view where they like. (I happen to share that opinion.) What was it about this person's manner that means it is ok for people to panic and call the cops? Was it that he was wearing scary, black clothing? Was he "brandishing" the mock firearms in a threatening manner? Perhaps he was pointing them in the air and saying "bang, bang".
    You a troll or retard?
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

Quote Originally Posted by AZSDFT View Post
    SWAT never comes in alone?
    SWAT never comes in without giving orders/directions/instructions?

It was an egregiously foolish act.

Here's the thing, you might not "know" so why take the chance? Why assume things are not as they appear?
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

7. My question is has the manager who came up with this stunt been fired. As to whether or not the actor should have been shot that would depend on his actions but post Aurora I would bet people were thinking about it whether armed or not. Did this tie into the feature being played on that screen? I might not have instantly opened fire but I guarantee that if I had a sidearm on in that theater I would be looking around for others who might be with him, paths out of the theater and yes, checking that my gun was ready if the need arose.

I feel a lot of gut level responses to this story but there is really too little there in terms of specifics and details for me to really opine other than to say it seems like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    A little bit too much caffeine there! Slow down.
    Did you even read the OP or view the video of the event?
    Nobody else was walking around in a costume.
    Just one very bad actor who will definitely be careful choosing his next gig.

Sent from behind enemy lines.
    Well, I hate to break your heart, but the article I read before this ever got posted here was that there WERE others in costume, which is why I stand by my questions. No caffeine involved.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/379...to-movie-house
    Last edited by AZSDFT; 05-11-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: misspell

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Gotta admit, you do have a point. But given the current circumstances, it isn't surprising that some people would call the cops.
    Thanks, Rhino. I prefer your way of answering the question I posed (unlike someone who would rather ask if I was a troll or a retard.)

I agree that knowing your country's current situation it would be understandable if some people were twitchy about seeing armed strangers in this scenario. On the other hand I thought it was the view of many on these forums that normalizing guns in society was a healthier way to go. That it is the very fact that too many people are so unused to seeing guns carried by citizens that is causing panic when they do. It is my view, borne out by anecdotal evidence, that in the states where open carry is normal, gun crime is low. It is logical to me that this would be the case. I would argue that if there were no "gun free zones" then there would be fewer mass shootings.

My post was partly to question the wisdom of those that are supposedly enlightened on this forum (and that I would assume have CCW permits), in making bold statements that they would draw down on or even shoot a person like the actor in the story, who was dressed in black and carrying a supposed firearm. It would appear that those in the crowd who were carrying concealed had not felt threatened enough to draw their firearms. Perhaps the calls to the police came from unarmed people, possibly the sort of people oft criticized in the forum for their desire for a gun free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallstones View Post
    You a troll or retard?
    Well I'm not going to engage in a stupid name-calling session. I responded once in like form and got warned by Luke. I attempt to express my real views and whether you agree with them or not, I do not deserve to put up with aspersions against my character.

ok here again Guns good for Hollywood and promotion of their monetary interest. Bad Bad Bad for self protecion and armed responsible citizens1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast