Another happy ending. Woman shoots intruder. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Another happy ending. Woman shoots intruder.

A 22 is far better than any gun you aren't going to carry because you aren't comfortable with it. ANY gun is far better than any gun you aren't going to carry because you aren't comfortable with it, so I'm not saying don't carry a 22. I'm just saying it's wise to go bigger if that option's available, and you have to be able to fire the gun comfortably and competently for it to be considered an available option. If someone can't be competent with anything bigger than a 22, then so be it. But experience has shown that it's more often the gun that makes that determination than the caliber. My wife originally had a 380 because we thought a 9mm was too much for her. Then she fired a Glock G26 one day and the whole world changed. It wasn't the caliber she had a problem with. It was the guns she had tried out in 9mm before that day. Now she's thinking of switching to my G27, which is just the same gun in 40 caliber. That doesn't mean there's a bigger caliber gun just waiting to be discovered for everyone out there, but that is the case for a lot of people. It seems to happen a lot more with women too. I think the tendency is for them, and maybe the men around them too, to just assume they can't handle larger calibers, and they just sort of psyche themselves out. That's what happened with us, both my wife and I. Once we disregarded 'opinions' and started looking at things with a clean slate, her gun selection started getting much easier. Training and practice did too (a nice side benefit).
    And as a side note, the lady in this story wasn't using a carry gun. This was a house gun. Moving up to a higher caliber in a house gun is easier than with a carry gun because there are fewer requirements to consider.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    A 22 is far better than any gun you aren't going to carry because you aren't comfortable with it. ANY gun is far better than any gun you aren't going to carry because you aren't comfortable with it, so I'm not saying don't carry a 22. I'm just saying it's wise to go bigger if that option's available, and you have to be able to fire the gun comfortably and competently for it to be considered an available option. If someone can't be competent with anything bigger than a 22, then so be it. But experience has shown that it's more often the gun that makes that determination than the caliber. My wife originally had a 380 because we thought a 9mm was too much for her. Then she fired a Glock G26 one day and the whole world changed. It wasn't the caliber she had a problem with. It was the guns she had tried out in 9mm before that day. Now she's thinking of switching to my G27, which is just the same gun in 40 caliber. That doesn't mean there's a bigger caliber gun just waiting to be discovered for everyone out there, but that is the case for a lot of people. It seems to happen a lot more with women too. I think the tendency is for them, and maybe the men around them too, to just assume they can't handle larger calibers, and they just sort of psyche themselves out. That's what happened with us, both my wife and I. Once we disregarded 'opinions' and started looking at things with a clean slate, her gun selection started getting much easier. Training and practice did too (a nice side benefit).
    And as a side note, the lady in this story wasn't using a carry gun. This was a house gun. Moving up to a higher caliber in a house gun is easier than with a carry gun because there are fewer requirements to consider.
    I agree with most of this, as you and I have said you still have to be comfortable with using it. That includes all aspects of using a gun including clearing a jam, loading a new magazine with ease, pointing and shooting whether that be a night or day.
    The question of what is the least size caliber will continue, I assume forever. But what is important to my wife and I is that we both can look each other in the eye and say that we are comfortable in what we do to protect ourselves and the ones we love.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    She needs a bigger gun.
    I'd say it was perfectly adequate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Proficient, yes. But not all altercations will allow the ability to get nine shots in. That suggests the need for a more powerful gun. She still did good though. I'm not faulting her in any way. Just sayin.....
    Idk about that, I've timed a mag dump (10 rounds in each) with my .22 and favorite .40 and the .22 is at 3.6 seconds and the .40 takes 6.1 seconds. I think 10 rounds of .22 stinger would be a hell of a lot better than 5 rounds of .40 in a life or death situation which is why I feel comfortable carrying only my P22 on hot or lazy days. Or when I burn up all my .40 and 9mm like I did yesterday lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by logunowner View Post
    I agree with most of this, as you and I have said you still have to be comfortable with using it. That includes all aspects of using a gun including clearing a jam, loading a new magazine with ease, pointing and shooting whether that be a night or day.
    The question of what is the least size caliber will continue, I assume forever. But what is important to my wife and I is that we both can look each other in the eye and say that we are comfortable in what we do to protect ourselves and the ones we love.
    A thing most people forget about a lot of .22 semi-autos is that a lighter weight can effect accuracy negatively for some. I have a .22 conversion kit for my STI and a P22 as well as SR22 (which I don't carry at all) and all are heavy enough that they offer up a higher level of comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Idk about that, I've timed a mag dump (10 rounds in each) with my .22 and favorite .40 and the .22 is at 3.6 seconds and the .40 takes 6.1 seconds. I think 10 rounds of .22 stinger would be a hell of a lot better than 5 rounds of .40 in a life or death situation which is why I feel comfortable carrying only my P22 on hot or lazy days. Or when I burn up all my .40 and 9mm like I did yesterday lol
    Five rounds? You need a bigger gun. Remember we aren't talking about a carry gun here. This is a gun she had in her house. The G27 my wife wants to carry holds eight rounds, and it's a Baby Glock designed for carry. A house gun would hold more than that, and would generally be easier to control due to size and weight. I'd take 10 rounds of 40 over 10 rounds of 22 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But as logunowner and I have both pointed out, it's more than just caliber and gun. The person holding it has to be comfortable and proficient with it. Sometimes that will mean a smaller gun will have to do. I've just seen many instances where people have been 'talked' out of a better, higher caliber gun by the opinions of others convincing them they can't handle it, only to discover later that they can handle it quite easily, if they get the right gun. Unfortunately a lot of people never discover this because they never come across that right gun. It's actually kind of fun to watch when they do though. You can almost see the light bulb come on over their heads. Some of you may have seen this in fact, but not really realized what you were seeing. It often gets mistaken for the enthusiasm of a person shooting for the first time and discovering they really like it. Two people at the range where my wife discovered the G26 thought she was a first time shooter because she was so excited about finding a gun that truly met her needs and was comfortable to shoot.
    Maybe a 22 is the right gun for the lady in this story because maybe she can't handle anything bigger. We'll never know. Cojo pointed out that it was perfectly adequate for her this time, but that was only because her attacker stopped when she started shooting. Obviously he was still capable of attacking her and we all know that many assailants still do when being shot. Had he done so, it's entirely possible she may never have gotten the chance to get off those ten shots. Had he continued the attack, she may have only been able to manage to get off two or three. If there had only been a couple of shots possible, the caliber becomes even more important. It worked out for her, and that's great. More power to her. And more power to anyone else who ever defends themselves with a 22, a 25 or any other small caliber handgun. My hat is off to them. But when you are basically betting on your life, you try to play the strongest hand you can. You owe it to yourself to make absolutely certain you're using the best possible tool available to you. Cutting corners or playing 'good enough' aren't smart when your life is at stake.
    And larger calibers aren't synonymous with less comfort or less ease of handling. My 45s are more comfortable and easier for me to handle than my 40s are. I bought the G27 and a Sig P226 because I thought it would be nice to have more capacity, but they are much worse for me to shoot than my 45s, or at least than my Glock 45s anyway. I plan to sell the Sig and was going to sell the G27 until my wife expressed an interest in it. And my 45s don't all shoot the same either. My Smith 45 shoots and handles much different than the Glocks do. Never, EVER judge a caliber by shooting one, or even only a few, guns in that caliber. They are most definitely not all the same. Neither are peoples' shooting hands either. What works well for one person will not necessarily work well for another.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

For me the bottom line is that those of us that have taken the time to educate ourselves about self defense and acted on it, are a lot better off than those that believe a sign placed at a building or a law making it illegal for someone to hurt them is just as good as having a gun. Thank goodness this women believed it was her responsibility to protect herself and not rely on others.

JSDinTexas Guest
    People who defend/approve the use of a .22 for defense usually have convinced themselves that it is enough gun because they carry one and try to justify doing it. It is the same mindset that just wants to "stop the threat" instead of burning the BG down.
    As I have said elsewhere: carry and do what you want. The decision will go only three ways - you'll be dead and not have to worry about it, you'll be alive for a while to watch your household and family be ravaged and then probably killed, or you'll be alive standing over the trash saying thank goodness I had enough firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Had she have put two of those rounds in his head he would have dropped right then. The Mafia and serial killers have used .22LR pistols to kill with 1 round through the forehead. She would be wise to change to a .32 which is much better than the .22 and still has low recoil. 1 round in center mass placed well from a .32 or .380 have killed people. Either one gives you more punch.

Shoulda, woudla, coulda

She stop the threat, she protected herself. DONE!
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    People who defend/approve the use of a .22 for defense usually have convinced themselves that it is enough gun because they carry one and try to justify doing it. It is the same mindset that just wants to "stop the threat" instead of burning the BG down.
    You better hope that you never have to fire your weapon in self defense from here on out, because if you do and you kill someone, the above statement will be the prosecutor's #1 umm.....smoking gun piece of evidence that you had death on your mind, and not self-defense. Intentionally killing someone is illegal. Defending yourself and stopping the threat with appropriate levels of force, even in the most anti-gun states in the Union, is not.

If you want to reconsider your lapse in judgment for posting such self-incriminating drivel on a public forum, and edit that out, I would be happy to edit (or delete) my post in reply to it.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast