Have you ever shot Gangsta style? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Have you ever shot Gangsta style?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, why would I do something that stupid

89 77.39%
  • No, but I thought about it

5 4.35%
  • Yes but I'm ashamed to admit it

3 2.61%
  • Yes but I was goofing off with friends

11 9.57%
  • Now that's shootin

7 6.09%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever shot Gangsta style?

Gansta Style- waste of lead

About a year ago I shot an IDPA match one of the stages was laying on your side, so the thought was shoot that gansta style- could hit crap. Then I watched several others try the same thing, their results were about the same lots of misses. Conclusion if you are going to shoot that way you'll need lots of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by drsmith58 View Post
    About a year ago I shot an IDPA match one of the stages was laying on your side, so the thought was shoot that gansta style- could hit crap. Then I watched several others try the same thing, their results were about the same lots of misses. Conclusion if you are going to shoot that way you'll need lots of rounds.
    Let me be the first to welcome you to USA Carry, drsmith58.

As for shooting gangsta style at an IDPA match, have you had lots and lots of practice with this method?

4. I too selected one of the yes answers, fortunately I had practiced shooting from all types of angles and yes even firearm sideways. I also have shot in IDPA matches where you were on your side to engage the target shooting under an obstacle. The sight picture is somewhat difficult getting used to, however if practiced it can be an effective hold technique. For those veterans out there you know you can never predict what positions you will find yourself in while engaging your "target" and trying to stay somewhat covered/concealed at the same time. This technique proved useful outside the competition, practice, training arena. Is this the preferred technique absolutely not however being prepared for possible situations is preferred.

SFC Carnes
    US ARMY
    Deployed

Quote Originally Posted by BoKat96 View Post
    I too selected one of the yes answers, fortunately I had practiced shooting from all types of angles and yes even firearm sideways. I also have shot in IDPA matches where you were on your side to engage the target shooting under an obstacle. The sight picture is somewhat difficult getting used to, however if practiced it can be an effective hold technique. For those veterans out there you know you can never predict what positions you will find yourself in while engaging your "target" and trying to stay somewhat covered/concealed at the same time. This technique proved useful outside the competition, practice, training arena. Is this the preferred technique absolutely not however being prepared for possible situations is preferred.

SFC Carnes
    US ARMY
    Deployed
    Let me be the first to welcome you to BoKat96. Thanks for sharing your insight!

6. Poll: Shooting Gangsta Style?

So, What exactly is shooting gangster style? Is that the absurd shooting style where you stand firing with one arm outstretched and your pistol cocked parallel to your body? If this is the case, no. Otherwise I am not sure what is meant?

7. I've done it, but only for S&G's. Made sure no one else was around. :)

I know this is an old thread but I thought I needed to comment anyway. Mainly for safety reasons. Tilting the gun sideways, known as "canting", is not an effective combat shooting methodology. It will get you killed!

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I needed to comment anyway. Mainly for safety reasons. Tilting the gun sideways, known as "canting", is not an effective combat shooting methodology. It will get you killed!

What do you mean by this?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    Yeah, what he said???

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    If you are in a gun fight with someone, wouldn't you want to have managed recoil? Try shooting with the gun rotated 90 degrees and see how well you recover from recoil. Also note how quickly you can re-acquire the target. If I am shooting it out with a bad guy, I want gravity to be on my side when trying to manage recoil. This way I recover quickly for subsequent shots if needed. I am not talking about a slight cant of 30 degrees that you would use if you were shooting weak hand. I am talking about the 90 degree, one handed cant you see these "gangsta" types use. They aren't going to win many gun battles using that method. They may think it looks cool but it will most likely get them killed in an actual gun fight.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast