Another happy ending. Woman shoots intruder. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another happy ending. Woman shoots intruder.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I wouldn't call this a happy outcome for her. Being forced to shoot a perp is a very unpleasant experience.
    It sure has hell beats being killed, maimed or raped by a perp. He played his hand, she held 9 trump cards. Though unpleasant, she took charge and refused to be a victim. It may not be a happy ending, but it is a positive ending.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Maybe her goal was simply to stop the threat, not be the cause of his death. I was always taught that stop the threat is both the legal and the ethical/moral rationale for opening fire on someone. I have tried to eliminate the thought of *wanting* someone to die for failing at an attempt to victimize me or mine. I've never been victimized physically, so it remains to be seen how well I have programmed myself. In fact, I hope it remains unseen until the day I die. But I know for sure that if I shoot and only wound someone, I will not consider myself a lesser marksman or that I didn't accomplish what I intended to accomplish by being armed in the first place. I sincerely hope that, even if I do have to shoot someone, they live to regret it and repent for their crimes.

Blues
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. Our attempt should never be to kill. It should be to stop the threat. My point was, and I probably didn't make it well since there was question, was that the BG was able to run from her bedroom, through the house, out the back door and into the yard before he collapsed. If he had been carrying something more serious than a kitchen knife, the threat quite possibly would not have been stopped. She was fortunate in this particular situation. A BG with a firearm would have been able to continue shooting back at her with the 9 shots in him since he was able to do all this running after he was shot. This was my point as to why a larger caliber may be something to think about, if that is, she can handle a larger caliber.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Had she have put two of those rounds in his head he would have dropped right then. The Mafia and serial killers have used .22LR pistols to kill with 1 round through the forehead. She would be wise to change to a .32 which is much better than the .22 and still has low recoil. 1 round in center mass placed well from a .32 or .380 have killed people. Either one gives you more punch.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. Our attempt should never be to kill. It should be to stop the threat. My point was, and I probably didn't make it well since there was question, was that the BG was able to run from her bedroom, through the house, out the back door and into the yard before he collapsed. If he had been carrying something more serious than a kitchen knife, the threat quite possibly would not have been stopped. She was fortunate in this particular situation. A BG with a firearm would have been able to continue shooting back at her with the 9 shots in him since he was able to do all this running after he was shot. This was my point as to why a larger caliber may be something to think about, if that is, she can handle a larger caliber.
    Just to be clear, I am not advocating for using a .22 as a defensive weapon. I only responded to a post where it seemed (at the time, but since clarified) like the lady's successful defense of herself was ignored in favor of slamming her for her choice of weapons. I personally carry a .45 whenever I can conceal it, and never less than a 9mm any other time, so obviously, this isn't a subject that I haven't thought long and hard about.

That said, as to your point that the BG could have returned fire if he had a gun since he still had enough energy to run away after 9 rounds finding their target in him, actually, he also could have charged her across the bedroom where she shot from and still severely injured her or killed her with the knife. And if he actually did have a gun, it would have been a completely different scenario from the beginning, and our discussion would be evaluating the victim's actions from a completely different perspective. Would she have felt safe retrieving and aiming her weapon while she was at gunpoint? I don't know, and neither does anyone else, but whether she would or wouldn't, the story would've been much different I would think.

My gut reaction to the way it went down was just good, I'm glad she was able to get to any weapon that was in her home, regardless of whether it was the caliber I would have chosen in preparation for a violent confrontation. That's all.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I hope she plans on buying a bigger weapon with more rounds but Thank God she had what she had and knew how to use it. She is lucky he decided not to press the issue before dying.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    Another happy ending. Woman shoots knife-wielding intruder (with a .22, no less) 9 times. Bad guy dead. Woman is slightly injured, but will be fine.

Police: Woman Shot Intruder 9 Times In Self Defense | www.wsbtv.com
    Good for her.....the only good rapist is a dead rapist imo.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

"She's smart, she's witty and obviously well prepared"

Kudos to her. However, we need to contact her and give her some more .22 ammo. You can't buy any in the stores, and she'll need to reload. I'll gladly send her a "brick" of .22's.
    G'Day and G'lock

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    She hit her target 9 freakin' times. Seems to me she's more than proficient with the gun she has.
    Proficient, yes. But not all altercations will allow the ability to get nine shots in. That suggests the need for a more powerful gun. She still did good though. I'm not faulting her in any way. Just sayin.....
    I've seen videos in many of my criminology classes where police light someone up with 9mm's, .40's or .45's and the guy keeps coming. 9 shots, depending on placement, doesn't hold a candle to what a whole lot of adrenaline and/or drugs can stand up to. One specific example we saw...a 6'3" 285lb ex-pro boxer on PCP took 6 .40 rounds, all to the chest and was still coming like he had just been slapped in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    She hit her target 9 freakin' times. Seems to me she's more than proficient with the gun she has.
    Proficient, yes. But not all altercations will allow the ability to get nine shots in. That suggests the need for a more powerful gun. She still did good though. I'm not faulting her in any way. Just sayin.....
    I've seen videos in many of my criminology classes where police light someone up with 9mm's, .40's or .45's and the guy keeps coming. 9 shots, depending on placement, doesn't hold a candle to what a whole lot of adrenaline and/or drugs can stand up to. One specific example we saw...a 6'3" 285lb ex-pro boxer on PCP took 6 .40 rounds, all to the chest and was still coming like he had just been slapped in the face.
    If the subject is armed with a knife or other such close-range weapon, this is when pelvic shots come in handy. I don't care how big you are, or what drugs you are on, once I shatter your pelvis with a .45 you're not coming any closer. .22 won't quite cut it for that.

I always enjoy reading posts that discuss the value or not of carry/using a 22 cal. weapon. My wife carries a Ruger SR22. She practices with it at least twice a month, is very comfortable using it and can put 10 rounds in your shirt pocket at 7 yards 9 out of ten times. The thing that sometimes is missed in a discussion like this one is, she carries it, feels good about her ability to use it and we believe she would not hesitate to use it. Of course that is a variable that can't be known until the time comes to use it.
    I open carry a Ruger SR9 everywhere I go and she does not like the recoil or the "feel" of the gun.
    I guess a discussion of what caliber gives us something to talk about, but as far as we are concerned, if you are comfortable with your weapon, feel good carrying it, can hit what you are shooing at, go with it and if the BG walks or runs out the house to die instead of dropping dead at your feet so be it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast