Brady Center sues Georgia town over gun law - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brady Center sues Georgia town over gun law

1. I'd be happy if the Brady center fell off the earth. The suit is simply harassment. I'd be interested to know who was bankrolling this particular suit.

I live in Nelson. No one is being forced to own if they object. The law is because of the rural area and the city is divided by the county line. If they would read the bill they would see it

4. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. The Brady group and the ACLU were supportive when an Illinois town forbade guns, but sure got fired up when Kennesaw and now Nelson enact gun requirement ordinances.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Am I alone in thinking that the passage of this ordinance, however unserious it may have been, was merely a publicity stunt?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that the passage of this ordinance, however unserious it may have been, was merely a publicity stunt?

agreed. simply by the fact that all you have to do is say "no thanks" and you are cleared of not breaking this "law"

We would like to call it a political statement and yet publicity stunt works as well. Without saying anything directly they were trying to get the worlds attention again, just like Kennesaw, Ga. did in 1982. Putting them on notice that there are people in government that support gun ownership
    We should take a lesson from the Swiss, every able body male (20 to 30 yrs old) is required to have military training, a long rifle and a sealed can of ammo for that weapon just case of a uprising or invasion that needs to be fended off by its citizens. Just saying.

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Swiss army has long been a militia trained and structured to rapidly respond against foreign aggression. Swiss males grow up expecting to undergo basic military training, usually at age 20 in the Rekrutenschule (German for "recruit school"), the initial boot camp, after which Swiss men remain part of the "militia" in reserve capacity until age 30 (age 34 for officers).

Each such individual is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon (the 5.56x45mm Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P220 semi-automatic pistol for officers, military police, medical and postal personnel) at home or (as of 2010) in the local armoury (Zeughaus). Up until October 2007, a specified personal retention quantity of government-issued personal ammunition (50 rounds 5.56 mm / 48 rounds 9mm) was issued as well, which was sealed and inspected regularly to ensure that no unauthorized use had taken place.[4] The ammunition was intended for use while traveling to the army barracks in case of invasion.

In some 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles (fully automatic, or "selective fire") stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550 models. Additionally, there are some 320,000 semi-auto rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.[7][broken citation]

In 2005 over 10% of households contained handguns, compared to 18% of U.S. households that contained handguns. In 2005 almost 29% of households in Switzerland contained firearms of some kind, compared to almost 43% in the USA.[8]
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

8. Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post

We would like to call it a political statement and yet publicity stunt works as well. Without saying anything directly they were trying to get the worlds attention again, just like Kennesaw, Ga. did in 1982. Putting them on notice that there are people in government that support gun ownership
    We should take a lesson from the Swiss, every able body male (20 to 30 yrs old) is required to have military training, a long rifle and a sealed can of ammo for that weapon just case of a uprising or invasion that needs to be fended off by its citizens. Just saying.

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Swiss army has long been a militia trained and structured to rapidly respond against foreign aggression. Swiss males grow up expecting to undergo basic military training, usually at age 20 in the Rekrutenschule (German for "recruit school"), the initial boot camp, after which Swiss men remain part of the "militia" in reserve capacity until age 30 (age 34 for officers).

Each such individual is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon (the 5.56x45mm Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P220 semi-automatic pistol for officers, military police, medical and postal personnel) at home or (as of 2010) in the local armoury (Zeughaus). Up until October 2007, a specified personal retention quantity of government-issued personal ammunition (50 rounds 5.56 mm / 48 rounds 9mm) was issued as well, which was sealed and inspected regularly to ensure that no unauthorized use had taken place.[4] The ammunition was intended for use while traveling to the army barracks in case of invasion.

In some 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles (fully automatic, or "selective fire") stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550 models. Additionally, there are some 320,000 semi-auto rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.[7][broken citation]

In 2005 over 10% of households contained handguns, compared to 18% of U.S. households that contained handguns. In 2005 almost 29% of households in Switzerland contained firearms of some kind, compared to almost 43% in the USA.[8]
    Depending on what state you live in or what area of certain states, that's kinda an unwritten rule.

You not only need to read the Bill of Rights 2nd, you also have to research the debates around the ratification of same. The Militia mentioned in the 2nd is the whole of the people, able to own a firearm!

Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

10 USC CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA
    -snip-

CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA
    -snip-
    Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
    males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section
    313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
    declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
    and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
    National Guard.
    -snip-

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C13.txt

I dont think you should be allowed to file a lawsuit unless you are directly affected by whatever the law is.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234