M1 Garand Ammo Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand Ammo Question

1. M1 Garand Ammo Question

Ok. I have a 1944 M1 Garand. I bought it about 15 years ago from the CMP. I break it out of the safe every so often to shoot it. I had a large supply of Korean era surplus ammo to shoot. Over the years that's gone. I am unable to find any more surplus and was told modern 30-06 ammo is to strong and will bend or damage internal parts of the gun. I don't reload. Any idea where I can find a less powerful load to shoot? Anyone know the specs of the Korean era ammo compared to modern 30-06 rounds?

I cannot answer the modern rounds vs period designed rounds, but GunBot has some ammo if you are interested.

GunBot find 30-06 ammo in stock
    Get your government off my freedom!

American Eagle (Federal) makes 30-06 ammo specifically for use in the older M1 Garands...... Midway usually has some, although with the recent short comings on ammo....?

also check out the following: http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-1...MAX-M1-Garand/

Quote Originally Posted by chiroman View Post
    Ok. I have a 1944 M1 Garand. I bought it about 15 years ago from the CMP. I break it out of the safe every so often to shoot it. I had a large supply of Korean era surplus ammo to shoot. Over the years that's gone. I am unable to find any more surplus and was told modern 30-06 ammo is to strong and will bend or damage internal parts of the gun. I don't reload. Any idea where I can find a less powerful load to shoot? Anyone know the specs of the Korean era ammo compared to modern 30-06 rounds?
    Install the adjustable gas plug in your M1 and shoot whatever is on hand.

Link to Midway USA

Schuster DCM Adjustable Gas Plug Wrench WWII-Style M1 Garand Steel
    Last edited by MECHTESTER; 05-19-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk."---Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez (aka "The Rat")From The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

6. The CMP still has bulk cans of Greek surplus in 200 round ammo cans. You can also get a box of 25 clips to go with it the ammo was $98 and the clips were $25 the last I looked. I believe there is a slight delay in shipping but they will get it to you. The Greek ammo has a bimetallic jacket and attracts a magnet if that is a concern. The last time I was in Cabelas they had bulk cans of 500 rounds of reproduction M-2 for $399. The American Eagle works very well also. Neither the Cabela's bulk or the American Eagle ammo attracts a magnet.

Use American eagle in my 43 garand as well, Just bought 5 boxes 150 grn in Cabelas in Me. Hornady also makes a garand specific round in 168 grn with an A-max bullet.

CMP site showing Sales - Ammunition. $ 98.00 per 200 rds. NO clip included.

NOTHING say's it right like a M1 Garand. More proven kills then any other platform since. ( I'm sure someone will challenge the stats)
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Stick with 147-175gr. bullets loaded with something like IMR4895 or IMR4064, and you'll be fine.

The problem with Garands is shooting heavy bullets over slow powders, like IMR4350. It's not a matter of "power", but of pressure curve. Heavy bullets and slow powders bend the op rod.

Most commercial 150gr. FMJ loads should be ok.

+1

46gr of IMR 4064 with a Hornady 150 gr FMJBT

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Stick with 147-175gr. bullets loaded with something like IMR4895 or IMR4064, and you'll be fine.

The problem with Garands is shooting heavy bullets over slow powders, like IMR4350. It's not a matter of "power", but of pressure curve. Heavy bullets and slow powders bend the op rod.

Most commercial 150gr. FMJ loads should be ok.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast