Concealed Carry License and changing residency from one state to another

Thread: Concealed Carry License and changing residency from one state to another

1. Concealed Carry License and changing residency from one state to another

Hope I'm not changing the subject but wish to ask a question about concealed laws. I lived in SC and have a SC concealed carry permit. While I lived in SC I also applied for and received a permit from Florida. Now, I just moved residency to NC. Do I now need to reapply or do my present permits carry over and valid in NC. Or, do I lose one or the other if I do not reapply in NC???

Thanks in advance

You need to notify both SC and FL about your move. Unless you own property in SC still, your permit will become invalid once you establish residency in NC as SC doesn't issue non-resident permits unless you own property. NC recognizes all other state permits so your FL permit will work until you get a NC permit. Your FL permit will remain valid, once you notify them of the change of address, and will expire on it's original expiration date.
    Charlie Given
    Benefactor Life Member NRA and NRA Golden Eagle
    Life Member Gun Owners of America, Life Member of Texas State Rifle Association

4. Quote Originally Posted by cgiven1 View Post
    You need to notify both SC and FL about your move. Unless you own property in SC still, your permit will become invalid once you establish residency in NC as SC doesn't issue non-resident permits unless you own property. NC recognizes all other state permits so your FL permit will work until you get a NC permit. Your FL permit will remain valid, once you notify them of the change of address, and will expire on it's original expiration date.
    Just because you own property in SC does not mean you can keep your SC permit. You must LIVE in SC. If you just own property here then that is the only way SC allows for a non-resident CWP. I'm not sure what Florida's rules are, but if it's a non-resident permit then I'm sure you'll just have to notify them of a change of address.

SC does have reciprocity with NC, however if you don't live in SC then your permit is not valid and that doesn't matter. And technically, until you get your Fl permit updated it may be invalid also. I'd jump on that ASAP, and also work on getting an NC permit.

5. Each state may have different rules on non-residency. Call each of them for proper info. When I moved from CT to NH, all I had to do was inform them over the phone that I was no longer a resident and gave them the updated info after telling them I'd like to keep my permit as a non-res.

Quote Originally Posted by in2health View Post
    Hope I'm not changing the subject but wish to ask a question about concealed laws. I lived in SC and have a SC concealed carry permit. While I lived in SC I also applied for and received a permit from Florida. Now, I just moved residency to NC. Do I now need to reapply or do my present permits carry over and valid in NC. Or, do I lose one or the other if I do not reapply in NC???

Thanks in advance
    Contact the Attorney General of NC 919-716-6400; the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division 803-896-7099; and the Florida Bureau of License Issuance 850-245-5691

You may also want to check each institutions websites. I have not looked those up for you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

If you will continue to OWN real property in SC, all you need do is notify SLED that you are moving and will be maintaining the property. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIVE IN SC, but you must maintain ownership and provide proof when time for renewal, etc.

GUNSMOAK.com - Lowcountry FireArm Safety Training
    Don't let PUBLIC EDUCATION be responsible for your legacy of "Gun Control". If you don't train them, who will?