Family attacked for being "In the wrong neighborhood." - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Family attacked for being "In the wrong neighborhood."

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Being old and out of shape can be a legitimate defense for shooting someone who is attacking you.
    I corrected your post.....
    Please look up the definition of 'Disparity of Force'.
    It can serve you well in a self defense situation imvho.

Disparity of Force is defined as a situation that any reasonable person would conclude places you at an overwhelming disadvantage in your effort to protect yourself against immediate and serious bodily injury.

Here are some examples of Disparity of Force:

•Large stronger man attacking small weaker man.
    •Able bodied man attacking disabled man.
    •Man attacking woman.
    •Two or more men attacking one man.
    •Two or more juveniles attacking one man or one woman.
    •Man or woman known to have training in the martial arts/boxing attacking untrained man or woman.

Again, your adversaries (even in a disparity of force situation) must be demonstrating the ability, opportunity, and intent to inflict immediate and serious bodily injury to you or those around you in order to justify you shooting in self defense.

Here's an interesting article on this topic.....

A Lesson in Disparity of Force...
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    this is why I have and carry a gun, I am too old and out of shape to defend myself or my loved ones with my hands, I need the assistance of a tool to be able to defend myself from random attacks like this one.
    I am in the same boat as you are. I'm to old to fight but too young to die.
    I've been recovering from 3 surgeries after being misdiagnosed. Now the hip that was the original injury is messed up but I'm too young for a hip replacement.
    That and the fact that after 6 years of injections, surgery, phsyical therapy and stem cell treatment, I have put on about 37 extra pounds!
    I have also increased my smoking to two packs a day as there isn't much I could do except sit around and smoke!
    I am at last at the end of this journey and will be starting a work hardening program on Monday. So I can finally start to get a handle on things.

I think I might have dumped too much info on this post.... Sorry guys.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Being old and out of shape is hardly a defense for shooting someone trying to fight you.
    that sir is your opinion, however it is my opinion that if I can articulate the fact that I felt that my life or a loved ones life was endangered by a person acting in a bellicose manner it could argued that using deadly physical force could be justified.
    That is my opinion, I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one. and YMMV

What, no hate crime...Oh, that's right...never mind. I wonder if Jesse is planning on calling this type of behavior out? Oh wait, that's right. Nevermind. As caucasions, they were in the wrong neighborhood as only they can be.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Pull your weapon point it center mass give him the opportunity to leave, threat to life, disparity of force well within the law to drop this scumbag. Have wife call police and tell them better get here quick.

As soon as I'm told I'm in the wrong neighborhood, my sidearm is drawn...Scumbags like that will scatter like roaches. This is the very reason all law abiding citizens should have a chl and carry in a way that you can draw fast!

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    this is why I have and carry a gun, I am too old and out of shape to defend myself or my loved ones with my hands, I need the assistance of a tool to be able to defend myself from random attacks like this one.
    Being old and out of shape is hardly a defense for shooting someone trying to fight you. Now, if there is several of them or weapons involved that is another situation.
    You ignore disparity of force as part of the justification for using lethal force.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Wow, Im going to try and keep the anger under control for this one.....I understand our justice system is a bit broken due to over crowding, but I dont understand how 2 of the 3 family members are knocked unconscious, they only recieved a 2nd degree battery charge, especially when bones were broken, and obvious threats were made, if it were me, I would have drawn and fired the minute I was attacked, assuming I had enough time, although, I probably wouldnt have left the store without my weapon pointed at them, and would have had Police on the phone.
    Hope the family recovers and some justice is served.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    I corrected your post.....
    Please look up the definition of 'Disparity of Force'.
    It can serve you well in a self defense situation imvho.

Disparity of Force is defined as a situation that any reasonable person would conclude places you at an overwhelming disadvantage in your effort to protect yourself against immediate and serious bodily injury.

Here are some examples of Disparity of Force:

•Large stronger man attacking small weaker man.
    •Able bodied man attacking disabled man.
    •Man attacking woman.
    •Two or more men attacking one man.
    •Two or more juveniles attacking one man or one woman.
    •Man or woman known to have training in the martial arts/boxing attacking untrained man or woman.

Again, your adversaries (even in a disparity of force situation) must be demonstrating the ability, opportunity, and intent to inflict immediate and serious bodily injury to you or those around you in order to justify you shooting in self defense.

Here's an interesting article on this topic.....

A Lesson in Disparity of Force...
    Very true thanks for posting this. We older men, who are disabled, have a right to not be beaten or have great bodily harm done to us! If threaten my hand goes to my weapon. If charged my weapon comes out and is fired. I don't think any court is going to find me guilty of protecting myself or my family from great bodily harm or death. I'm not able to fight because of my disability. My sidearm is the only way I have to defend myself. I will use it if threaten.
    Disparity of force is what makes us able to defend ourselves, legally.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman1976 View Post
    It's easy to sit at our keyboards and say what we would have or might have done but it sounds like the attacks were a surprise. The story reads that the first attacker in the gas station made that statement and then hit the guy so he likely had little or no time to react. Cowards like these guys never fight fair and never fight alone. So in this situation I doubt the guy would have had time to even draw a gun. I'm glad that the family is alive but these stories piss me off to no end. You all know good and well it won't be classified as a hate crime either. It's a double standard that isn't going anywhere.
    Not wishing to upset or belittle anyone but this would be a not brainer for the law if this was white attacking black regarding the hate crime aspect. It just seems to be the way the law looks at discriminatory actions.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast