Flare guns in some otherwise restricted areas - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flare guns in some otherwise restricted areas

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    The Navy and CG occasionally use the Moss 500/590 for flares. You're probably ok shooting most things out of a decent quality shotgun, as long as it's not something crazy like dragon's breath.
    I used a Mossberg 500.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

The Navy and CG occasionally use the Moss 500/590 for flares. You're probably ok shooting most things out of a decent quality shotgun, as long as it's not something crazy like dragon's breath.

Ok, so my next question is, is it legal, for self defense or otherwise?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Ok, so my next question is, is it legal, for self defense or otherwise?
    Carrying a loaded shotgun around in otherwise restricted areas, even if it's loaded with flares, would probably be frowned upon by most LEOs and judges.

Carrying a flare pistol around might be a different story. After Katrina, I bought a flare gun kit and put it in my car. If you were driving around in a place like Illinois, you would be legally better off carrying a loaded flare gun than an ordinary gun. I doubt there's established case law on this. You could justifiably say that you're apprehensive about the possibility of a terrorist attack or natural disaster, and wanted a way to signal to rescuers, without having to rely on electronics. Flare guns are intended for that purpose, and you were keeping it for its intended purpose.

Of course, if you're the victim of an attack, then you may have to improvise. Whether you're able to hit the target or not, a red flaming ball of fire would be at least as persuasive as the racking noise from a shotgun.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

wolfhunter Guest
    Carrying a loaded shotgun around in otherwise restricted areas, even if it's loaded with flares, would probably be frowned upon by most LEOs and judges.

Carrying a flare pistol around might be a different story. After Katrina, I bought a flare gun kit and put it in my car. If you were driving around in a place like Illinois, you would be legally better off carrying a loaded flare gun than an ordinary gun. I doubt there's established case law on this. You could justifiably say that you're apprehensive about the possibility of a terrorist attack or natural disaster, and wanted a way to signal to rescuers, without having to rely on electronics. Flare guns are intended for that purpose, and you were keeping it for its intended purpose.

Of course, if you're the victim of an attack, then you may have to improvise. Whether you're able to hit the target or not, a red flaming ball of fire would be at least as persuasive as the racking noise from a shotgun.
    Depends on how close that "red flaming ball" comes to them

Welcome to USA Carry, Boomboy. Are you going to introduce yourself in the new members intro forum?

Anyway, I wasn't aware that flares were measured in a certain gauge or caliber. By that, do you mean that it appears that the flare "rounds" appear as if they could fit in a 12 gauge shotgun? I myself would never try that.
    Well, on the packaging proper it refers to the flares as "12 gauge". Like this one below:

High Performance Red Aerial Signals - Orion Safety Products

Again, entertainment purposes only regarding my question.

This would go well in the ongoing defense loads and the law thread. As much as I feel it is asinine to use a person's choice of caliber against them, I'm pretty sure that most juries would frown upon burning the perp to a crisp.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

This would go well in the ongoing defense loads and the law thread. As much as I feel it is asinine to use a person's choice of caliber against them, I'm pretty sure that most juries would frown upon burning the perp to a crisp.
    The idea is that it's not really a "choice" in the conventional sense of the term, but an "all you've got lying around at the moment" kind of thing. If you only had a nail gun, that would be useful as well.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Flare guns are 12 gauge. Has any one shoot a12 gauge round in one?

Flyboy

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...stol-w-holster
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...e/265mm-flares
    Just one supplier of inexpensive surplus flare guns and the ammo. Also, adapters to use 12 ga. flares are available. Search a bit and you'll find other vendors.

Notice: Even though flare guns can be inexpensive; flares, new or surplus, aren't cheap.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234