Publicity stunt triggers active shooter response - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Publicity stunt triggers active shooter response

Quote Originally Posted by Greggatshack View Post
    So if a citizen open carries in that state he can expect to be shot or drawn down on?

At least one group of people on these forums is of the opinion that US citizens should be at liberty to carry firearms in full view where they like. (I happen to share that opinion.) What was it about this person's manner that means it is ok for people to panic and call the cops? Was it that he was wearing scary, black clothing? Was he "brandishing" the mock firearms in a threatening manner? Perhaps he was pointing them in the air and saying "bang, bang".
    Please note, Most law abiding people under open carry do not handle their sidearms in any way excluding self defense or defense of other unarmed people. Any one with weapon in hand can , easily, be deemed aggressive.

3. Publicity stunt triggers active shooter response

Well in order to claim self defense, I have always been taught that you must prove that a REASONABLE person would be in fear for their life. Post-Aurora/Sandy Hook, hell yes I think anyone would have been justified in shooting him.

The interesting thing to think about is how the anti-gunners are probably going to use this somehow to promote their agendas, saying it just goes to show how irresponsible and evil even fake guns are. Had someone have shot him though, he would have been the poor innocent actor who was shot by an irresponsible and evil gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by AZSDFT View Post
    Well, I hate to break your heart, but the article I read before this ever got posted here was that there WERE others in costume, which is why I stand by my questions. No caffeine involved.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/379...to-movie-house
    I do apologize. I was only going on the OP's article and video.
    I stand corrected.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"
    I'll bet my mortgage that the morons behind this asinine stunt are all registered Democrats.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    I'll bet my mortgage that the morons behind this asinine stunt are all registered Democrats.
    That is one bet that I will not take because I they are lib-o-rats for sure!!!!

Hello, police can you please send a body car, and pass the popcorn.

Very poor judgement on their part in my opinion. To me, it's about situational awareness. If I am there and see someone open carry minding their own business, it's all good. If I see someone with a pistol in hand, a rifle, or a shot gun, they will have my undivided attention as they will determine what happens next.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

If you see something, say something and some did, what is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AZSDFT View Post
    How would you know he isn't SWAT? Did anyone notice there were others in Police looking outfits? How about that there were other costumes there like Iron Man? How about looking at the scene in it's entirety and observing first before just drawing on somebody in TAC gear? Like my first question, "how would you know he isn't SWAT?" It isn't typically emblazoned on their chest, and not always on their back either....
    Observe, then react if necessary. It's not "React then observe". If you would have shot him without just cause (ie no threat of deadly action by him), you would have gone to jail. A rifle at someones personal opinion of low ready is not justifiable defense. just sayin, you are entitled to your opinion as I am too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallstones View Post
    SWAT never comes in alone?
    SWAT never comes in without giving orders/directions/instructions?

It was an egregiously foolish act.

Here's the thing, you might not "know" so why take the chance? Why assume things are not as they appear?

The authorities are telling everyone; "it you see something, say something". They would rather respond to nothing than to respond and be too late to help or stop something.
    Do some of us think that they (some movie goers) may have over reacted, maybe. But we were not there we don't really know what was REALLY going on first hand. Arm chair quarterbacking this will not change the fact that the authorities were glad someone called and were glad to respond. They just were NOT happy with the theater for staging the stunt without notification, had they the authorities could have stationed a car on the lot to ease any and all worries by moive goers.
    That said I believe that cooler heads would NOT have staged something of this nature unannouced, blind. You can see what could happen and it could have been worse.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Has anyone noticed the color on the muzzles of the rifles? Granted, the pistols don't have the orange tip, but the rifles do. Go back to my last post with the link to a picture and look at the rifles. This is one of the problems with people posting via emotions rather than facts. We need to make sure we have all the facts before we go off on these posts, but unfortunately, as it is, we don't. All these comments about "I'd have shot him straight up" or how stupid can these people be for doing a stunt like this..... we are no better than the other side of the "Control debate". Now that there is a picture of the GROUP OF ACTORS at the actual event, and we can see the "rifles" used are marked with the "Safety Orange" tips on the muzzle, would you REALLY have shot without thinking about what's going on? YES I agree the management needed to seriously consider the result of this promotion, yes the management should have had a large notice posted that the actors are roll playing, and maybe the actors should have all stayed together, and stayed in a particular area. It would help too if more people were better informed about firearms and actually LOOKED at the rifles instead of glance and panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasraa View Post
    Please note, Most law abiding people under open carry do not handle their sidearms in any way excluding self defense or defense of other unarmed people. Any one with weapon in hand can , easily, be deemed aggressive.
    Really? ANYONE? (LEO EXCLUDED of course) You walk into a gas station, and see me with my firearm drawn, you will shoot me before you find out that I have a criminal you can't see on the ground in an isle? But in your first statement, what you said contradicts your second sentence. So which is it?

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you must be extremely sure of what you are doing when carrying a firearm. You have just taken on ten times more responsibility than the average citizen, and better be DAMN sure you are keenly aware of what is what, and whether or not you need to draw, let alone pull the trigger.

Please understand, I do not condem you for your opinion or what you have posted, I just want to understand what you are trying to say as well as add some clarification about what it means to carry a firearm for self defense, either OC or CCW.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast