Firearm purchase delayed by an NICS background check?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Firearm purchase delayed by an NICS background check?

  1. #1

    Exclamation Firearm purchase delayed by an NICS background check?

    Are you like me and have been delayed by a NICS background check when you have attempted to purchase a firearm? After being delayed yet again when I attempted a purchase in March, I decided to apply for an UPIN to keep future delays from possibly occurring. Having an UPIN is not a guarantee there won't be a future delay but it will help. I obtained the NTN (transaction number) from my FFL and submitted my application. Less than 2 weeks later, I received a letter back from the DOJ/FBI. I was excited that I had received my number so quickly. As I read the letter, they acknowledged receiving my application but apologized that there will be a delay in processing my request. They were just now addressing requests received in November 2012. So there will be at least 120 day delay before they will be looking at my request. And I thought waiting so long on my CCL from the state agency here in OK was long. But hopefully it will help me in the future as I buy more firearms. I urge anyone that has been delayed to apply for an UPIN and maybe not be delayed again. Ask your FFL for your NTN to include on your application as it will give the FBI folks something to refer to as they address your request. Here is the link to the brochure and VAF to help you out. Good Luck.

    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf

  2.   
  3. #2
    According to Oregon firearms federation it is a NICS policy that after three business days if there is no outright denial the FFL May at there discretion complete the sale to you hope this helps.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzmanluv269 View Post
    According to Oregon firearms federation it is a NICS policy that after three business days if there is no outright denial the FFL May at there discretion complete the sale to you hope this helps.
    That's true, but few if any FFLs will do that. I haven't met one, but I have never been denied. Just lucky I guess. :)
    Jim Page

    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

  5. I've been delayed every time but 2 I've bought a gun since '94. Some were as little as 20 minutes and in a couple other cases they called the next morning. Considering that I've probably bought or sold 60 guns since '94, I tend to take the 'instant' part of the name with a grain of salt. I have no intention of getting a UPIN or whatever it's called. I'm used to the old 48 hour delay that Alabama had in place before the Brady Bill passed. None of the waits I've had were that long. It's not like going to a gun shop is a big trial for me or anything.

    I did have a slight issue with a local PD back about 15 years ago. I bought a Colt Commander from a shop out of town but still in state. When I filled out the 4473, there was another similar form for the local PD. As usual, I left the Social Security number section blank (I refuse to give my Social Security number out to anyone unless it is absolutely necessary). The shop owner pointed it out and I told him that I wasn't giving it to them. His response was that if I didn't, they wouldn't process it. I told him that I didn't care if they did or not since the NICS was supposed to take care of that anyhow and they'd cleared already (they called back while we were arguing about the missing SSN on the local form) and if that was a deal breaker, then I wanted my $500 back. He faxed it over and they called him about the missing SSN while I was still there, so I told the person on the phone the same thing I had told the FFL. About 20 minutes later, they called back and told him to go ahead.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    116
    Interesting event yesterday: I won a gun in a local raffle so stopped buy a small FFL to pick it up. He showed ment the 'fee schedule' and allowed me to listen in on the NIBC call. In my state, the fees amount to $5.

    So why do other shops (national chains etc) tack on $30 to that amount (another recent purchase) and other local FFL's $20(a fecent transfer)? Just thinking about what a reasonable mark-up might be for these services.

    Any thoughts?
    ________

    DRNurse1

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNurse1 View Post
    Interesting event yesterday: I won a gun in a local raffle so stopped buy a small FFL to pick it up. He showed ment the 'fee schedule' and allowed me to listen in on the NIBC call. In my state, the fees amount to $5.

    So why do other shops (national chains etc) tack on $30 to that amount (another recent purchase) and other local FFL's $20(a fecent transfer)? Just thinking about what a reasonable mark-up might be for these services.

    Any thoughts?
    Several thoughts.
    As an FFL gunshop, it takes up our time doing a transfer. A gun coming in must be unboxed and checked for the serial number on the gun. It then has to be logged into our bound books. When a customer comes in to get the gun, we have to have the Form 4473 filled out. We then have to fill out our part of that form and copy their license(s). We have to make the NICS call to in our case, FDLE Firearms Transfer Program. If approved, then we collect the monies, transfer the gun to the owner if no waiting period due to them having a CCW license. We then complete the Form 4473 and log the gun out of our bound books. If no license, then at the end of the waiting period the form get finished and the gun logged out. Our total time involved can be up to an hour or as little as a half hour depending on the NICS check time spent waiting on the phone. For that, we charge $25 for the transfer and $7.00 for the call in. Any number of guns per customer can be done on that day for the same $7.00 but $25 is per gun. Remember, time is money. And if there is a problem with the sale, BATFE will come after the LGS also.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  8. At what point does the "instant" background check become not so instant? After 10 firearms purchased or more? What is their uh-oh, we gotta check a bit further trigger?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I've been delayed every time but 2 I've bought a gun since '94. Some were as little as 20 minutes and in a couple other cases they called the next morning. Considering that I've probably bought or sold 60 guns since '94, I tend to take the 'instant' part of the name with a grain of salt. I have no intention of getting a UPIN or whatever it's called. I'm used to the old 48 hour delay that Alabama had in place before the Brady Bill passed. None of the waits I've had were that long. It's not like going to a gun shop is a big trial for me or anything.

    I did have a slight issue with a local PD back about 15 years ago. I bought a Colt Commander from a shop out of town but still in state. When I filled out the 4473, there was another similar form for the local PD. As usual, I left the Social Security number section blank (I refuse to give my Social Security number out to anyone unless it is absolutely necessary). The shop owner pointed it out and I told him that I wasn't giving it to them. His response was that if I didn't, they wouldn't process it. I told him that I didn't care if they did or not since the NICS was supposed to take care of that anyhow and they'd cleared already (they called back while we were arguing about the missing SSN on the local form) and if that was a deal breaker, then I wanted my $500 back. He faxed it over and they called him about the missing SSN while I was still there, so I told the person on the phone the same thing I had told the FFL. About 20 minutes later, they called back and told him to go ahead.
    Form 4473 does not require it to be provided but many times, not having it will result in a Conditional No/Delay. If provided, it saves time as there may be multiple people with the same name. James Smith (1) may be a felon while James Smith (20) is not. All have to be checked if no SSN is given. But remember, a LGS can deny a sale for any reason if they feel something is wrong and if the local laws say it needs a SSN, then the local law would prevail. We don't block any sales because of the lack of SSN here in Florida and the municipalities have no say.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    At what point does the "instant" background check become not so instant? After 10 firearms purchased or more? What is their uh-oh, we gotta check a bit further trigger?
    Unknown. All that is asked is Long Gun, Handgun, Other, or combo. At most they would know three firearms at any one time here. YMMV depending on how thuggish your state is. Some states require you to have a permit to even buy a gun.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    That's true, but few if any FFLs will do that. I haven't met one, but I have never been denied. Just lucky I guess. :)
    Our Firearms Transfer Program calls us at the end of 3 business days ( weekends excluded from those days so it can be 5 days total). If we don't hear back from them, we place a repeat call with the #. That then gets a yes or no answer from the FTP. The form 4473 does have a space on it for if the FTP later calls with an answer both for before we transfer and if after we transfer. The onus is always the LGS's.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast