Firearm purchase delayed by an NICS background check? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Firearm purchase delayed by an NICS background check?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    Are you like me and have been delayed by a NICS background check when you have attempted to purchase a firearm? After being delayed yet again when I attempted a purchase in March, I decided to apply for an UPIN to keep future delays from possibly occurring. Having an UPIN is not a guarantee there won't be a future delay but it will help. I obtained the NTN (transaction number) from my FFL and submitted my application. Less than 2 weeks later, I received a letter back from the DOJ/FBI. I was excited that I had received my number so quickly. As I read the letter, they acknowledged receiving my application but apologized that there will be a delay in processing my request. They were just now addressing requests received in November 2012. So there will be at least 120 day delay before they will be looking at my request. And I thought waiting so long on my CCL from the state agency here in OK was long. But hopefully it will help me in the future as I buy more firearms. I urge anyone that has been delayed to apply for an UPIN and maybe not be delayed again. Ask your FFL for your NTN to include on your application as it will give the FBI folks something to refer to as they address your request. Here is the link to the brochure and VAF to help you out. Good Luck.

    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf
    Davcommander, could you please let those on the forum, who do not know the term UPIN, like myself, know what UPIN stands for? I clicked the website link but did not see the acronym UPIN anywhere. Thank you. :)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Davcommander, could you please let those on the forum, who do not know the term UPIN, like myself, know what UPIN stands for? I clicked the website link but did not see the acronym UPIN anywhere. Thank you. :)
    Not him but UPIN means Unique Personal Identification Number.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzmanluv269 View Post
    According to Oregon firearms federation it is a NICS policy that after three business days if there is no outright denial the FFL May at there discretion complete the sale to you hope this helps.
    @oz, Yes that is correct. If there is no reply within 3 business days after the check was submitted, the dealer may release the weapon. However, all large national chains (Bass Pro, Academy Sports, Cabalas Wal Mart, etc.) will not release because some states require a full release before you may purchase. It is policy that if one state's guidelines are more strict than an others, they will make the most strict guidelines chain wide. The 3 day release works well with private dealers. This is were the UPIN comes into play.

  5. #14
    UPIN = Unique Personal Identification Number. When a back ground check is completed, all information checked is deleted and no file is maintained on you. So each time you purchase a gun, the DOJ/FBI must check all sources every time. When you apply for a UPIN, you are asking them to maintain a file on you called a Voluntary Application File (VAF). This way with a VAF in place and assigned a UPIN, when you complete the paperwork to purchase, you provide your UPIN and the FBI may then access all your info much quicker because it is already all together. Thanks for the opportunity to make this clearer wolf_fire.

  6. #15
    Great we have an actual FFL dealer here. S&W in your experience, have you found many buyers with a UPIN get delayed? It has been suggested that my problem could have something to do with my security clearance while I was in the Navy, another because I have an ex that has gotten into trouble due to drugs and since our names are linked (unfortunately) forever that could be a problem. In either case wouldn't having a UPIN help me?

  7. After my arrest and trial that I was found not guilty of pointing a firearm at a person. The first time in my life and buying many firearms I was denied during a back ground check for my last AK, I was told after 3 days if I remember they did not reply I could just pick up my rifle. And I picked it up three days later. Since then I have bought five hand guns without being denied. I am thinking after my arrest on a firearms charge, I was put in their data base when they checked found I was acquitted from then on I was removed from the holding data base. Anyhow it has happened to many other I have read and been told. Just more bumps in the road us law abiding citizens must endure today.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    333
    Last July, I was denied the purchase of a firearm due to stolen identity. An appeal of the decision had me send in fingerprints which were found to not match the ones on record. I then applied for a UPIN and received it within 3 weeks of the original denial. I've used it since with no issues whatsoever
    "People should not fear their governments...governments should fear their people!"

  9. #18
    Put on hold twice, while My Wife went right through. P***ed me off, as I have held top secret clearance in the past. Both times it went the five days and the gun was sold to me. Just a bunch of lazies that do the checking. May have been time for coffee or a potty break, who knows??
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    Are you like me and have been delayed by a NICS background check when you have attempted to purchase a firearm? After being delayed yet again when I attempted a purchase in March, I decided to apply for an UPIN to keep future delays from possibly occurring. Having an UPIN is not a guarantee there won't be a future delay but it will help. I obtained the NTN (transaction number) from my FFL and submitted my application. Less than 2 weeks later, I received a letter back from the DOJ/FBI. I was excited that I had received my number so quickly. As I read the letter, they acknowledged receiving my application but apologized that there will be a delay in processing my request. They were just now addressing requests received in November 2012. So there will be at least 120 day delay before they will be looking at my request. And I thought waiting so long on my CCL from the state agency here in OK was long. But hopefully it will help me in the future as I buy more firearms. I urge anyone that has been delayed to apply for an UPIN and maybe not be delayed again. Ask your FFL for your NTN to include on your application as it will give the FBI folks something to refer to as they address your request. Here is the link to the brochure and VAF to help you out. Good Luck.

    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf
    Here is my UPIN Story.



    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...mber-upin.html
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzmanluv269 View Post
    According to Oregon firearms federation it is a NICS policy that after three business days if there is no outright denial the FFL May at there discretion complete the sale to you hope this helps.
    I was told five by my FFL. My father-in-law was delayed after having his rights reinstated and the FFL told him if they haven't heard back in 5 days he could come pick it up. They called him in 2 days though so it never got tested.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast