Publicity stunt triggers active shooter response - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Publicity stunt triggers active shooter response

Quote Originally Posted by AZSDFT View Post
    Has anyone noticed the color on the muzzles of the rifles? Granted, the pistols don't have the orange tip, but the rifles do.
    None of them look like they'd pass the physical for SHIELD agents either.

They don't really look the part. I wouldn't simply assume them as actors in the role if I encountered one of them, say...., in the parking lot on the way in. I likely wouldn't necessarily consider them a threat either, but I can easily see how the uninitiated might. I think the article I initially posted made it sound like the guy actually entered the theater room where the movie was being shown, while the truth probably is that these guys were only in the lobby of the theater. That paints a significantly different, and less threatening, picture. But these guys don't really look like the parts they were intended to portray from the movie. Members of the public can and often would fail to notice or understand the red tips on the gun barrels. So yes, it may be stupid for them to react as they did, but it's still understandable since our country has no shortage of stupid people.
    As for those of us with more gun savvy, we'd be far more likely to notice the red tips on the gun. We'd discount them entirely when viewing the group in the lobby. But when viewing one of them in the parking lot on the way in? Since they don't look like the parts they were intended to portray from the movie? If we didn't see the red tip? Since they don't look like the SHIELD agents in the movie? Tough call. Certainly enough to raise suspicion.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Damn! I am not going to read all the response posts here because there is such "short sightedness" mixed is with a few intelligent responses because it can be a waste of time so I will just point out what I think is obvious.
    Why do people constantly ignore basic human nature. It happens in so many different scenarios from love and sex to survival.
    In this case it is about survival which fear plays a large part in facilitating!
    In view of Aurora this guy should have gotten the natural response of completely scared people who feared for their life! PERIOD From on high are you serious about analyzing such a situation that so replicates what happened at a Batman movie with all that carnage. You must be delirious!
    Hey next active shooter situation just jump up in front of him to make sure he isn't just kidding and firing blanks!
    This was a stupid stupid stupid stunt!
    On the other hand look at this scenario. A law abiding CCP takes this guy out. They later find out it was all just a great publicity stunt and he really wouldn't have hurt anyone. The citizen did react understandably to the situation given human nature and the similarity to Aurora but now those that know better would be saying...."see you can't trust just regular citizens with a gun. They have no idea who they are shooting, they're just crazy cowboys and Rambo wannabees! We don't need stronger gun control, we need to confiscate all guns! Only the cops should have guns!"
    So to deny human nature is what is really crazy.
    Trust the Govt. They're only looking out for your welfare. Hell, some are labeling the IRS as Tyrannical these days. Isn't that crazy?

Of course those red tips would be a guarantee and you would you would be safe and insure that nobody would overreact to this stupidity.
    As responsible gun owners we can never make a mistake and overreact! As responsible people in any management position dealing with the public they should not overlook human nature and allow such stunts to put so many people at risk!
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    On the other hand look at this scenario. A law abiding CCP takes this guy out. They later find out it was all just a great publicity stunt and he really wouldn't have hurt anyone. The citizen did react understandably to the situation given human nature and the similarity to Aurora but now those 'that think' they know better would be saying...."see you can't trust just regular citizens with a gun. They have no idea who they are shooting, they're just crazy cowboys and Rambo wannabees! We don't need stronger gun control, we need to confiscate all guns! Only the cops should have guns!"
    It's also interesting to note that if any cop shoots and kills someone who is simply displaying a toy gun or a BB gun, everyone would condemn the person who was shot, while proclaiming that the cop 'did his job', the cop 'did the right thing', the cop 'did not have time to find out if it was a real gun or not', etc...etc...
    But if any legally armed citizen ended up shooting one of these dumba$$ses posing as an armed militant in a crowded theater, all of a sudden those same critics would start screaming about the armed citizen being some 'Dirty harry, Rambo wanna-be who needs to lose his/her gun rights and be thrown into the Gulag's until he/she rots.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Quote Originally Posted by AZSDFT View Post
    Really? ANYONE? (LEO EXCLUDED of course) You walk into a gas station, and see me with my firearm drawn, you will shoot me before you find out that I have a criminal you can't see on the ground in an isle? But in your first statement, what you said contradicts your second sentence. So which is it?

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you must be extremely sure of what you are doing when carrying a firearm. You have just taken on ten times more responsibility than the average citizen, and better be DAMN sure you are keenly aware of what is what, and whether or not you need to draw, let alone pull the trigger.

Please understand, I do not condem you for your opinion or what you have posted, I just want to understand what you are trying to say as well as add some clarification about what it means to carry a firearm for self defense, either OC or CCW.
    Read AGGRESSIVE, not deadly or life threatening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KCD1974 View Post
    He's REALLY lucky he didn't get shot, or at least drawn on....WOW that was REALLY dumb!
    Living next to Minnesota, I learned to expect that knee jerk response from you libs over there. Let me paraphrase you "HOW DARE YOU EXERCISE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT!"

Word to the wise: keep it in your holster when you cross the river. If you draw on me because I am openly carrying my firearm, which is a constitutional right in this state, not a privilege as your beloved Dayton would have you think, I will fire on you.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Living next to Minnesota, I learned to expect that knee jerk response from you libs over there.
    Was the dig of the spurs really necessary?
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Damn! I am not going to read all the response posts here because there is such "short sightedness" mixed is with a few intelligent responses because it can be a waste of time so I will just point out what I think is obvious.
    Why do people constantly ignore basic human nature. It happens in so many different scenarios from love and sex to survival.
    In this case it is about survival which fear plays a large part in facilitating!
    In view of Aurora this guy should have gotten the natural response of completely scared people who feared for their life! PERIOD From on high are you serious about analyzing such a situation that so replicates what happened at a Batman movie with all that carnage. You must be delirious!
    Hey next active shooter situation just jump up in front of him to make sure he isn't just kidding and firing blanks!
    This was a stupid stupid stupid stunt!
    On the other hand look at this scenario. A law abiding CCP takes this guy out. They later find out it was all just a great publicity stunt and he really wouldn't have hurt anyone. The citizen did react understandably to the situation given human nature and the similarity to Aurora but now those that know better would be saying...."see you can't trust just regular citizens with a gun. They have no idea who they are shooting, they're just crazy cowboys and Rambo wannabees! We don't need stronger gun control, we need to confiscate all guns! Only the cops should have guns!"
    So to deny human nature is what is really crazy.
    Trust the Govt. They're only looking out for your welfare. Hell, some are labeling the IRS as Tyrannical these days. Isn't that crazy?

Of course those red tips would be a guarantee and you would you would be safe and insure that nobody would overreact to this stupidity.
    As responsible gun owners we can never make a mistake and overreact! As responsible people in any management position dealing with the public they should not overlook human nature and allow such stunts to put so many people at risk!
    Wow. I'm sorry that a responsible CCW individual should really think about the situation before just drawing and shooting. And by your response, it's very difficult to figure out just what you are saying and how you feel. Was it the smartest thing to do ? Probably not, but this wasn't and "ACTIVE SHOOTER" situation either. If you look at the photo posted earlier and read the article you might have a better understanding of the situation. And PLEASE let us know your position instead of what you posted...

RED tips don't mean squat to me.

Everyone who has been defending and/or promoting this stunt as innocent needs to anwser a question to themselves.
    How difficult do you think it would be to put a RED PLASTIC TIP on any weapon to allow it to appear like a toy gun?
    I quess that is why LEO don't drop their guard just because the kid's gun has a red tip on the muzzle, what's with that anyway, can't they see the plastic tip it's RED.
    That said, you can forget logic and deal with the emotions of the day, the publics fear of the unknown in plain words some people are responding to the terror of it all. That is why you had phone calls to 911 in response to what they saw and what they felt at the time. That is human nature at its finest and not at the least in any way shape or form LOGICAL.
    Last edited by dogshawred; 05-14-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: clarification
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

I live just a couple of miles from the Aurora theater and remember the carnage and aftermath. As Dogshawred so aptly put: "How difficult do you think it would be to put a RED PLASTIC TIP on any weapon to allow it to appear like a toy gun?" Here's another question for you... how many of you can see colors in the dark? So to each of you that made your "I carry how I want, went I want, and want to shake the hand of those like me" point with righteous indignation, keep in mind that this posted thread isn't about you! It's about the a movie house stunt that was incredibly stupid, unbelievably insensitive, and insanely dangerous to ALL parties present. Do you think a stunt like that would get a pass in Colorado? Do you think the actors life wouldn't have been in real jeopardy? A lot of chest thumping goes on in these pages... and that's all well and good, we all have at least one good war story (whether it's true or not)... but there's a time and a place for it. This thread isn't it.
    Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. ~Col. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Living next to Minnesota, I learned to expect that knee jerk response from you libs over there. Let me paraphrase you "HOW DARE YOU EXERCISE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT!"

Word to the wise: keep it in your holster when you cross the river. If you draw on me because I am openly carrying my firearm, which is a constitutional right in this state, not a privilege as your beloved Dayton would have you think, I will fire on you.

I'm not liberal, I live in MN but that doesn't make me liberal at all. Secondly, there is a big difference between open carrying and having a rifle and tact gear walking into a theater. After seeing the above picture, I wouldn't draw on any of those dweebs....it's pretty obvious they are in costumes and not actual bad guys. Still a dumb idea, but clearly NOT as tactical looking as the article would have implied.

I don't think that advising that you'll shoot me is a great idea, not as it is a "threat" against me, just not good manners...I didn't even reply to anything you posted. I'm not quite sure how you gathered that I'd draw on ANYONE that was open carrying a firearm. Where did you get that idea? I said the person that dressed in "full tactical gear", as described in the article I read, was lucky they didn't get drawn on or shot. That was BEFORE I saw the pictures which clearly shows there is NO way you could confuse them. Secondly, I never said I would draw on them or shoot them, simply that they are lucky no one did. So before you accuse me of having liberal (very offensive) knee jerk reactions, maybe read some of my other posts. You simply took a one line response and had your own knee jerk reaction to what I wrote. About 10 other people, from other states, also wrote the same thing, I don't see you posting how liberal they are. Have a good day, btw, I'll be in WI in a few weeks, It's a great state, I'm looking forward to the trip, I'll keep my eye out for open carrying dudes, if I spot one I'll go up and introduce myself....maybe I'll buy you a coffee....Have a good day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234